ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
MotionX vs Garmin 276c

What can the the 276c do that MotionX cant? (other than be waterproof and have glove friendly controls). I was doing a little side by side at home type comparison of my 276c and both of the MotionX apps and there isn't anything that the MotionX apps cant do that my 276c can do but there are a lot of things that my iphone with MotionX can do that the 276 cant do.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
What can the the 276c do that MotionX cant? (other than be waterproof and have glove friendly controls). I was doing a little side by side at home type comparison of my 276c and both of the MotionX apps and there isn't anything that the MotionX apps cant do that my 276c can do but there are a lot of things that my iphone with MotionX can do that the 276 cant do.
my iphone works with my gloves on.... ymmv
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,002
Tell you where you are when there is no cell signal.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Cell signal is a weak argument, it run's of the satellites just like Garmin.
About the only thing MotionX can't do that Garmin products can is piss you off using their out dated "proprietary" mapping software. I've used MotionX GPS in 7 US states and in Mexico traveling to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Play del Carmen it just works. Little planning before you go so you have the maps downloaded which load directly on the phone in seconds.
What did me in was comparing the Garmin Oregon side by side with MotionX on a three day ride, just could not see the expense of Garmin.
Was a big Garmin user and spent lot's of money for new products and new map downloads...not again.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejedeye View Post
Cell signal is a weak argument, it run's of the satellites just like Garmin.
About the only thing MotionX can't do that Garmin products can is piss you off using their out dated "proprietary" mapping software. I've used MotionX GPS in 7 US states and in Mexico traveling to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Play del Carmen it just works. Little planning before you go so you have the maps downloaded which load directly on the phone in seconds.
What did me in was comparing the Garmin Oregon side by side with MotionX on a three day ride, just could not see the expense of Garmin.
Was a big Garmin user and spent lot's of money for new products and new map downloads...not again.
I have searched but is there any way to turn off the cell signal on an iphone? I know I can turn off data and wifi but cannot disable the cell service, the constant cell tower searching kills the battery pretty fast, if I put it in airplane mode it also kills the GPS.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
Tell you where you are when there is no cell signal.
I'm guessing you have no idea what you are talking about?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,747
Quote:
I have searched but is there any way to turn off the cell signal on an iphone? I know I can turn off data and wifi but cannot disable the cell service, the constant cell tower searching kills the battery pretty fast, if I put it in airplane mode it also kills the GPS.
With WiFi, you go into Airplane mode and then ONLY turn the wifi on - maybe works the same with the GPS ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
With WiFi, you go into Airplane mode and then ONLY turn the wifi on - maybe works the same with the GPS ?
Nope just tried it.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Quote:
Not that I've found. One thing I've noticed is if the iphone is charged up using the car or bike plug, it stays charged longer than if charged off the computer.
It's easy enough to run a fused power to a waterproof plug outlet so you don't have to worry.
30 minuets or buy a ready made harness, it's about the same money.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejedeye View Post
Not that I've found. One thing I've noticed is if the iphone is charged up using the car or bike plug, it stays charged longer than if charged off the computer.
It's easy enough to run a fused power to a waterproof plug outlet so you don't have to worry.
30 minuets or buy a ready made harness, it's about the same money.
What case/holder are you using?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Otter Box for iPhone4S not a big fan of it the rubber cover has always been lose, but I couldn't have an iPhone with out it, lot's of drops, dust and some water.
Otter Box is to big for standard iPhone cradle bought a Ram finger mount using the long fingers that come with it, I do not use the top stop finger it's in the way of the ear phone jack, haven't had the phone jump up out yet.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
Semongtaulie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Been toying with the idea of replacing my zumo 660 with my iphone running the Garmin app. I'm using the Ram X grip which works well with the otterbox. The only thing stopping me is how to do route planning on the desktop and then sending them to the phone. If anyone could enlighten me on how to do this I'd appreciate it.
The iPhone paired with the Sena sounds great and brings a lot of functionality to the bike.
Semongtaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

If you would go into more detail on your Sena set up and how was it mounting the speakers, I would be very interested to know more. Thanks for the comment on the Ram X Grip have one on the way for my truck.

Run both MotionX GPS and MotionX Drive with voice command, not simultaneously as they are separate stand along apps select which ever is appropriate for what I'm doing. Think I paid $1.99 for one and $0.99...ish... for the other and got a year of voice command for $9.99. What's Garmin app $59.00?

Both MotionX will import contact address from your iphone address book, or type them in or TAP let you operate itunes from the GPS screen, share your location, give you new map up dates with out having to pay an extortion fee to get them.

Right or wrong here is how I do routes or way points ahead of time
Draw route way point in Google Earth or I would guess Google Maps (but I have not used GMaps yet) export in the KML format.

Google Earth > draw your route > Save As > KML (Key Markup Language) > what ever folder / file mane you chose.

I use a free software GPSBabble to convert KML to GPS for the MotionX.

Run GPSBabble > Open named folder > select Google Key Markup > export GPX XLT > name file

Now you can either email it to your phone using MotionX supplied address or if your tethered drag and drop using itunes.

Looking forward to hearing about the Sena set up with iPhone - anyone.

KiloBravo screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 12:00 PM Reason: corrected export
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Semongtaulie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I've got my Sena mounted on an Arai RXQ but I've also had it on a Schuberth S1 and Shark Evoline ST2. I'm currently using the clamp on mount but it causes the unit to stick out from the helmet slightly. I used the glue on mount on the S1 and that worked well also. The speakers sound great but you do need to get them positioned correctly next to your ear. I had to slightly indent the ear foam on the Shark in order for the speakers to sit away from my ears but the other helmets have worked without this mod.
Semongtaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semongtaulie View Post
Been toying with the idea of replacing my zumo 660 with my iphone running the Garmin app. I'm using the Ram X grip which works well with the otterbox. The only thing stopping me is how to do route planning on the desktop and then sending them to the phone. If anyone could enlighten me on how to do this I'd appreciate it.
The iPhone paired with the Sena sounds great and brings a lot of functionality to the bike.
On my iPhone now, sitting on Tarmac at DIA, so I can't access my laptop, or remember the name of the app (maybe someone can chime in) but there's a program that loads to your computer, it puts a button in your browser tool bar.
Make your route on google maps or earth, click the button. It opens a page with the data on it. Cut and paste data into a text editor, make sure it's set to "Plain Text" and "save as xxx". Make sure the saved file has the .gpx suffix. Open iTunes and sync your iPhone. In the "app" window you'll notice a window for "Apps that accept data sync" or something like that. Highlight MotionGPS and drag the data file into the box. It will sync to your phone and appear in the "Maps" menu in MotionX, under "Tracks" and "downloads" or something. The one bad thing, IMO, is that file names you create on the txt file don't transfer to the MotionX app. They'll appear with a date and time stamp. Kind of sucks when you upload 4-5 files at once and have to sort through and rename them.

Been a while since I did this. When I land I'll run through it and make any corrections if needed.

Edit: Application is called "Gmap to GPX" Pretty much remembered it. Window in iTunes is called "File Sharing" Click on Motion X app and drag file into window. (I was wrong, it can be a .txt file. MotionX converts it when it's downloaded) Click apply. Next time you open MotionX it will be under "Menu"-"Tracks"-"Import" with some weird-assed name-number you can't figure out. (Luckily, it's date/time stamped, so you know which one you just did. )

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote