User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
smithjNW OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
KLX250 Engine Replacement

I wanted to document the process of replacing the engine on my newly purchased 2006 KLX250. I picked up the bike knowing it had been starved of oil and suffered a seize of some sort. A top end inspection revealed locked up cams, toasted cam journals, burnt up valves and so on. The local shop suggested I write off the head but the cylinder, piston and likely the entire bottom end still remained in pretty good shape. I found good used heads fairly hard to come by. After a thorough amount of searching I was able to track down a used engine from a 2010. By all accounts this should fit in the 2006 chassis. We a shall see as in should arrive this week! Here's the bike after a week of tearing into it:
Attached Images

smithjNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
in... :)

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Nice!

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,389
I missed chiming in on this point in the other thread. There is a minor difference in the electrical system, IIRC, between the '06/'07 and '09+ bikes. I believe user CousinLarry over at kawasaki forums already tread this water - if you don't find it, I'll look for a link to his thread for you later tonight. He punched a hole in the case of his early model and replaced the entire bottom end with one from a late model bike. I can't remember exactly how he went about it, but I don't think it was a big deal.

Good Luck with the whole process.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,404
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
smithjNW OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I missed chiming in on this point in the other thread. There is a minor difference in the electrical system, IIRC, between the '06/'07 and '09+ bikes. I believe user CousinLarry over at kawasaki forums already tread this water - if you don't find it, I'll look for a link to his thread for you later tonight. He punched a hole in the case of his early model and replaced the entire bottom end with one from a late model bike. I can't remember exactly how he went about it, but I don't think it was a big deal.

Good Luck with the whole process.
Really good to know. That is the first thing I noticed when looking at photos of the newer engine. Definitely a few different connector styles. I'm hoping it's not too big of a process.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
zedro
Lukewarm Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Did the earlier models not have a neutral indicator? I can't think of anything else...2006s had a tps sensor but its not really needed I think.

Edit: the tps thing does have a different cdi connector.
zedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
smithjNW OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedro View Post
Did the earlier models not have a neutral indicator? I can't think of anything else...2006s had a tps sensor but its not really needed I think.

Edit: the tps thing does have a different cdi connector.

Yes, the '06 does have a neutral indicator though it is a different shape in comparison with the '10.

I read through cousinlarry's experience about putting a 09 bottom end on his 07. The issue is the type of connectors used changed on the 09 bikes. Looks like they started coming to a conclusion around page 3:
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...m-35071/page3/

If I'm following properly it looks like I'll take my stator and install it in the 2010 engine. Additionally I will modify the neutral indicator switch in order to accommodate the plug type on the 2006. In theory it all sounds pretty easy!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjNW View Post
In theory it all sounds pretty easy!
A cakewalk!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #10
smithjNW OP
Adventurer

The engine arrived today! I've made more than my fair share of bad purchase decisions on Ebay but so far so good. We'll see how (if) it runs.
IMG_4429
IMG_4430
IMG_4431

I cleaned it up a bit and let my impatience get the best of me. Probably the most reasonable thing to do with out a friend but here it is:

IMG_4435

The aligning the swingarm and the frame for the pivot shaft was a bit of a task by myself. Luckily this ramp did a good job of keeping everything stationary while lining everything up.

IMG_4437

So that's where I'm at so far. Gaskets get here next week so I'll be able to wrap up the stator swap and get it all back together. I'm still not entirely sure how to modify the new style neutral sensor to connect to the old style plug. Hopefully more forum digging will reveal a solution.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
I've had a pretty positive experience reusing side cover gaskets, just don't rip them when taking them off.

Weekends are hard to come by if you're impatient.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
smithjNW OP
Adventurer

Gaskets made it in Saturday! Gave me a two day head start on completing the install. I did a few very long nights and connected everything as well as the stator swap. Ultimately I just decided to go without the neutral sensor. I did find the bike must require being in neutral in order to allow you to run the bike without the clutch engaged if the kickstand is down. I suppose I'll go ahead and disconnect the kickstand sensor next.

While inspecting my old engine I found the cooling hose connecting the head to the left radiator to be in bad shape. Luckily the 2010 engine still had the hose connected. When attempting to connect the hose to the radiator I found it not lining up by a long shot. The conclusion being the '09+ radiator must be a slightly different design than previous models. Sure enough the radiators are different. Here's a comparison of the two hoses, the top is the 2010, bottom is 2006:

IMG_4443

I was able to just cut about .5" off the newer hose and it ended up being a perfect fit.

So by lunch time I was adding fluids and giving it a crank. I was pleasantly surprised to find the bike was ready to fire up and ride. Did a quick once-over and hit the road.

IMG_4445

The bike ran really well. Even managed to find a little gravel!

IMG_4450

One thing I did find was a slight rattle noise in the-mid RPM range. My initial thought was the possibility of needing a valve job though I just remembered talk of the cam chain tensioner issue these bikes are prone to. Has anyone experienced the cam chain tensioner not doing it's job and what it sounded like?
Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

That's almost certainly the cam chain tensioner. Rattling noise most pronounced around 5500-6500 RPM or so? Manual cam chain tensioner is the best solution.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
smithjNW OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
That's almost certainly the cam chain tensioner. Rattling noise most pronounced around 5500-6500 RPM or so? Manual cam chain tensioner is the best solution.
That would be the range. I emailed Krieger today. Hoping to swap that out and get this bike dialed in.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

On the neutral sensor: just swap the entire gear change cover from the older engine, plus the internal piece bolted on with the shift star - these parts are a straight swap. Also gives a good excuse to verify you don't have the "bad" shift star that was prevalent in 2009, and might be present in a '10. If you have the bad star, the fix is the older part.