ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Coastie3202 OP
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 843
Rainfall Roseburg vs Eugene

What is the rainfall difference between Roseburg, OR and Eugene, OR? It appears from what I can find on the internet that is pretty significant which is puzzling since Roseburg is only 70 miles from Eugene.

Oregonians, help me understand this please. All part of the relocation decision process.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202 View Post
What is the rainfall difference between Roseburg, OR and Eugene, OR? It appears from what I can find on the internet that is pretty significant which is puzzling since Roseburg is only 70 miles from Eugene.

Oregonians, help me understand this please. All part of the relocation decision process.
Roseburg about a hundred feet higher in elevation, and completely out of the Willamette Valley... it's in a very different climate zone than their hot-air filled cousins further north are, in the Occupy Eugene zone.

Lotsa PNW/Orygun weather-related goodness here: http://appliedclimate.wordpress.com/ Tree-huggers do NOT like this one.

edit- that's not to say that Roseburg is dry... you can still have 10 day stretches of solid wet/gray days with zero blue sky, and only end up with an inch of total precip.

The upside is that a lot of the paved roads in the Coast Range stay greened up well into summer.

Tosh Togo screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 10:51 AM
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,370
Cool site, TT - thanks for the link!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
VancouverBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Coastie,

See my response to your thread in the CA Regional forum. You need to check out Grants Pass or Bend. I'm in a similar position, looking for that perfect retirement location. I'm looking very hard at the Sacramento area, actually just east in the Folsom / Granite Bay area. Lots of good riding in virtually every direction and a decent climate. Its CA, which isn't kind to retirees, but at least you can almost always count on decent weather! Have fun looking!
VancouverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,363
Here's another link for weather geeks:
http://www.ocs.orst.edu/

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,370
Thanks, Mike!

Here's another one: http://weatherspark.com/

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
More OCS goodness- http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu/page_...satellite.html

Start with GOES images/visible/Oregon/large. You can literally see what's blowing in well before it gets to you.

More weather satellite linkies- http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data...html#satellite It looks like a really bad day is developing in the south today.

http://www.ocs.orst.edu/body.html

Blame this guy for most of it-

Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Coastie3202 OP
King of the Mountain

Hijacked.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Dear Coastie,
Hyjacking continues
NM aint that bad, why I had a fresh home smoked salmon snack for lunch today

yes we had a bit of fog yesterday.......... However is was a bit contradictory of what my dad said when we were fishing out of LaPush and I quote: It wont be very windy if it is foggy

Rebuttal to that quote: Only in NM it is coming again this afternoon

As part of your quest for retirement location nirvana, visit city-data.com. you will find more information about weather rain snow wind sunshine days etc and crime stats and cost of living index etc compared to US average for a town or city than you can shake a stick at.
Cost of living index for Eugene is 97.3, Roseburg 88.3, Grants Pass 92.3, Reno 95.3, Alamogordo 83.7, cheap to live here reflected in the wages. Based on US average of 100.
Crime index is 322, 295, 302, 275, 232 in the same order of cities. I guess everbody in Alamo must be armed or something.

NOAA,com will have weather records and averages for the last 30 years but it takes some time to locate them on their website. You will be able to tell who gets the rain and heat and snow etc.

If it is cloudy and drizzly it just as well be raining so 18" (Medford) to 31" (Grants Pass/Roseburg) to 50" (Eugene) a year may not be a big deal. Just hang out and tinker on something

Option #2 Spend the winters in the AZ

Gillus screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 02:41 PM Reason: edit text
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
Dear Coastie,
Option numero tres: Spend the winters (and a less dollares) in central baja. 500 miles of good riding to the north and south. 9 months of good weather instead of 9 months of bad!

No heating bills, unless you count mesquite firewood for the December happy hours!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Coastie3202 OP
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
Dear Coastie,
Hyjacking continues
NM aint that bad, why I had a fresh home smoked salmon snack for lunch today

yes we had a bit of fog yesterday.......... However is was a bit contradictory of what my dad said when we were fishing out of LaPush and I quote: It wont be very windy if it is foggy

Rebuttal to that quote: Only in NM it is coming again this afternoon

As part of your quest for retirement location nirvana, visit city-data.com. you will find more information about weather rain snow wind sunshine days etc and crime stats and cost of living index etc compared to US average for a town or city than you can shake a stick at.
Cost of living index for Eugene is 97.3, Roseburg 88.3, Grants Pass 92.3, Reno 95.3, Alamogordo 83.7, cheap to live here reflected in the wages. Based on US average of 100.
Crime index is 322, 295, 302, 275, 232 in the same order of cities. I guess everbody in Alamo must be armed or something.

NOAA,com will have weather records and averages for the last 30 years but it takes some time to locate them on their website. You will be able to tell who gets the rain and heat and snow etc.

If it is cloudy and drizzly it just as well be raining so 18" (Medford) to 31" (Grants Pass/Roseburg) to 50" (Eugene) a year may not be a big deal. Just hang out and tinker on something

Your Dad was talking about white fog.....our fog is brown. That just ain't right.

Thanks for info Gillus. Man I sure wish I lived close to someone with so much knowledge to share. WAIT! Aren't you just down the street? Yeah, you are. And Oh My Oh My, that salmon is so good.