User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
wipfel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Rock Island State Park, TN

I got my 2010 Concours 14 ABS Friday afternoon, and I couldn't resists taking a trip Saturday morning. So, I browsed around Google maps and found Rock Island State Park, which looked pretty interesting. Good pics, about the right distance and decent looking roads.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ol...rce=gplus-ogsb

First the new Connie.

I got up Saturday morning around 5:30, got prepped and headed out as soon as it got light.

Headed through Murfeesboro and eventually through Woodbury. I took a shot of the courthouse, which was about the only thing in the town I could find worth taking a picture of (no offense to the Woodbury residents). I'm still working on taking the time to get off the bike to get more pictures.

Took about an hour and a half to get to the park. Here's the entrance.

I wasn't sure of the layout of the park, so I took the first interesting turn. It lead to the Blue Hole. Here's the bike in the parking lot...looking back toward the rising sun.

[/img]

I had to park in front of this sign to get a pic of it and the bike. I thought, "I'm young, healthy and in average shape. Shouldn't be a problem."

The start of the trail...yep, not a problem.

First view of the Blue Hole through the trees. Very nice!

Took the turn you see at the bottom of the pic above and experienced the first suspicion that maybe they weren't being overly cautious with the "extreme caution" part.

Where did the trail go?

Oh, it doubles back underneath the stairs and becomes a 12 inch-wide metal grate with a stream of running water under it (no pics unfortunately).

Made my way a little further down the switchbacks.

After a couple of falls (touring boots do not hiking boots make), I realized I wouldn't be going after further, unfortunately. I'll have to come back in the summer or fall and get some more pics. I headed back up the trail and was hand-on-my-knees gasping by the time I got back to the parking lot. :s_laugh: I need to work out more.

Here's another shot of the bike after I managed to get a little more oxygen in my system.

I hopped back on the bike and kept exploring the park. Found the signs leading to the beach and got a few more pics.

Downriver

[/img]

Upriver (back toward the Blue Hole)

I figured I'd seen about as much as I needed to given that I wasn't geared up for exploring a park this large, so I hopped back on the Connie and headed back the way I'd come. I found a small diner, had some late breakfast (possibly the worst omelet ever) and headed back toward Nashville to meet some friends.

Pretty simple ride but I got in about 180 miles to get comfortable with the new girl. On a side note I had a guy try to race me...in a Maxima. :)) I declined due to my inexperience with a sport-touring type bike, but I'm pretty confident I could have taken him.

wipfel screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 09:40 AM
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
Next time throw some hiking boots in the saddle bags, and you'll be good to go.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 329
Ride Report

Thanks for sharing your RR and photos. Those Connies are quite the sport touring m/c.
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
whistlepig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Enjoyed your RR Wipfel. Bty, I know that area very well. I grew up just north of McMinnville. I spent many hours at Rock Island as a teenager. Riding out of Maryville, Tn now. Drop me a line when you plan to be in the area.
KTM 950SE
1969 FLH (project)
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
wipfel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoot View Post
Thanks for sharing your RR and photos. Those Connies are quite the sport touring m/c.
Thanks, and they are definitely awesome. I went from a VStar 950 to this, and it has put a smile on my face every day so far.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
wipfel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
Enjoyed your RR Wipfel. Bty, I know that area very well. I grew up just north of McMinnville. I spent many hours at Rock Island as a teenager. Riding out of Maryville, Tn now. Drop me a line when you plan to be in the area.
Will do. I'd like to come back out there this summer or fall and explore the park a little more. We've talked more than once about taking an overnight trip to some of the cabins around Centerhill Lake as well.