Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #916
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
Now open for business

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #917
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Is Annie Seel racing this year? I read a blurb that she was switching to a car but I don't see her name on the list.
Not sure how it goes for her to get in the car category more than a few entries in rallying and little offroad rallying also. The link is to the test drive she did for Pewano team that Alfie Cox had to leave burning on the 1'st stage last year.

Money is not easy to find for a car seat i think.. I would more liked it if she got a better bike so she could be more competetive than her last entry on the old junk she rode..
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #918
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
is it me, or are there only two women in the bike class this year?

Leila Sanz and Josefina Gardulski
That is correct. Only the two of them this year.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #919
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammie View Post
Not sure how it goes for her to get in the car category more than a few entries in rallying and little offroad rallying also. The link is to the test drive she did for Pewano team that Alfie Cox had to leave burning on the 1'st stage last year.

Money is not easy to find for a car seat i think.. I would more liked it if she got a better bike so she could be more competetive than her last entry on the old junk she rode..
I didn't see her listed in the Cars Competitors List. Sad that she's not racing.

That was unfortunate for Alfie last year. I didn't see his name in the listings either.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #920
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
That is correct. Only the two of them this year.
http://www.efe1enblog.com/2013/01/la...akar-2013.html

Camelia Liparoti de Italia en Quads
Josefina Gardulski de Chile en Motos

Martha Mariño de Colombia en coches
Stefanie Manns de Alemania Autos
Laia Sanz de España en Motos
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #921
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I didn't see her listed in the Cars Competitors List. Sad that she's not racing.

That was unfortunate for Alfie last year. I didn't see his name in the listings either.
No she is not going to enter the Dakar this year.. She has been doing som small rally event here nationally and what i think a offroad rally recently i europe. Guess we have to wait and see if she shows up in the bigger events..
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #922
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Usually my consideration defaults to the two wheeled competitors.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #923
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

@DakarOfficial mobile apps now available:

Android
iPhone

Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #924
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Oh man, that CD profile video has some great footage... Honestly he is so good at what he does, pendejo or not, that I have to respect him. Last year's stage 8 or all the bad rep cannot change the fact that he is in a different class from all but Coma. Their consistency is, I believe, their most unique characteristic.

TIL: My Dakar heroes are actually smelly pigs who piss on themselves... (re the Pavey interview)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #925
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,029
Re. Promotional start order SS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
Sorry to insist, but first stage is run in reverse order for bikes (first Quads from 250, then bikes from high numbers to 1 Despres) and "normal" (from 300 on)?

I guess they will follow last year ramp scheme, but 2013 there is a stage after the ramp.
Can someone confirm this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Think you maybe be right here Doyle, confusion between the Robbie Ramp and the 13 km SS1.

I've been trying to consider how the 13km SS 1 will be run and incorporated into the SS2 start - I assume they will keep the Elite top 50 seperate, however with some fast (seriously top 10 fast) Ozzie guys well down on the numbers and them wanting to get good times for a better SS2 start position there could be fireworks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
I am speaking of actual SS1.

My doubt comes because an Argentinean quad riders, commented that in the opportunity of ASO seminar for first timers in Buenos Aires (with nani oma explaining some important details) they were commented that forst stage would be run in reverse order.

I initially though same as Doyle, that he may be confusing with the ramp.
But then I started wondering if the ASO would want to bradcast Ramp and SS, then bikes in reverse, and cars in normal, would make sense for a 2 hour TV show, were the best ones are shown.

I read the Dakar "Reglement", and it states in "15P Starting Order" that for SS1 the starting order would be defined by rider assigned number.
So it seems already defined, and probably my confusion here.
In reality SS1 on Day 1 (5th jan) is in effect a "prologue" - a short liason after the ceremonial start outside of Lima - the relatively short 13 km special stage (SS1) and then the balance of the 250 km liason section to Pisco. SS1 will serve the purpose of ranking the field for the start of the rally stages in earnest from SS2 (day two).

As per the reg's SS1 start order is determined by the order of the allocated start numbers... and this is exactly what they are doing (only for the motos/quads - it is in reverse order)... as Zeque points out by doing so for the ceremonial ramp start and SS1 it keeps the "stars" of the moto and auto categories closest together and works well for the purpose of a condensed/tight TV broadcast.

As far as any advantage/disadvantage is concerned... well depending on the type of terrain and course marking/navigation difficulty, this may well play into the hands of the late starters. assuming (from last years final selective stage) that they have laid out a 13 km loop on a mix of sandy/offroad terrain (think desert sprint stage) intended to be spectator friendly (think lined with enthusiastic spectators from start to finish - think Lac Rose, but more people!) then it may be that for Cyril and co it will be a matter of just gassing it up and following the mx track like wheel tracks!

For the reverse order early starters (high numbers) they could be the ones laying the path... for others to follow... but I am envisiging something more like a WRC stage in semi desert, than a full on CAP nav dune epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #926
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
In reality SS1 on Day 1 (5th jan) is in effect a "prologue" - a short liason after the ceremonial start outside of Lima - the relatively short 13 km special stage (SS1) and then the balance of the 250 km liason section to Pisco. SS1 will serve the purpose of ranking the field for the start of the rally stages in earnest from SS2 (day two).

As per the reg's SS1 start order is determined by the order of the allocated start numbers... and this is exactly what they are doing (only for the motos/quads - it is in reverse order)... as Zeque points out by doing so for the ceremonial ramp start and SS1 it keeps the "stars" of the moto and auto categories closest together and works well for the purpose of a condensed/tight TV broadcast.

As far as any advantage/disadvantage is concerned... well depending on the type of terrain and course marking/navigation difficulty, this may well play into the hands of the late starters. assuming (from last years final selective stage) that they have laid out a 13 km loop on a mix of sandy/offroad terrain (think desert sprint stage) intended to be spectator friendly (think lined with enthusiastic spectators from start to finish - think Lac Rose, but more people!) then it may be that for Cyril and co it will be a matter of just gassing it up and following the mx track like wheel tracks!

For the reverse order early starters (high numbers) they could be the ones laying the path... for others to follow... but I am envisiging something more like a WRC stage in semi desert, than a full on CAP nav dune epic!

I was envisioning dunes for the bulk of SS1....didn't the ASO say something about dunes right from the get go? The last stage, last year had a few dunes and was also ran in reverse starting order (unless I am mistaken). Morning fog will also put the starters at a disadvantage along with the pressure of opening the track. So who is the unlucky rider to open the piste of day one ? I can only fathom the nerves he'll be dealing with

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #927
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I was envisioning dunes for the bulk of SS1....didn't the ASO say something about dunes right from the get go? The last stage, last year had a few dunes and was also ran in reverse starting order (unless I am mistaken). Morning fog will also put the starters at a disadvantage along with the pressure of opening the track. So who is the unlucky rider to open the piste of day one ? I can only fathom the nerves he'll be dealing with
Yep, the final stage was run in reverse last year also (same TV consideration for the ceremonial podium finish)... I guess the whole debate on how hard navigate/how much advantage/disadvantage starting early or late will have, will depend largely on how David and JP have laid out the stage; how much markings are used in relation to waypoints or roadbook/odometer readings and which will be the premier means of following the route for this short SS... also how many spectators out lining the 13 km stage... again, last years final stage (the bits we saw on TV) were reminiscent of the B1K routes in Baja norte... thousands of spectators lining the course.... you'd have to be a right Wilbur not to find your way on some of those parts - just drive down the middle of the sea of spectators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #928
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,667
A right wilbur?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #929
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408

Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #930
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,752
I recall Ned and a few others saying how challenging the last stage was last year. Finding WP's in the fog, in deep sand and being passed by the Hero's at Mach speeds...

Time will tell, quite an honor albeit an intimidating one to open the race. Bummerthey didn't do it like this last year or Bill woulda been out front for the cameras ( Bill, stoked to hear your heading back next year ).

3 more days before the race starts and the pre thread is almost F5able

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Closed Thread