garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I came up with a solution...

I made the mosaic extra large for Derek's ego
LOL....

Thats WHY Paul was riding so fast! Damn thats funny stuff.

Hey Paul if you have that much riding without snow I'm not sure I'd bother studding up your tires. Here, there's about 6 inches to a foot on most of the trails. The REAL fun is riding on the creeks and through the bogs where you can't go in the summer. Winter riding is a blast but I'm REALLY giving the HDB handguards a workout. I think I fell 8 times today. I also whacked my arm on a tree, but you can really haul up some cool climbs that you might not be able to in the summer. It's fun but riding on pavement eats the studs. Might be a cool spark show at night though...

Garrett
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #332
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
LOL....

Thats WHY Paul was riding so fast! Damn thats funny stuff.

Hey Paul if you have that much riding without snow I'm not sure I'd bother studding up your tires. Here, there's about 6 inches to a foot on most of the trails. The REAL fun is riding on the creeks and through the bogs where you can't go in the summer. Winter riding is a blast but I'm REALLY giving the HDB handguards a workout. I think I fell 8 times today. I also whacked my arm on a tree, but you can really haul up some cool climbs that you might not be able to in the summer. It's fun but riding on pavement eats the studs. Might be a cool spark show at night though...

Garrett
Don't stud your tires, followed by.... I'm crashing a lot
Thats why the car studs are perfect, just last month I was riding down the paved road going 50-60 mph with no problem.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #333
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Those are already on the site.
my mistake... I meant this one...

Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #334
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,494
This is the way I have been wiring the LEDs. I guess I have a bad ground because it looks like a our schematics are the same.

Took the 500 out to our local lease today. 70 mph on dirt roads there, then 20 miles of tight single track, then back on dirt roads.

The full 6.3g tank made the single track a little tricky, but otherwise, a very capable bike on the trail.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 AM   #335
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Don't stud your tires, followed by.... I'm crashing a lot
Thats why the car studs are perfect, just last month I was riding down the paved road going 50-60 mph with no problem.
Yeah I should have qualified that...I crashed on the trails in the deeper snow.

I've got Gripstuds on my bike and they work well and easy to install. I'm happy with them. The buddy I was riding with is one of "those" riders that makes everything look easy. He stands all the time, I'm paddling up a slippery deep section section and he's standing with the gas on, rear wheel sliding back and forth hauling ass.

The Gripstuds are taller so are slick on the pavement. I had to do a short section the other day and it's not comfortable but ok if you're not on the gas.

Garrett
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #336
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
my mistake... I meant this one...

Ben, those are a bit less universal, so I'm not really offering that on the site, more of a case by case thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
This is the way I have been wiring the LEDs. I guess I have a bad ground because it looks like a our schematics are the same.

Travis, that is how I do it and have yet to have one fail on me electrically, I don't frame ground anything anymore, but even a bad ground shouldn't fry them, just turn them on and off. I silicone them after all the wiring is done to try and keep the leads from fatiguing from vibration.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #337
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Great thread!!

Owning an EXC in Europe, which is a hybrid between EXC and XCW in the States, I'm also subscribing to this post
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #338
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Took the plunge

Excited new owner going to convert to street legal for a Moab trip in May, so I'll be rereading this thread and come back with any questions. Can't believe how light this thing feels - feels lighter than my 250X - unbelieveable.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #339
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Hope I havn't killed this thread - seems I have been the final post on quite a few. I have a few questions after going thru this thread.

Geek - I am wanting to do the same as you to get this bike minimumly street legal and not add a bunch of weight - don't think I will add turn signals, but will need horn, mirror, brake and license plate light etc.

Questions:

Would like to use stock tail light and understand that it has built in brake light? What do you use for a license plate holder?

Looking at the front master cylinder looks like I can mount a micro switch for a brake light switch - I am assuming that is what KTM uses, should I order up a stock KTM part and is the stocker waterproof or is it just a standard old micro switch that I can pick up locally? I see hydraulic switches are available but I have had failures over the years and think I would prefer mechanical.

I want to install a key switch and would like some feedback if anyone uses the HDB setup - guess I am also kicking around the EXC stocker. Also where can I find a schematic for this bike - don't see one in the service manual.

How do you like the Eline skid plate - think that is what I have on my CRF and I have liked it.

Finally you have a picture of a Waterproof fuse holder - where to get those - searched Ebay and only found rubber boot units.

Thanks in advance.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #340
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I installed a Sicass light kit on my '13 XC-W 500 and it works great! Yes the taillight is also a brake light (and led at that) The kit came with turn sigs and a pressure switch for the rear brake truly a plug and play setup. it also came with the handlebar switch which has the horn, hi, lo and off headlight switch and turn sig in a compact switch.Only drawback was that the running and taillight are on with engine running, so I left the OEM switch and wired it in to the system so I can turn all lights off when on the trail thereby saving battery draw. You will like the setup>>>>
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219

woodzrider screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 04:57 AM
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #341
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Geek, what grip heaters did you install?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #342
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,667
Just some cheap Tusk ones - throttle side isn't working
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #343
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Rode the 500 in the Elephant Ride yesterday

Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #344
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Winter riding is tons of fun! I can't tell if you've got studs on there or not, amazing traction is available with them. Sadly no winter riding for me this year, my 300 is all cleaned up for sale this spring, and I just can't make myself drag a shiny new 350 out into the woods in the winter. Instead I'll spend the rest of the cold season thinking of ways to perfect it. I just ordered my HDB bits after a good read through this thread. The Internet cam be an expensive place!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #345
Geek OP
oot & aboot

nope.. no studs. Lots of slip-sliding

The extra wind protection of the HDB fairing was well appreciated when we got going fast as it was waaaaaay below freezing.

cheers,
Edward