ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #196
dman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 526
650 V Strom owner here who is considering an upgrade to a modern, sporty, upright liter-bike. I have a DR650 for dirt so would shift towards a more street-oriented bike that's a blend of my Wee and my older Monster ... Multistrada, KTM 990 SMT, or Tiger 1050. The Tiger never appealed but somehow the subtle improvements on the 1050 Sport push all the right buttons for me. I just assumed it would be imported ... can't imagine why not (seems much better for the US market than the 800 Roadie). And by the way, compared to my Wee I think the new Tiger is gorgeous.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #197
3sum
local Triumph fanboy
 
3sum's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Locust Grove, GA
Oddometer: 119
I've all but resigned myself to thinking I'll never see one in the flesh, so I'm looking elsewhere for my next ride once my Speed Triple sells. If I weren't so fickle, I'd just buy another Tiger 1050 like I had the last four years. But I don't want the same bike as I just sold.

If someone wanted to have a fire sale on an Explorer, I'd be all over one.
__________________
Locust Grove, GA
'07 Sprint ABS
'57 Cushman
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #198
jonoabq
ow.
 
jonoabq's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 19
I had a 06' Tiger for over five years and logged many back to back 500 mile days, regular commuting, and a fair bit of peg dragging in the mountains. The suspension was utter crap and was swapped out for top shelf aftermarket. That said, as a "do everything" motorbike it was pretty damn good, even with the 19" front. I liked the 1050 Tiger when I rode it but again, crap suspension. Being 5'10" and 150 lbs. being cramped up ergonomically has never been much of an issue on most sportier rides. On my 11' Speed Triple I can commute, knock off eight hour days in the saddle with no problem, and in the twisties loaded up with gear it is "nearly" flawless. Suspension setup takes a bit of time, and chattery/lumpy roads at speed can still unsettle it a bit. Stay on the gas and you will be rewarded with a very composed, not to say docile, sport touring rig. (integrated tail lights/signals, hyperlight, full Arrow lowboy, Giant Loop luggage, heated grips)
jonoabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #199
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Metairie, near New Orleans
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoabq View Post
I had a 06' Tiger for over five years and logged many back to back 500 mile days, regular commuting, and a fair bit of peg dragging in the mountains. The suspension was utter crap and was swapped out for top shelf aftermarket. That said, as a "do everything" motorbike it was pretty damn good, even with the 19" front. I liked the 1050 Tiger when I rode it but again, crap suspension. Being 5'10" and 150 lbs. being cramped up ergonomically has never been much of an issue on most sportier rides. On my 11' Speed Triple I can commute, knock off eight hour days in the saddle with no problem, and in the twisties loaded up with gear it is "nearly" flawless. Suspension setup takes a bit of time, and chattery/lumpy roads at speed can still unsettle it a bit. Stay on the gas and you will be rewarded with a very composed, not to say docile, sport touring rig. (integrated tail lights/signals, hyperlight, full Arrow lowboy, Giant Loop luggage, heated grips)
So are you saying you prefer the s3 to the tiger?
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #200
3sum
local Triumph fanboy
 
3sum's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Locust Grove, GA
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
So are you saying you prefer the s3 to the tiger?
That's what it sounds like, but seems backwards to me. Calling an S3 all day comfortable and a Tiger cramped?
__________________
Locust Grove, GA
'07 Sprint ABS
'57 Cushman
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #201
vellies
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post
That's what it sounds like, but seems backwards to me. Calling an S3 all day comfortable and a Tiger cramped?
I think all he is saying is due to his size he does not have any issues with being cramped on bikes, even the S3 is therefore comfortable.
__________________
DRZ400E - My off-road exploration vehicle, loves the dirt
2013 MultiStrada - A dream come true
vellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #202
3sum
local Triumph fanboy
 
3sum's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Locust Grove, GA
Oddometer: 119
Ok, makes sense. I haven't been wrong about anything yet this year, so I'm due. :-)


Chris Pope
Locust Grove, GA
10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
57 Cushman Eagle
__________________
Locust Grove, GA
'07 Sprint ABS
'57 Cushman
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #203
jonoabq
ow.
 
jonoabq's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 19
Sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear...it just works out that way sometimes. Yeah, due to the fact that I'm shorter/light I can fit sportier bikes for longer trips without suffering. The exception might be (insert Ducati product) a really long reach to the bars. The Tigers ergos were really good for long days in the saddle but wind buffeting generally sucked. The S3's ergos are decidedly sportier, but less wind buffeting leaves me much less tired at the end of the day. (more wind, yes, but its clean air, less turbulence)
I like the last two full size iterations of the Tiger (955i & 1050) they are great bikes, but they give up a lot in the twisties without suspension upgrades. Out of the box I much prefer the 2011 and up Speed Triple for sport touring/commuting/canyon carving over either of the full size Tigers.

Slap on some heated grips, a 12v. supply for a vest and its a pretty capable sport touring rig...though not for everybody. I've done the cross country/loaded panniers/kitchen sink/camping thing and I get it. But I'm more into staying at hotels/friends places, packing suuuuper light and really upping the ride quality on the mountain roads the last few years, instead of packing up everything in the Aerostich catalog.

jonoabq screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 01:06 PM
jonoabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #204
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Paulvt1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Wolverhampton. England.
Oddometer: 3,310
Nice video here. Don't understand a word - but the scenery and sound of the triple is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aTZK7CmeOlg
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #205
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Western New York
Oddometer: 614
Oh yea. the last few minutes are a blast!
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #206
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Metairie, near New Orleans
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Nice video here. Don't understand a word - but the scenery and sound of the triple is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aTZK7CmeOlg
That video was just INTOXICATING! Thanks

Now why in the hell would they decide to NOT bring it here... there's nothing in the US market like it, not in that price range anyway...

MariusD screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 08:44 PM
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #207
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 720
Wow! I can't go upstairs all sweaty like this; my wife will think I've been watching porn! Listen to that triple! Please, please, please bring this bike to the US! (I want the red and black one)
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #208
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 45,635
I'm getting ready to commute home on my 07 Tiger 1050 in 10 minutes, I had to turn that video off because it was filling my head with bad ideas.

I have to say, I was riding in this morning thinking about how I had outgrown "New Bike Fever" because my Tiger fits me just right, runs strong, handles well and I can't see ever selling it. It is just a great all around bike.

However! A Tiger Sport would have me rethinking that pretty damn quick*. What a good looking, great sounding machine.

*Too late, I want one.

Come on Triumph USA, I've owned 4 new Triumphs in the last 14 years, you owe me a shot at one of those beasts!!!!!!
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #209
3sum
local Triumph fanboy
 
3sum's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Locust Grove, GA
Oddometer: 119
If there was even the slightest chance this was coming Stateside, I'd hold onto my Speed Triple for another year. But I haven't heard one scintilla of evidence that'll happen. Oh well, no Speed Tiger for me.

Someone buy my Speedy so I can go out and buy another Tiger like I had before I guess...
__________________
Locust Grove, GA
'07 Sprint ABS
'57 Cushman
IBA #8759
3sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #210
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Metairie, near New Orleans
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post
If there was even the slightest chance this was coming Stateside, I'd hold onto my Speed Triple for another year. But I haven't heard one scintilla of evidence that'll happen. Oh well, no Speed Tiger for me.

Someone buy my Speedy so I can go out and buy another Tiger like I had before I guess...
I'm in a similar predicament. Thinking of picking up a Tenere, but since I'm 100% slab, I'd prefer this Tiger. I'd hate to buy the s10 and then find out this tiger is coming here... Maybe I should buy the 07 Tiger 1050 that I saw on cl as a hold me over for a year or two... ... decisions, decisions...
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014