Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #558
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
he is talking about this moment?
Hey! I remember that moment...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #559
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
I want to add a little color commentary this year for those of us at home. Today seems like a great day to start. Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays!

What's it like to be one of the people destined for the start line in 12 days time? I can only share my own experience, but I imagine many people are feeling similar so here goes.

For years, you've dreamed of this race. For months, you've been absolutely dedicated to every aspect of getting to the start. For weeks, much of that effort has been behind you, so you find yourself in an uncomfortable place where there's nothing left to do, except fret about the details. With each passing day until the start, the feelings get stronger.

For me, and I imagine for many first timers, this calm before the storm is at least as great a challenge as anything in the race itself. It's easy to feel like there's been some mistake, like the whole plan that seemed so glamorous months ago when the first check went in is destined for failure. If someone had offered me a time machine, I would have been sorely tempted to undo the whole thing.

But of course, that's only half the story. The other half is the excitement of what is to come. You know that no matter what, you're about to do something you've been dreaming about, about to live big days you'll remember the rest of your life. And you know you're going to get to ride your motorcycle, and hopefully, that's something you love to do.

I can only guess how it is for the pilots who are returning. For everyone, I think Dakar is about pushing boundaries- of speed, of endurance. I imagine the guys at the front have a parallel duality to newcomers- both fear and the excitement for speed.

Whatever the halves are called, the reality is that they balance one another to some extent but don't cancel each other out. The trepidation is real and it's big, and so is the excitement, and the sum of the two means your nervous system is set to 11.

In a few days time, scrutineering will start and everyone will slide under the bubble that is Dakar... but for now, the bubble hasn't been inflated yet, and you are left to imagine. As any lingerie designer will tell you, the imagination is a powerful thing.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #560
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Neil, I hope you don't mind if I post your two new videos here:

No problem Dread I was going to post it here myself, but wanted to be sure there Screwtube did not decide to remove the vids so some silly reason beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Both fantastic riders think cox also won the first erzberg race in austria,and roof of africa winner?
Yes, he is a Roof Champ.

Quote:
Here

So this is a little off-topic for the 2013 Dakar, but Neil, is it looking like a real possibility that you'll be racing in the 2014 Dakar?

And are there any other adv inmates considering riding in 2014?
Yip, that is the plan.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #561
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,892
Ned, thanks again for being so generous with your insight and sharing the experience with those of us who will never go.

As a spectator from home, it really makes the whole spectacle better and more personal.

BC glad to year you're gonna give it another go

Sorry if I missed the discussion in the thread, but did I hear something about a volcano on the Argentina/Chile border getting ready to go ?
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #562
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
1985: Chuck Stearns, a young hotshot from the SoCal desert racing scene joins the Yamaha Dakar team. On a factory XT660, he wins 5 stages and finishes 6th overall in his first Dakar.
And on a Dakar where the abandon rate was (I believe) the highest ever. 22 days of racing, 14.000 kms, 7.470 of SS!!

135 motorcycles left Paris, only 25 reached Dakar.

MotoXplorers.com
Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #563
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Hey, y'all! Look what got caught in the trap. :
Nate is out of hibernation! I guess we're all ready to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I want to add a little color commentary this year for those of us at home. Today seems like a great day to start. Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays!
Thanks for the insight, Ned! Merry Christmas.

MotoXplorers.com
Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #564
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,559
Quote:

What's it like to be one of the people destined for the start line in 12 days time? I can only share my own experience, but I imagine many people are feeling similar so here goes.

For years, you've dreamed of this race. For months, you've been absolutely dedicated to every aspect of getting to the start. For weeks, much of that effort has been behind you, so you find yourself in an uncomfortable place where there's nothing left to do, except fret about the details. With each passing day until the start, the feelings get stronger.

For me, and I imagine for many first timers, this calm before the storm is at least as great a challenge as anything in the race itself. It's easy to feel like there's been some mistake, like the whole plan that seemed so glamorous months ago when the first check went in is destined for failure. If someone had offered me a time machine, I would have been sorely tempted to undo the whole thing.

But of course, that's only half the story. The other half is the excitement of what is to come. You know that no matter what, you're about to do something you've been dreaming about, about to live big days you'll remember the rest of your life. And you know you're going to get to ride your motorcycle, and hopefully, that's something you love to do.

I can only guess how it is for the pilots who are returning. For everyone, I think Dakar is about pushing boundaries- of speed, of endurance. I imagine the guys at the front have a parallel duality to newcomers- both fear and the excitement for speed.

Whatever the halves are called, the reality is that they balance one another to some extent but don't cancel each other out. The trepidation is real and it's big, and so is the excitement, and the sum of the two means your nervous system is set to 11.

In a few days time, scrutineering will start and everyone will slide under the bubble that is Dakar... but for now, the bubble hasn't been inflated yet, and you are left to imagine. As any lingerie designer will tell you, the imagination is a powerful thing.
Thanks for taking my mind off the Dakar....couldn't help but start visualizing the Victoria Secret tv commercials....shook my head and had to refocus..happy holidays Ned

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #565
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:

And are there any other adv inmates considering Dakar 2014?
does driving count ?

if so then yes

Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #566
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
does driving count ?

if so then yes

Was that you that passed me about a hundred times at Safari? Sorry about that
Old 12-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #567
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,461
Quote:

Thanks, Ned.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #568
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
And to you Ned, as well as every single f5 inmate. A great holiday season to all, catch you all come the 5th
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #569
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
And a merry Christmas to you and yours, Ned!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #570
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
Yes
Great news, when's the new prep thread gonna be started?

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Closed Thread