User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
WR250F Anti-Freeze in gas tank

So got a new project.. to get a 2004 WR250F running. I picked the bike up from the original owner. He claims that it ran about 18 months ago. The gas tank seems to have something like anti-freeze (the color is bluish green and smells strange not like gas) in it.
Also he claims he never put anything but gas in it and he did not put any stabilizer in. Could some sort of race gas cause this? I took the tank off and drained it into a bucket. Then took out the petcock. The petcock was covered with blue crystals and totally corroded. So I ordered another petcock and have cleaned out the tank. I also ordered a carb rebuild kit.

Now for the real question. I figure I am going to pull the carb out and clean it... but what about the engine. I am going to drain the oil to see if any is in the oil, but do I need to worry about the engine valves and such. Will it just burn out? I know it is hard to diagnose without seeing the liquid. Any suggestions of what to look for or do would be greatly appreciated!!
vsnqust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Here is picture of the petcock

So here is a picture of the petcock. Notice the filter screens deteriorated and the pipe is eaten away. The output to the carburetor does not seem to have the reside in it though. I hope that is good sign for what to is come working on this bike!
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Ethanol in fuel is a bad thing. The gas smells nothing like gas when it goes bad. I bet it sat for longer than 18 months.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 256
What To Do

The blue crystals are copper sulfate.
Check the float bowls - they may be corroded too.
Engines can withstand a tremendous amount of abuse.
Pour some kero through it just to be certain it's OK.
Then fill with oil and give it a go.
Use the kill switch to circulate the oil the first time you try and fire it.
5-10 seconds should be enough.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
See if that old petcock still shuts off. If it does, and if it was shut off those months while the bike sat, I wouldn't worry at all about anything downstream. If it was shut off you probably won't even need to clean the carburetor. Put in new oil and run it.

If it was left on or if it doesn't seal you may have problems.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks! I have cleaned out the gas tank, ordered a new petcock, fuel line between the petcock and carb, and a carb rebuild kit. I am hopeful after the responses I got from here and thumpertalk that it might not be that bad! Also the petcock was turned off when I picked it up so hopefully nothing got to the carb.. but only pulling the carb will tell!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
See if that old petcock still shuts off. If it does, and if it was shut off those months while the bike sat, I wouldn't worry at all about anything downstream. If it was shut off you probably won't even need to clean the carburetor. Put in new oil and run it.

If it was left on or if it doesn't seal you may have problems.

Thanks! it was sealed shut even when I tried to open it after taking the gas tank off and was trying to drain the tank. I ended up removing the petcock to drain the tank and that was when I discovered the top of the petcock being corroded.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
tirebiter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
By the corrosion present in the petcock, I'd check the fuel inlet tube and the O rings that go with it. They sit in old fuel and can corrode- big time..
Pt numbers 83 & 85..
http://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/ca...iew_parts.html
tirebiter is offline   Reply With Quote