User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Gypsyangel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Have Ninja, Will Travel: The 650r Sport-tourer *New Farkle Update*

So what do ya do when it's raining and cold outside? Pull your bike inside and Farkle the heck outta it.
I just completed pretty much most of the touring mods on my 650R for the touring season and let me tell ya, it's come a long way from the little salvage bike it once was. Yes, this bike was salvaged, now rebuilt, retitled and ready to tour.
Most of the mods I added due to things I learned or wanted last touring season while on my FZ1 and some I figured out on my weekend 300+ mile trips on this bike.So here's the rundown.

The bike: 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650r. Approx 3,000+ miles on the odometer.649cc, Liquid Cooled, Parallel Twin, DOHC, 4-Stroke Engine and a 6-Speed Manual Transmission. Seat height 31.1 and dry weight of 393 lbs. Gas tank is a meagerly 4.1 Gallons (youíll only be able to use about 3.9 of that) and get an average gas mileage of 45-55 mpg. Which means the fuel light comes on around 154-164 miles and you probably could go another 20-30 miles before running outta gas, but I havenít tested this theory. IĎve heard of people getting 200+ miles to a tank, but Iím not that brave.

First, Drop Those Forks!! This actually came fro the service manual. The stealerships set em up so the front forks are pretty much flush with the triple tree. Kawasaki recommends they be dropped 10mm or 1/2". What a difference in cornering this made. This bike feels like it could do a 180 on it's rear tire.

Sorry, thatís my one and only suspension mod. I only weigh 115lbs, so I just set my rear shock at the middle setting. Most would argue that it may need to be stiffer or softer to compensate for the luggage weight. Honestly, Iíve tried all the settings and donít notice a bit of difference. This bike barely notices my weight, the luggage only adds about 20 more lbs at the most. So middle it is.

more...

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

Gypsyangel screwed with this post 06-19-2009 at 04:09 PM
Gypsyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Gypsyangel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So starting at the front. I added a Laminar Lip. This attaches directly to the stock windscreen by way of these really stiff Velcro pads. And trust me, once itís on, it isnít coming off. Iím 5í4Ē and it definitely stops the buffeting caused by the odd angle of the stock screen and seems to send the wind perfectly towards the top of my helmet, just catching it above the face shield so I can still get some air in my helmet vents. I can even duck down a bit and cut out pretty much all wind.

In hind-sight I shoulda bought a Givi windscreen. This one does tend to flex your stock screen when you get a strong gust and it vibrates, more like bounces, up and down a bit. Not too much, only about ĹĒ or so, but enough to where, when I first mounted it, I was sure a strong gust would cause it to snap my windscreen or pop it apart where it tucks under my fairings. Looking at the design, itís a lot of extra weight too far away from the original windscreenís mounting points, with no extra support in between. But it was a good deal and a good place to start when looking for that perfect aftermarket windscreen. All in all itís served itís purpose so far.

The mounting tabs.

Side view.

More..

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Gypsyangel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A little further back we have the cockpit. This is where most of the mods lie and some may think Iím a bit overboard, but trust me everything has been tour tested and has a purpose.

First I ditched the stock 650r handlebars because I didnít like their ergonomics. I replaced em with a pair of stock FZ1 handlebars off a first Gen. FZ1. I just really like the feel of these bars. Plus theyíre black so they match the bike better than the silver stock ones. The shape also gives you a better push on the handlebars for easier cornering. Really, any 7/8Ē bars would work, just watch to make sure you still have clearance at your gas tank. However, I may eventually give the stock bars another chance as Iím constantly searching for the best position.

Attached to these I have a set of Gen Mar Universal Bar Risers that bring the bars up 1Ē and back as well. This allows me to sit more upright for long highway stints, but I can still lean forward if Iím feeling more aggressive. These actually cause the bars to hit my tank, unlike the just 1Ē up risers. Which means if I drop my bike, thereís a good chance Iíll dent the tank. But again, itís salvaged, no huge deal. Itís all really about taking a stock bike and using aftermarket bits to make it fit as wide of range of riders as possible.

Now starting from the left I have a set of Oxford heated grip wraps. These are wired directly to my battery terminal and is turned on and off by the switch mounted in the center of my handlebars. These have been great as I have been doing more year round riding. I also hate those thick winter gloves, cause you canít feel as much and they work your hands more. With these, Iíd throw a set of Hippo Hands over my controls, turn on my heated grips and be able to wear my summer gloves comfortably underneath.

A few downsides to work past. First, Hippo Hands arenít good for the highway as they tend to collapse onto your levers at higher speeds. Secondly, always remember to turn off the heated grips, as they are attached to the battery, theyíll kill it if left on. And finally, attach a temp control to your heated grips. These heat up really fast and get REALLY hot, so Iím constantly turning em on and off while riding.

Next I have my Ram Mount, used mainly to hold a GPS. This item is great in that not only can you practically mount it anywhere, but you can also practically mount anything to it. Itís easy to install and pops of with a couple of turns of the dial. But donít worry, once on, it doesnít shift while riding.

The GPS has long replaced the paper maps, though I still use em to plan routes and still carry a few along, just in case. This particular Garmin model also has a few extra great features. XM satellite radio, great for trips as you can listen to the same station even crossing state lines and it has an optional weather radar feature so you can see ahead of time if you need to put on your rain gear. Itís waterproof, so no little zip lock baggies needed and the XM antennae mounts right onto my front brake fluid reservoir via a hefty Velcro pad. This is the Garmin 376C which also has built in battery back up. I also like the Garmin Streetpilot 2730 as it has a built in MP3 player along with XM and has a built in FM Modulator, so you can listen without wires to it through your Scala Rider headset.

I took this shot sitting on the bike so you could see that you still have an unobstructed view of your instrument panel.

In the center we have my heated grip on/off switch and my weather resistant 12v socket Powerlet. This was easy to ad as it grips onto your handlebars and super handy for plugging in that GPS.Can also be used to charge cell phones, ipods or anything else that has a 12v socket type plug. I have it wired so the other end will plug into my battery tender plug, which stays connected to my battery. This way I can plug it in or unplug it when not needed. As a note, I had to reverse the wiring (positive/negative) on the socket plug to be able to plug into the battery tender junction properly. Always check before splicing that you have volts flowing in the proper direction. Iím sure you can find these pre-wired online, but whereís the fun in that? Also this is the standard size socket and not the ďspecialĒ BMW sized one. I have considered drilling the left inner fairing and mounting it there, but thought Iíd see how I like it here first.

Onto the right side. Here we have my Vista Cruise Throttle Lock. Consider this aftermarket cruise control for motorcycles. While itís not exact, you will slow down going uphill and speed up going down hill, itís definitely useful. We all can rest our left hand from time to time, but with this, you can set it and actually give your right hand a rest for a change. Super useful when having to put away those boring highway miles. Iíve even seen one guy who tied a strap to both his handlebars and could sit back and steer using his ďreinsĒ. Definitely NOT recommended. But interestingly funny.

All the way to the end of the throttle is my Throttle Rocker., similar to the Cramp Buster This is now a must have for all my bikes. I took a bit to get it adjusted just right, but once in place, you use the palm of you hand to work your throttle. This pretty much eliminates hand cramps and fatigue caused by gripping the throttle mile after mile. It just wraps around your stock grip, this particular model tightens via Velcro, and you can still reach the brake lever no problem My Fiancťí even puts one on his left grip so he can rest both hands.

And the wiring for all my goodies is on the right side. The highest one is the plug to my 12v outlet. The one below it is the Battery tender plug (so they can easily plug together) and the little one goes to my heated vest.

More..

--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Gypsyangel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next, weíll move onto luggage. On top I have my SBW Scout Mini Tank bag. Yes, it comes in other colors. This is a perfect sized little tank bag as itíll carry all you essentials and you can whip it off via the handy handle on the front and carry it around with ease. Two zippers make it easy to get into so I usually have my camera in there, so I can whip it out and take pics while riding down the road. It has a small map window which as it turns out, is a perfect spot for the Ipod as you can work the controls through the plastic and if it rains, your Ipod will stay dry. Ironically, the entire inside usually stays pretty dry as well thanks to a vinyl type lining, but anything in he side pockets will get wet. It has a mesh inner pocket on the lid and expands to almost double itís size. Ladies , it can double as a purse when not riding and when at home, it can hang on the fridge. Mineís a little faded after 4yrs of use, but has otherwise held up well.

My favorite feature, expands enough to hold a large McDonalds Sweet Tea. Taking sips of said sweet tea at red lights however, takes patience and practice.

Then is my Koplin Tank Panniers. I got these after reading about a tourer who raved how they deflect the wind and rain off your upper legs. What a great idea and it works. So even though I donít need to haul that much stuff, I usually still have these attached.

The Koplinís are actually atv panniers which cost a fraction of motorcycle specific panniers. These have adjustable top straps which just lay over your tank and can be taken up to fit on dirt bikes or widened for sport bikes. They also have two built in bungees w/hooks on each side which secure em to your fairing or frame or wherever else you find to attach em. Theyíre amazingly stable even at higher speeds and donít slide backwards or flap while riding down the road. Under the front flap on each is the main zippered compartment which holds a liter of oil with room to spare. It also has a side pocket which may be a good place to tuck glasses or flashlights. All in all, a good place to store tools so you donít have to dig through all your gear in the other bags, just to reach your tool pouch.

The bottom is rubberized so it doesnít rub your fairing and it weather resistant, but probably not waterproof. I have noticed they get a bit warm being right by the engine, but not hot and donít seem to block any of the
venting on my bike. I could always adjust em higher up if this seems like it would be an issue. Also not an issue is knee room. I thought Iíd be rubbing against the bags, but it turns out I have room to spare. I probably wonít run these much in the summertime though as the wind blockage is great in cooler temps, but during the heat of summer, you usually want all the breeze you can get.

--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Gypsyangel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next is the saddlebags. I thought long and hard about getting all hard luggage. But it is pricey and I’ll probably eventually get a more touring oriented bike. Also I’ve dropped this bike twice since getting it (both of course weren’t my fault…did you know a battery tender plug has enough tension to stop a bike in it’s tracks and pull it over??) so the thought of replacing $300+ in luggage racks does not appeal to me. And of course you can’t buy just one side.

So soft saddlebags it is. We actually have two sets. The currently on my bike are the Givi T411 Voyager Bag Saddlebags. Have two extra long Velcro straps and one middle adjustable strap so you have many different mounting options. They also feature several loops for attaching bungee cords. They are expandable and should hold plenty of gear just fine, although seem to sag a bit outward when extended. The have a dual zipper opening that’s set to the inside so getting your gear out on the fly could also be a bit troublesome. They do have a nice firm plastic lining which helps them keep their shape and a built on heat panel to protect them from exhaust pipes. Both also help keep them sitting flush with the bike and not bowing in towards the wheel. I like that the words on the side and the triangle swatch on the back is super reflective. It’s good to be seen.

Reflective shot.

Inside.

With Jacket inside.

Expanded.

I put one Velcro strap behind my luggage rack across the tail, the center strap across the bar in the middle and the front Velcro strap just in front of the passenger portion of my seat. Right where it dips down. I also ran 1 bungee underneath the bike and hooked the front of both bags, more as an afterthought precaution as these bags aren’t really going anywhere. They do rest against my turn signals, but don’t seem to move em or obstruct em at all. You may wonder why I don’t run the straps under my seat….well, for one it makes it easier to take em off to haul into the hotel room at night and I’ve also seen where the straps interfere with the seat latch and the person couldn’t get the seat unlatched to get the bags off.

Across the seat with the straps.

The front bungee.

Under the tail with the bungee.

Handy Grab handles for carrying.

I also have a set of blue Joe Rocket Velocity Saddlebags that I used for touring last year. These have two Velcro straps for mounting and again several loops for attaching bungees. I prefer the opening on these as it’s parallel zippered and unbuckles to where the whole top opens, making access easy. They also feature a built in bungee net for securing extra stuff on top of the bags. They came with rain covers, but they ripped the first time I used em. So just store all your belongings in thick Garment storage bags, or garbage or grocery bags) and you’ll be fine. These also expand and don’t seem to sag as bad when extended and although smaller than the Givi’s, carried 2 sets of gear + clothes just fine.

Joe Rocket bags on the bike…backwards. Oops

The reflector bits got in the back

One open, one closed.

Front buckle.

Top Extra Bungee

Tail Shot.

--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Gypsyangel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next is my one bit of hard luggage. The rack is by SW-Motech and the rack and Givi mounting plate cost just over $200...ouch.

The top case is a Givi E35 Monoky Traffic case. Itís super handy and even on daily commuting, I canít live without it. Itís waterproof and comes on and off easily. Throw your laptop in there or lock up your helmet inside it to run into the store. I thought this would effect the handling of my bike once mounted, but you donít even know itís back there. Plus it sits back far enough that you can still swing your leg over to mount the bike, instead of having to step over/through like with some bags. You really get used to having this storage around and once ya get one, will want it on all your bikes. Thatís the plus to Givi bags, as long as you buy the monokey plates and the appropriate racks, these can be swapped with ease from bike to bike. Iíve even seen where people mount the plated directly to their stock motorcycle seats by drilling the bolts through em. Whatever works. But this is one of my favorite mods just because of itís everyday usefulness. And yes, itís solid. No rattling around or vibrating. The rack is mounted directly to the frame where the stock grab rails where and you can even lift the bike by it if needed, but not recommended. It also give you more to grab onto when youíre a passenger or when maneuvering the bike around the garage. The Bags can even come with built in backrests and can be wired for a second brake light.

Back shot with helmet inside.

Side shot w/helmet

Finally the seat. I sent it off to Spencerís seat mods about a month after getting the bike. He was able to lower it a bit and added the Long Distance honeycomb gel stuff. Super fast turn around and the set looks like stock when ya get it back. Not sure if itís made that big of difference, only time will tell. One thing I did learn was that stock seats suck.

I also added the sheepskin to it as it definitely helps cushion the booty on long trips. Itís basically just a swatch of sheepskin with an elastic band sewed into it which loops under my seat to hold it in place It definitely helps keep your butt and thighs warm in the winter and Iíve heard the wool will actually help airflow to keep ya cool in the summer. Weíll see when summer gets here. I do have to take it off though if it rains.

Thatís pretty much it. Future mods may be an automatic chain luber as this bike doesnĎt have the option of a center stand, but Iíve seen em breaking more than working, so more research to be done there. Lower foot pegs maybe. Frame slidersÖmaybe. Theyíre all like $100-300 right now and Iíve seen how they donít hold up in a crash. Iíd use em more for highway pegs than protection. Heck, I can buy a new fairing for $200. Possibly auxiliary lighting (thatís what the switch on the right side inner panel is for), but the stock headlight is actually quite impressive. Not as good as the Vstrom, but plenty good at night.
Oh and the tires are just the stock Bridgestone B020 Battleaxeís. Supposedly crud tires, but seem plenty sticky to me.LOL Maybe they have to sit for 6 months before they break in as these did. Iíll be lucky to get 6,000 miles outta them though. Iíll probably put on a pair of Conti Force or Pirelli Stradaís before too long.

So anyway, all ready to start the 2009 touring season with my little 650.And donít worry, when I do get a bigger touring bike, this little trouper will always be around in the garage, just cause itís such a good bike and perfect for commutes and weekend trips and even the occasional track day.

Farkle Shopping list:

Laminar Lip:
http://www.laminarlip.com/650r.php

Gen Mar Bar Risers
http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Oxford Heated Grip Wraps review.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/
Can usually be found on Ebay.

Hippo Hands
http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm

Ram Mounts
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/products...rod=RAM-GPS176

Scala Rider
http://www.she-rides.com/Hacc.html

Emgo 12v Powerlet (listed as handlebar mount cigarette lighter)
https://www.phatperformanceparts.com...tCode=86-44410
This is a Parts Unlimited item Emgo# 86-44410 so your local shop should be able to order it for ya.

Vista cruise
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...e=Vista-Cruise

Throttle Rocker
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...FRSfnAodAE8c6A
Similar item:
Cramp Buster
http://www.she-rides.com/CrampBuster-p-8040.html

SBW Scout Mini Tank Bag
http://www.she-rides.com/Scout+Mini+...ag-p-7003.html

Koplin Panniers
http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro.../tank-bag.html

Givi T411 Voyager Saddlebags
http://www.motostrano.com/git4vosaba.html

Joe Rocket Velocity Saddlebags
http://www.streetbikerider.com/h-acc...s-velocity.htm

SW-Motech rear rack w/Givi adapter plate
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3056/523/

Givi E35 Monokey Topcase
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/36

Spencerís Seat Mods
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

This was along list and I was getting tired, if I left anything out, let me know.

--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Old 03-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Just an FYI, by lowering the forks, you lose stability at higher speeds. You may get some head-shake at higher speeds. Just be aware that lowering the forks is the cause.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
Gypsyangel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Higher than 90 mph??Nope, haven't experienced this.But I'll keep an eye out for it. And this mod is the suggested stock set up in the kawasaki 650r service manual.The dealerships actually set them up incorrectly...not to spec.
Wouldn't a head shake suggest an unbalanced wheel?

--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Old 03-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
Looking good babe!

Now if I could just get some time in the kitchen!
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-rex1100
Just an FYI, by lowering the forks, you lose stability at higher speeds. You may get some head-shake at higher speeds. Just be aware that lowering the forks is the cause.
Believe it or not, the service manual suggests this drop in the forks. I've ridden it, and its not unstable at all and no hint of head shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangel
Wouldn't a head shake suggest an unbalanced wheel?
Not necessarily. If you drop the forks enough (too much) you loose the trail (I think) and basically your bike can become unstable at higher speeds and you could have what is the start of a tank slapper.

I think your 650 is fine though. Normally this would be more prevalent on a SS600 which is already very aggressive and you tried to drop the forks farther.
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Believe it or not, the service manual suggests this drop in the forks. I've ridden it, and its not unstable at all and no hint of head shake.
I just wanted him to know that in case he noticed that and thought it was maybe the head bearings gone bad or something similar.
Decreasing rake, aka dropping the forks, will cause a loss of higher-speed stability.
Kawasaki probably suggested it because there is no head shaking until very high speeds, and decreasing rake makes the bike more responsive.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,415
Nice work! I have put over 22k kms on my '06 in our limited riding seasons up here, they really are capable tourers.

A few comments for the readers -

-- At 5'10", I love the stock screen. I get a little wind on my shoulders and my helmet is in clean air.

-- R&G make frame sliders that fit in the little vent in the fairing on the '06-'08 models. I installed them, but haven't needed them yet.

--The stock seat does suck. I bought the +1" Kawasaki seat, and while it isn't perfect, it is a huge improvement over stock and gives me a bit better legroom.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
R11STEW
ADVrider Wanna-be

Oddometer: 186
Laugh GypsyAngel Rocks!

Great job! My wife has a 650R and your posts will help me get her set up for some sport touring duty. Now I won't have to carry some of her stuff.

Happy trails!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,213
Nice job

I had an 06 that I got new, and always thought it would make a great sport tourer. Due to ahem, the intentiveness of an SUV driver, it was totaled a year ago. I could have bought it back with a salvage title, don't know what it would have cost me, but at the time, I really didn't know if I would ride again. But, I am back on two wheels again, but no more Ninja 650.

Great fueling, but I never got the gas mileage others did (42 to 46), usually at the lower end of the spectrum.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
catzass
Triple Pilot

Oddometer: 386
thanks for the great thread. I have a Triumph Daytona, not exactly a sport touring bike but know what I'm gonna do. Tour as much and as often as possible. I got some good ideas from your build and may use a few of them. Good luck in your travels and keep us posted.
catzass is offline   Reply With Quote