Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
dealers

Hi,

In Sweden, the dealers are really crappy. Specially the ones who are selling japanese bikes. The want us to buy their stuff but the seldom have a demobike so we can testride it. They tricked me once to buy a brand new bike without testriding it but I won't do the same misstake twice.

The only brands that are good at it, is BMW and Harley.

How is it in your country?

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
i was reading a post today where someone wrote "i will get it at the stealer" and wondered why many have this attitude concerning a business providing a service? It seems sometimes even before a dealer is known, for some its gotta be a Stealership. Just no question about it.

Then I thought maybe its just a term of affection

So far as the dealerships themselves? I can only speak for the ones I have been to. And concerning those I've had good experiences at all. I mean they sell motorcycles, I don't expect a red carpet roll out.

Buying experience I cannot say? I suppose its cut and dry once a price is given / negotiated. Take it or leave it, its a bike.

But from my "shopping around" experience and one very involved repair job on an engine, i'd say i liked all the dealers i went to

Yes, even Bert's Mega Mall. And thats saying something to some
Old 05-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oh and by "good" I mean helpful employees, good selection, no sales pressure. Even as a total newb I had good people helping out. At all my stops

Maybe i am just a likable guy

ha

Wow, i actually like motorcycle dealerships. Imagine that. They have motorcycles
Old 05-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
It depends on the brand and locale. BMW have always been enthusiastic about offering a test ride, and I have never bought a BMW without one. The Italian marques are a mixed bag, but generally it depends on the relationship between the customer and the dealer. My dealer in Villa Park IL gave me a test ride on the KTM I bought, but required an unspecified hold on my credit card during the ride. It worked out fine and they have always been above board.

I have only had one test ride on a new Japanese bike, and it was with a Honda dealership I had a long relationship with in south central Indiana USA. The bike was a leftover, so they were motivated. I bought the bike.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Tupperwolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
It seems like European brands give test rides. Some are more liberal about it than others, but they all will generally give you the keys for a half-hour shakedown at least.

Japanese bikes are harder to try out. It seems like most dealerships that specialize in Japanese bikes are confident that the bikes will sell without a test ride.

Not sure what the factors are behind this. It seems like generally, Japanese bike dealerships are big and carrying the big four; The bikes are known to be reliable and less expensive - more of a practical decision. Euro bike dealerships are smaller and may only carry one or two brands. Buying a Euro bike is often an emotional decision rather than a practical one, and a test ride will give the buyer the experience that they need to seal the deal.
Tupperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Why dealers?

I guess I'm wondering why we still have dealers? Perhaps they were needed historically? Why not a system of shops owned by the manufacturers? When I want a new laptop, I go to the Apple store. There are no middle men involved at all. It's owned by Apple. It's techs work for Apple. The store is bright, clean, up-to-date, & the personnel are extremely well versed in the products. A sales rep. cashes me out on the sales floor with a small scanner on his belt. If something needs work, I bring it to any Apple store in the world. They scan it & know just who I am & where & when I bought it. It's far & away the best retail experience I've ever had. I'm betting that a Honda or Triumph store would be just as well run & pleasant.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree with you. Most european brands are more then willing to lend you a bike to drive even for a weekend. I understand totaly that there is costs involved for the dealer to have demobikes but I think the manufacturer should be helping them out. As some one already said, dealers targeting japanese brands seem's to be confident that their bikes will sell any way. I believe that we in the future will se more opportunities to buy directly from the manufacturer.

I was recently by a dealer in Stockholm and the dealer did not have any japanese bikes as demo bikes but he told me that he could offer me to testdrive any ducati I would like to have. Unbelievable.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I guess I'm wondering why we still have dealers? Perhaps they were needed historically? Why not a system of shops owned by the manufacturers? When I want a new laptop, I go to the Apple store. There are no middle men involved at all. It's owned by Apple. It's techs work for Apple. The store is bright, clean, up-to-date, & the personnel are extremely well versed in the products. A sales rep. cashes me out on the sales floor with a small scanner on his belt. If something needs work, I bring it to any Apple store in the world. They scan it & know just who I am & where & when I bought it. It's far & away the best retail experience I've ever had. I'm betting that a Honda or Triumph store would be just as well run & pleasant.
wouldn't work. i am no business grad so can't say why, but off the top of my head it sounds messy

assorted motorcycles are most def not a tablet or a phone. i do believe some auto dealers are factory owned, or they might take over struggling dealerships or hold an interest, but from what i understand the manufacturers would rather stay out of retail sales of bikes and cars

and what makes you think the stores would be better run if factory owned? they are dealing with the same product, need the same parts and service, and dealing with the same customers. most likely would have the same or even sharper focus on the bottom line

but then again i don't use Apple products and the few times i've been in one of their stores was not impressed too much so meh
Old 06-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
It doesn't seem that difficult to understand that giving test rides cost money so bikes with smaller margins give these less.

If you want a ride just find a used one to ride. Borrow a friends or whatever.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
If you want a ride just find a used one to ride. Borrow a friends or whatever.
Because most people have friends that own each competitive bike in each category?

Sounds legit...
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200E XC
'82 GS650G
kwb377 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Lots of people on here say they would lend a bike. That's what I meant by whatever

Generally I do find that you should buy a bike similar to your friends though so if you are having that much problems finding a friend with the bike I would say you are buying the wrong bike.

Borrowing a friends is usually way longer than the dealer test ride anyway which often is useless anyway.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #12
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In some countries people are more sensitive about lending their bike to somebody else. Here in Sweden it is almost tabu to ask person to testdrive their bike Some people has stickers on the bikes that says that they won't lend their bike to anybody.

Yesterday I meet a guy on harley electra glide 1200 from seventies, I wanted to ask him if we could swap bikes for 10-15 minits but since that would be out of order I didn't dare to ask.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

I thought all Scandinavia was actually quite communist and share things.

Maybe ask and you might be surprised
Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
Hi,

How is it in your country?
About the same. Harley being the most test ride friendly, Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki being the least. Ducatti and BMW there in the middle.

Victory might deserve it's own award and classification for hostility. Victory makes the best motorcycle in the world in their opinion, and you aren't worthy of one. It starts from there and goes downhill. There was a good chance I would have bought one once, but I couldn't find a dealership that would let me test ride one. In the end, the Victory dealers forced me to give up all thoughts I had of buying one.

So far, Indian seems to be following the Victory pattern. At the show, you weren't even allowed to stand near one, let alone touch it or god forbid sit on it.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
Probably because it's against the law in many states in the US. At least it is with automobiles. The auto dealers (and I assume moto dealers) lobby their state legislators VERY hard to prevent direct sales. Tesla motors is finding this out right now and is having a very rough go of it with some states. My own state just recently changed their laws to prevent Tesla from selling direct. Other auto manufacturers have tried this in the past as well, with the same results.

Google "tesla" , "fight" and "dealers" to find out more about how much dealers and state legislators suck and how corrupt our system is.