Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #166
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
MCN (UK) are saying it rides like a super naked, they place it just behind the KTM SMT.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #167
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
MCN (UK) are saying it rides like a super naked, they place it just behind the KTM SMT.
I went to the Indianapolis bike show and checked out everything from all the manufacturers. I love the feel of Triumph's 1050 motor in a street oriented bike, but if they're not going to import the 1050 Tiger Sport, they're going to lose this sale and I'm going to buy a KTM SMT instead. I would think that with the increasing average age of riders in the US, that more practical street-oriented bikes would sell better. That being said, I trust Triumph well enough to know better than me if it is going to be profitable for them to import the new 1050 Tiger.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #168
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Visor Down first ride...they like it.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...ort/22330.html
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #169
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I still get the sneaking feeling that the T.Sport and the latest Speed Triple are run out models. Wouldn't be all that surprised to see an all new Speedy 1200 at the end of year shows.
As for the T.Sport - it's a bit bare bones for the money. No handguards or center stand, although you could probably get those thrown in with a deal.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #170
3sum
local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer: 128
If the price included sidecases I'd be good with the pricing. But I think that $12800 US (doing the conversion) if it were to come, is too steep without luggage for an over the road bike.
That being said, I'd love for the Sport to come, but won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Chris Pope
Locust Grove, GA
10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
57 Cushman Eagle
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #171
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post
If the price included sidecases I'd be good with the pricing. But I think that $12800 US (doing the conversion) if it were to come, is too steep without luggage for an over the road bike.
That being said, I'd love for the Sport to come, but won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Chris Pope
Locust Grove, GA
57 Cushman Eagle
Well, actually the price of 12.8k usd is right in the middle between the tiger explorer 1200 and the t800. So imo that price would be just right.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #172
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post

Chris Pope
Locust Grove, GA
57 Cushman Eagle
I think that price would be pretty fair compared to a KTM SMT, especially considering the KTM just comes with cheap textile luggage. I think motorcycle manufacturers do themselves a disservice when they put cheap or flimsy looking luggage on an otherwise really solid bike. A great example would be at the Indy Progressive Insurance bike show this weekend. The stock luggage on the Triumph Tiger 800 and Explorer looked flimsy and cheap. The same Triumph Explorer outfitted with Trax bags at the Twisted Throttle booth looked rock solid and awesome. If I bought a new Tiger 1050 Sport, the first thing I would do is mount my Trax aluminum boxes to it, even if that meant Ebaying the factory luggage.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #173
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I still get the sneaking feeling that the T.Sport and the latest Speed Triple are run out models. Wouldn't be all that surprised to see an all new Speedy 1200 at the end of year shows.
As for the T.Sport - it's a bit bare bones for the money. No handguards or center stand, although you could probably get those thrown in with a deal.
I'd agree except that the TSport has 120 new parts. Seems odd to tool up for them, for a 1-2 year run.

I think it is Triumph's new upright sport tourer, with the demise of the Sprint.
IBA #40578

Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #174
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
I'd agree except that the TSport has 120 new parts. Seems odd to tool up for them, for a 1-2 year run.

I think it is Triumph's new upright sport tourer, with the demise of the Sprint.
Who knows how true or even what that means. They could have changed 60 fasteners or consolidated a myriad number of parts from other production lines to save costs. There may be no tooling costs at all.

P.s. based on the initial ride reports it sounds exactly the bike I'm looking for
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #175
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Who knows how true or even what that means. They could have changed 60 fasteners or consolidated a myriad number of parts from other production lines to save costs. There may be no tooling costs at all.

P.s. based on the initial ride reports it sounds exactly the bike I'm looking for
Maybe, but sport-tourers are kinda dying, as a category.

This bike doesn't have a lot of gizmos, but does have some practical changes that make it a good choice for some, eg. better pillion provision, revised gear-box, higher bhp, better mpg, new swingarm, revised suspension.
IBA #40578

Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #176
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
As so often - we get the nice bikes late or never ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #177
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

The luggage is breathtakingly expensive. 900 for side cases and 350 for a top box. No way jose..
Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #178
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
The luggage is breathtakingly expensive. 900 for side cases and 350 for a top box. No way jose..
Ouch.

Then again, I just notice the hard luggage for the new KTM 1190 is 1277..
IBA #40578

Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #179
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

There's any interesting aside on the Visordown site. In the feedback section, the tester - Ben Cope - says that he asked Triumph why the bike didn't get a under engine exhaust. The Triumph bod replied that one couldn't be made to fit on this generation of bike - but one will be made for future models.
Adds weight to the rumour of a new Speed Triple based on the 1200cc motor coming at the end of year..and it would appear that the Tiger Sport moniker will be passed along to the next derivative.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #180
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,562
Quote:
There's any interesting aside on the Visordown site. In the feedback section, the tester - Ben Cope - says that he asked Triumph why the bike didn't get a under engine exhaust. The Triumph bod replied that one couldn't be made to fit on this generation of bike - but one will be made for future models.
Adds weight to the rumour of a new Speed Triple based on the 1200cc motor coming at the end of year..and it would appear that the Tiger Sport moniker will be passed along to the next derivative.
I just can't see them using the 1200 from the Explorer - it's HUGE. Wouldn't a new generation 1000 which can be spread across a sport range seem more likely (well, not likely. What do I know about Triumph product roadmaps - that's right, nothing).

The current 1200? :shudder