User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2002, 04:02 PM   #1
Haynes OP
Ozzie Cafe Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Looking for a 12 volt connection

I have a 12 volt communication kit that I want to hard wire without too much work.
Is there a connector somewhere on the bike that is not used and is active only in the "ignition on" position?
If there is no connection, where is the easiest place to take some power in the tail section. I suspect that the tail-light wire is the easiest but does anyone have a better or simpler suggestion.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:22 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 31,933
If you have a radio kit but no radio, there should be switched power available in the oddments box. If you don't have a radio kit, there is a large 5 or 6-position connector under the left side of the gas tank that is used for radio power that will provide switched power. That 5 or 6-position connector is a BMW car part, so you should be able to make a custom harness using the blank connector body and a couple of crimp pins to run your stuff, which would be an easily reversible mod if you sold the bike later.

If that's too tough, just use a relay to power the thing and use the parking light to notify the relay when to turn on and off. I would use the parking light instead of the brake light.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 06:53 AM   #3
palouis
His Assholiness

Oddometer: 97
Hey Haynes,
What ya want to connect (beer cooler?) - could you just run an extension from the "little german cigarette lighters" under the seat?

I'm gonna do that - bought some plug and I'll splice them onto extension leads that terminate with a female cig lighter plug.

Why did they remove the socket on the dash? Like I want to position my GPS, Walkman etc under my left arse cheek ....

Germans ....

Tchuss.

Paul
__________________________________________________ ______________
Be Like the Twenty-Second Elephant with Heated Value in Space - Bark!
palouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:20 PM   #4
Moot
Precipitate-Cognitive-Max

Oddometer: 617
Haynes... Remove your seat & fuse box lid. If you are standing on the exhaust side of your bike, the fuse you want is the one closest to you. The active side of the fuse is the wire at the back of the fuse (ie closest to the rear of the bike)

Check that you have the right fuse & wire with a multimeter before you begin to attach any wire to it. You (pull the fuse) should end up with 12V on your meter with the ign on.

Remove the "fuse", ign OFF, carefully and I mean CAREFULLY, remove some of the insulation with a sharp stanley knife and solder your acc. to this wire. If you wiggle the wire you should see the rear fuse saddle wobble. you wont be able to get much of your hand in there but the wire is accessible

Make sure your new component wire is fused (has an inline fuse) at the box BEFORE it leaves the fusebox outercasing.

You can drill a small hole using a cone drill at the rear of the fuse box (middle) and install a grommet for the exit of the wire.

The source will handle up to 10 amp no probs.

BMW (B)ecause (M)ary's (W)onderful.

* Blue (the only colour) R1150RT.
* Aussie fish fan club.
* Professional Rock & Roll enthuisiast.

"okay, I'm a smartass, point me to the post where you always manage to got the better of me" -- fish
Moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
pdxstriper
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
If you have a radio kit but no radio, there should be switched power available in the oddments box. If you don't have a radio kit, there is a large 5 or 6-position connector under the left side of the gas tank that is used for radio power that will provide switched power. That 5 or 6-position connector is a BMW car part, so you should be able to make a custom harness using the blank connector body and a couple of crimp pins to run your stuff, which would be an easily reversible mod if you sold the bike later.

If that's too tough, just use a relay to power the thing and use the parking light to notify the relay when to turn on and off. I would use the parking light instead of the brake light.

Jon
Hi,
This sounds like a very clean installation. In a past bike I wired in a dedicated switched fuse box with a relay for all my accessories. I took 12V from the battery (with inline fuse) and wired the relay to some unused switched connector.

Do you believe that I could wire in this configuration to the unused radio connector as you describe?
Thanks,
Pete
pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote