Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #526
Salt
Moto Whore

Oddometer: 109
Caselli's Preparations?

Does anyone know if Kurt has any experience at all with rally-raid route books and GPS's and Dakar rally style navigation? Yes, he's very fast and an excellent off-road racer, but will that be enough given the short time he has to prepare? Unless maybe he's run a rally-raid before or at least some type of experience there?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #527
Enduro10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I never trusted those maps anyway. They were intentionally drawn wrong, so for me they were more of a distraction than a useful tool. Usually only the start and finish points were correct.

In addition to other tricks, I think you used the elevation profiles to help. I don’t recall having those available when I did it. For me, the most valuable tool was searching the internet for local news articles and forum posts from locals in the areas where the route went. I found lots of cases where the locals knew small details in their immediate area, and they sometimes posted a few bits of information, like “the route goes through this small village” or “near XYZ mountain” (not knowing much Spanish slowed me down a lot). I would find those places in Google Earth, put a placemark there, and continue searching for more tips. Also, some of the ASO recon videos showed features that I found in Google Earth. And sometimes the stage description on their website had a few tips about the terrain. Once I had a bunch of points where I thought the stage went, I would try to string them together in Google Earth, searching for roads that looked like the kind of stuff that would be used for Dakar. Usually there were several ways to get from one point to the next, so I would draw them all in Google Earth, and calculate the length for each. The key to knowing if I was right was to use the stage distance ASO published for spectator zone locations and other key points like CP’s. They gave GPS coordinates for the Spectator zones, so I knew 100% where those points on the course were. If my hand-drawn route added up to the same kilometers at those key points and for the overall stage length, and all the other pieces of evidence were right, I figured I had it correct. It was an amazing feeling when I mapped a hundred mile section through all kinds of twisty roads, and my calculated distance was within one kilometer of what ASO said.

But my approach would not work well in dunes or other HP (no road) areas. To get that just right, you really need the roadbooks. If I ever attempt this again, I would get the roadbook from a competitor and map it that way. That would be a lot easier, and would work fine through HP areas.

Some info are coming from the local Argentina news, concerning to where the race will cross.
Check this in Spanish: http://www.elliberal.com.ar/ampliada.php?ID=66249
"... ruta Nº157 que viene de Tucumán, atravesando Ambargasta, Lavalle, para continuar por Frías y de esta manera penetrar en suelo cordobés en donde tendrá una jornada de descanso en Carlos Paz, antes de dejar las sierras para pasar por La Rioja con dirección al vecino hacia Chile..." seems that the route from Tucumán to Cordoba will be the reverse from Dakar 2011.
The track can be downloaded here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=68B2A...DCE9A5A59B!420
Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #528
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Reading all these post's about lack of roadbook training & navigation being a huge concern for last minute replacements got me to thinking. Is there a video game available that incorporates a road book & bike racing?

If not I think it would be an awesome idea & a massive marketing success. Actual virtual reality rally raid racing using road books with typical rally raid back ground & terrain riding in the mix with the usual crash & burn if you fail in any way. Never heard of such a program, but rather surprised it or something similar doen't exist. How many keyboard wariors wouldn't want to do a virtul rally from the safety of their homes using all the same road book sign's the actual rally uses? Split screen with road book on 1\3 of the screen & rider P.O.V. on 2\3's would be freakin awesome & n excellent learning tool.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #529
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I think an appearance of Manuel's grandma has become a Dakar tradition.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #530
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Does anyone know if Kurt has any experience at all with rally-raid route books and GPS's and Dakar rally style navigation? Yes, he's very fast and an excellent off-road racer, but will that be enough given the short time he has to prepare? Unless maybe he's run a rally-raid before or at least some type of experience there?
I don't think that KTM would put him in Coma's place on a Factory effort if they thought he wasn't sufficiently prepared. My guess is that he has done some secret, under-the-radar navigation training.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #531
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Nate!

You're alive!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #532
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
I don't think that KTM would put him in Coma's place on a Factory effort if they thought he wasn't sufficiently prepared. My guess is that he has done some secret, under-the-radar navigation training.
I have a pretty good radar, and never saw any indication he did any roadbook training.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #533
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I have a pretty good radar, and never saw any indication he did any roadbook training.
I would say you have a very good radar for these things. If he hasn't done any roadbook training in the U.S. what's the possibility he snuck some in elsewhere? I don't keep tabs on Caselli's travels but I'm sure someone on here has. Anyone know if he has been on a road trip elsewhere when he could have gotten a crash course? I would suspect if anything it would have had to have taken place since Baja.

Does anyone know what Jimmy Lewis has been up to the past few weeks? Someone is certainly in the know and isn't spilling the beans.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #534
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,187
Neil, I hope you don't mind if I post your two new videos here:

Death Valley Ride
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #535
tatterhood
Sturdy Girl

Oddometer: 5,001
I am pregnant this year, due on Jan 20. Ramping up for Dakar, getting excited and thinking that maybe Dysco and I'll have to name the kiddo after the winner of the stage if he's born while the race is on.

Adventure is a state of mind...
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #536
husqvarna
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Rookie result

Andy Haydon's 1998 result was great and also that Alfie Cox finished 4th in the same year on his first Dakar; a private, self funded entry.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #537
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqvarna View Post
Andy Haydon's 1998 result was great and also that Alfie Cox finished 4th in the same year on his first Dakar; a private, self funded entry.
Both fantastic riders think cox also won the first erzberg race in austria,and roof of africa winner?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #538
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatterhood View Post
I am pregnant this year, due on Jan 20. Ramping up for Dakar, getting excited and thinking that maybe Dysco and I'll have to name the kiddo after the winner of the stage if he's born while the race is on.
Tatterhood, good luck with the birth.. I hope you know that it's gonna be a boy otherwise you might end up with a girl called Cyril
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #539
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Tatterhood, good luck with the birth.. I hope you know that it's gonna be a boy otherwise you might end up with a girl called Cyril
Well maybe Despres might fit slightly better in that case?
Good luck from my side as well!

Phil
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #540
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatterhood View Post

uhhoo that could be interesting...

and congratulations!
Closed Thread