User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
noplacelikehome OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Spidi ergo 365 exp. vs klim badlands

I know, I know that these are not cheap suits but can anyone contribute to this comparison?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
jkfrazier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Funny, I'm trying to decided between the same two suits. From what I gather, the Ergo offers better protection with En-13595 certification and includes two liners for different weather including rain and cold. Revzilla tells me the Klim vents much better for riding in warmer temps, which is a concern for me. At this point, I suppose I am leaning towards the Klim mainly because of the venting and it appears to offer fairly good protection. I can add base and mid layers to keep warm when riding in colder temps. The Klim also offers a waterproof exterior shell which is a bit more convenient when getting caught in the rain.
jkfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 493
I haven't been able to test my Spidi 365 Pro Expidition suit much as I only rode a bike whilst taking my MSF course. Hoping the Explorer is here soon so I can get some miles on the bike and the suit.

My first impressions are posted in this forum.

I wore the jacket for a couple of hours in the heavy rain we had this weekend (but only walking around in it) without the liner and it did not leak and did not absorb any water. A better test will of course be in heavy rain on the bike.

The Spidi meets high standards of protection, I would be surprised if the Klim could not meet them too. The one thing I preferred about the Spidi over the Klim was the feel of the material. The Klim felt like it would take a layer of paint off the wall if I leaned against it; very rough.

Both I think are very good jackets/suits with the only choice really being do you want a liner system or not. I would expect the Spidi to vent better than the Klim if you don't have the liner in the Spidi. The day I took my test it was mid 70's and we were stood around a lot of the time all geared up and I did not feel hot at all.

If you are patient I should have a good report in a month

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
jkfrazier
Adventurer

Good report. I think I'm going to head to Revzilla to check out both in person. It is interesting that your perception is that the Spidi will vent better than the Klim. Ultimately, that is the deciding factor for me; which vents better.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,003
Not trying to start WWlll but is the spidi also made in China?

Edit, found out the Spidi suit is made in Romania.

swimmer screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 11:31 AM
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Digitdion
KTM Lover

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Not trying to start WWlll but is the spidi also made in China?
Isn't almost everything made in China, these days? Whats the big deal? Do you want cheaper gear or not? I think this gear is already expensive enough!
Digitdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
Isn't almost everything made in China, these days? Whats the big deal? Do you want cheaper gear or not? I think this gear is already expensive enough!
No, everything is not made in China and if you don’t know what the big deal is I guess you aren’t paying attention. Personally I object to many of China's business practices and it's affect people i know in therms of them loosing their jobs. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the jackets being sold on the market for $500 cost less than $50 to make in China. Is that a case of needing to keep cost down or manufacture greed at the expense of the well being of your neighbors job? Do manufactures who ship their operations to China reduce retail prices or just keep the prices as they are and increase their profits? It’s their right to do as they please and my right to look elsewhere for products and in the case of Klim specifically I’ve chosen other gear because of where theirs is made.

Anyway I was just asking. It’ s useful info for some people.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
jkfrazier
Adventurer

Can we keep this on topic, please?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfrazier View Post
Good report. I think I'm going to head to Revzilla to check out both in person. It is interesting that your perception is that the Spidi will vent better than the Klim. Ultimately, that is the deciding factor for me; which vents better.

Thanks,
Joel
Revzilla people are great (especially Kat ) and you should get a feel for the fit of both jackets which is also important of course.

Just in case you didn't know the Spidi jacket on its own is currently only available in Black; the suit is in a much lighter colour. That lighter colour may have some impact on the material staying cooler.

Triumph Explorer
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
nanisx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
I haven't been able to test my Spidi 365 Pro Expidition suit much as I only rode a bike whilst taking my MSF course. Hoping the Explorer is here soon so I can get some miles on the bike and the suit.

My first impressions are posted in this forum.

I wore the jacket for a couple of hours in the heavy rain we had this weekend (but only walking around in it) without the liner and it did not leak and did not absorb any water. A better test will of course be in heavy rain on the bike.

The Spidi meets high standards of protection, I would be surprised if the Klim could not meet them too. The one thing I preferred about the Spidi over the Klim was the feel of the material. The Klim felt like it would take a layer of paint off the wall if I leaned against it; very rough.

Both I think are very good jackets/suits with the only choice really being do you want a liner system or not. I would expect the Spidi to vent better than the Klim if you don't have the liner in the Spidi. The day I took my test it was mid 70's and we were stood around a lot of the time all geared up and I did not feel hot at all.

If you are patient I should have a good report in a month

did you buy the suit directly form Spidi? i know revzilla doesnt carry it
nanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanisx View Post
did you buy the suit directly form Spidi? i know revzilla doesnt carry it
Yes I got it directly from Spidi in Italy.

BTW: the label says Made in Romania for those who care about such things.

Triumph Explorer
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
nanisx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Yes I got it directly from Spidi in Italy.

BTW: the label says Made in Romania for those who care about such things.
thanks I ordered one... my brother has the klim badlands so it will be a nice comparison
nanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
caps02
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I'm with Swimmer on this one--I avoid Chinese-made products as much as possible also (which is getting increasingly difficult to do, but not entirely impossible). I'm interested in the Marathon H2OUT suit--does anyone know if that is made in Romania as well? I'm also interested in Rev'It Defender GTX (Indonesia) and Macna gear (I don't know where their gear is made). I've since ruled out Klim--as great as it is I'm sure.
caps02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't know about the Marathon suit. I do know that the Xpd XP-7 WRS boots I have are Romanian, whereas the Hurricane pants and STR-1 gloves are Chinese.

So, if I were going to force myself to speculate, I'd speculate that the more entry-level stuff is mainly Chinese, and the high-priced stuff is Romanian.
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
caps02
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks MZ5--I'm gonna have to call Revzilla to confirm one way or another. I could end up with a Darien suit.
caps02 is offline   Reply With Quote