Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #1096
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
Talking about heroes, there's a guy who is racing his 20th Dakar this year, isn't that incredible?
I give you guys a couple of hints:
- he rides a Yamaha
- he is Italian
FRANCO PICCO! Another hero of mine, what a guy!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #1097
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Carlos Sainz' first English tweet, behold:

Quote:
@CSainz_oficial: Try today the car,not easy stil some work, hard work for the team but all very motivated.we learn every km.the car young but good.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #1098
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Ive lost my mouse twice in the sheets already, how the hell am i going to make it through scrutineering?? . Least the F5 key is harder to lose. I think I will be running in the malle moto class of the F5ire hose this year as a result...or is it the assistance crew?
In reality, your "condition" would put you in a "factory rider, contester for the title" category... You have no work, no one to bitch that you stay on the laptop for hours, full access to local media and completely compatible time zone... Were you French we would have given you the F5 trophy already...

PS: I forgot to mention that you're doped as well...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #1099
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Carlos Sainz' first English tweet, behold:
"I speak the England very best!"
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #1100
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
In reality, your "condition" would put you in a "factory rider, contester for the title" category... You have no work, no one to bitch that you stay on the laptop for hours, full access to local media and completely compatible time zone... Were you French we would have given you the F5 trophy already...

PS: I forgot to mention that you're doped as well...

gigglesnort
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #1101
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
regulations

Ok I admit it. I'm really bored, Just to try and help my f5 game I just read the entire Bike-Quad Regulations......
Not that I understood any of it.....I did find out they have a penalty for everything, as I recall on page 63 if you use the wrong unbiodegradable toilet paper you get a 1hour penalty, ....Or was that speeding...hmmm
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #1102
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Ok I admit it. I'm really bored, Just to try and help my f5 game I just read the entire Bike-Quad Regulations......
Not that I understood any of it.....I did find out they have a penalty for everything, as I recall on page 63 if you use the wrong unbiodegradable toilet paper you get a 1hour penalty, ....Or was that speeding...hmmm
Well, not if you are French....

M Motoadventures
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #1103
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
That number 11 looks like a complete flog. When everyone else is 'casual' he suits up in full regalia.

Time and place, time and place.
For my money he's the only one that's thinking! (Except maybe if there are service crew guys riding to deliver the bike to scrutineering). I learnt a harsh lesson a couple of years ago. I was riding around in Dubai the week before the Desert Challenge. I missed a turn in the chaotic traffic and pulled up to the side of the street. I only just missed the turn so started "walking" the bike back while still sitting astride (as you do when you've only got to go back a few feet) and promptly burnt my leg on the low rally pipe just behind the footpeg. Never even think about that with a normal enduro bike because the super hot bits are up high and protected behind the frame or beside the engine where you don't really bump it. I spent the entire week of the rally with an open, festering wound that hurt like hell and needed time at the medics to get re-dressed every night. (Time is a bit valuable in the rally game and spending it in the clinic is not a recipe for success).
ATGATT. (Well, at least jeans on!)
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #1104
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
For my money he's the only one that's thinking! (Except maybe if there are service crew guys riding to deliver the bike to scrutineering). I learnt a harsh lesson a couple of years ago. I was riding around in Dubai the week before the Desert Challenge. I missed a turn in the chaotic traffic and pulled up to the side of the street. I only just missed the turn so started "walking" the bike back while still sitting astride (as you do when you've only got to go back a few feet) and promptly burnt my leg on the low rally pipe just behind the footpeg. Never even think about that with a normal enduro bike because the super hot bits are up high and protected behind the frame or beside the engine where you don't really bump it. I spent the entire week of the rally with an open, festering wound that hurt like hell and needed time at the medics to get re-dressed every night. (Time is a bit valuable in the rally game and spending it in the clinic is not a recipe for success).
ATGATT. (Well, at least jeans on!)
Been riding 30 years. Never side saddled for the exact issue you had.

If casual is good enough for JC, who has a hell of a lot riding on this race, then I'm comfortable with NATGATT.

Number 11 just seemed to be dressed up with no where to go. Like rocking up to a party in your tux when your everyone else is in thongs and shorts
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #1105
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
My prediction is 1 TSC, 2 Doyle, 3 MyWay....
Safariberg has a new computer, but it's not factory. He put it together himself, so we'll see how his machine holds out.
few pages back already.

anyway, Safariberg may not get the chance to post much at all seeing as he is team manager for 57 Ben Grabham (AUS) HSE KTM450RR. what a gig.
still hoping he does and maybe even gets a chance for a rally raidio call in.

i know i do this every year, but his run down from the 2010 fiambala dune stage from hell should be manditory listening. an awesome insight.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/ConnellOut.mp3

& while i know time is limited, the other callins from 2010 (& 2009) are worth a listen too.
http://rallyraidio.net/webpage/category/09Dakar

http://rallyraidio.net/webpage/category/10Dakar

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #1106
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post

If casual is good enough for JC, who has a hell of a lot riding on this race, then I'm comfortable with NATGATT.
Yeah, I mean, what does that idiot Faria know about racing?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #1107
WAYoungBill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I had the privilege of being there last year as a team mechanic. Can't wait to watch what I can on TV for the 2013 race. No words can describe the beauty and experiences Dakar provides participants. The people/fans are some of the best in the world.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #1108
WAYoungBill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Getting towed about 100Km after passing through Chile border headed to Copiapo. The driver straddled something in the middle of the road. Found out it was a steel chock block that pierced the tranny pan/filter and broke the valve body. We played hell trying to find Allison tranny parts in Copiapo. Luckily, they had a filter and we fixed the rest on our off day. One great Dakar story, there are so many more.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #1109
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I don't know for sure, but I do think that when you pay the required fees, there is a certain agreement made as to competitors using the number for promotional purposes. In a sense, they are temporarily renting the "rights" to that number once it is assigned. I looked through the list and only the three I mentioned remain unassigned, except for #55 which I suspect the ASO would soft retire to honor Kemal Merkit, at least for this year.
We have been a bit unclear over DNS's, but for late ones it seem like you forfeit a portion of the money so i would suggest you own the number if its been assigned, but as Will has said it is the Dakar and also the ASO

Now KTM have said they always had a reserve spot, which would imply they paid for it, if so you would expect a number allocation? Or is this just another example of making it up as you go along and the negotiations/manipulations are still ongoing
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1110
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Yeah, I mean, what does that idiot Faria know about racing?
Ok what stage is 'checkin'?
Closed Thread