User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #1111
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Oh, the joys of catching up on a few pages, well thought out Doyle, but as we said a day or so ago, were you guessing with insider knowledge and will you other predictions come true
# 29 it is the - expect to see it well up there on the SS2 start - maybe event first off, which could also be a big mistake. Just hope the KTM management hold him back, not too sure if he would wish to test his nav skills to that extent on the first real SS
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #1112
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
That number 11 looks like a complete flog. When everyone else is 'casual' he suits up in full regalia.

Time and place, time and place.
Maybe Coma is hiding under Rubens gear?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1113
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
In reality, your "condition" would put you in a "factory rider, contester for the title" category... You have no work, no one to bitch that you stay on the laptop for hours, full access to local media and completely compatible time zone... Were you French we would have given you the F5 trophy already...

PS: I forgot to mention that you're doped as well...
But can you type whilst having a bed bath
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #1114
too old
Keen supporter

Well that's me an hour woken up, second cup of tea and weekend here in sunny Dubai.

4 pages to catch up on, not bad pre event, I expect it will be 10 pages or more in a day or so, best switch to coffee
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #1115
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Nice article Doyle.The Depres pic that gets to me is his four finger zap sign.

Another unknown rookie worth a chance is Darryl Curtis's teammate Riaan van Niekerk. Multiple RSA national and enduro champ, he knows how to ride and actually did better than Darryl on the Maroc.coming 14th behind Pizzolito, Botturi and Pedrero-Garcia. Not bad for a rookie to rally! I think he may be of Cody's character and cwill be matching him up to Aussies, Grabbo and Warren Strange.

Then there is Juan Pedrero-Garcia, who no one talks about because he gets to ride as Coma's watercarrier. Now that Coma is out what do you think teams rulles will be for him? I hope he has a chance to open it up a bit,,,Or is he happy to glide through to finish after finish?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #1116
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
But can you type whilst having a bed bath
Tried that already, it does not go down well with factory support.

Are you going to be in Dubai the whole time of the rally? Does Sam come on here much? It would be great to hear some of his commentary.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #1117
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Ok, another noob ??
I was looking at the distances for the stages and links on Dakar.com and it has Assistance Distance, does that mean that they are totally on there own the rest of the k for that stage? no support or anything
Thanks
Basically the assistance distance is the distance the assistance crews have to travel each day and is different to the competitors, although there may be some overlap on most liaison sections. For the riders each day consists of liasonsections and timed special stages. Competitors can recieve support on the liaisons but not on any special stages, expect from another competitor.

On another subject:

I promise to start concatenating my posts from here on, its driving me nuts.

Mods a question for the official thread:Whats stopping it from becoming a complete circus of folks trying to get their post counts up instead of actually posting valuable comment?

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 08:11 PM
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #1118
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Tried that already, it does not go down well with factory support.

Are you going to be in Dubai the whole time of the rally? Does Sam come on here much? It would be great to hear some of his commentary.
Yep, we live here, so between that dreaded word work, will be here.

Sam has a look on occasion as do a lot of people, you'd be surprised!

I'll try and get him to contribute, but he is always concerned about what to say and what not to say publicly - a major issue for many on here
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #1119
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
assistance distance is the distance the assistance
Say that 5 times out loud.. That's the Dakar rap..
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #1120
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Mods a question for the official thread:Whats stopping it from becoming a complete circus of folks trying to get their post counts up instead of actually posting valuable comment?
I thought that was the reason behind the cliff-notes thread, the main thread is supposed to be a circus and besides I don't think advrider has any real defense protection against post hunters, after all jo momma is just down the hall.. Needless to say if the mods request a more laconic and "proper" tone I'd gladly follow suit.
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #1121
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
For my money he's the only one that's thinking! (Except maybe if there are service crew guys riding to deliver the bike to scrutineering). I learnt a harsh lesson a couple of years ago. I was riding around in Dubai the week before the Desert Challenge. I missed a turn in the chaotic traffic and pulled up to the side of the street. I only just missed the turn so started "walking" the bike back while still sitting astride (as you do when you've only got to go back a few feet) and promptly burnt my leg on the low rally pipe just behind the footpeg. Never even think about that with a normal enduro bike because the super hot bits are up high and protected behind the frame or beside the engine where you don't really bump it. I spent the entire week of the rally with an open, festering wound that hurt like hell and needed time at the medics to get re-dressed every night. (Time is a bit valuable in the rally game and spending it in the clinic is not a recipe for success).
ATGATT. (Well, at least jeans on!)
I have a little different take on all the racers who aren't wearing a jersey and pants. Isn't that what their sponsors are looking for? These riders must know that the media is out taking pictures. Don't they want to look their best so that the sponsors are well represented? I noticed last year that the big teams all wore complete outfits at the ceremonial start, while a lot of privateers wore shorts and sneakers with their riding jacket. I can undestand privateers going about under-dressed, but I expect to see people with big company sponsorship wearing livery. That advertising "image" is what sponsors are paying for, isn't it?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #1122
jfotopo
KTM 990 Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 12
There are two riders that I don’t believe we have discussed yet that have great potential for a podium this year: David Casteu (#10) and Olivier Pain (#9). David Casteu finished 2nd overall to Deprés in 2007 and has had a number of stage wins over the years. However, he had some bad luck in 2011 (riding for Sherco and hitting a spectator on the course) and again in 2012 (riding a Yamaha he was in 4th overall with only five days left in the rally until having major engine problems). I remember seriously wondering during the 2007 Dakar Rally if Casteu might beat Deprés for the title. He was that good. Now with a couple years on the Yamaha, maybe Casteu can regain some of his old magic. What do you think?

The other rider we have not discussed that also rides a Yamaha is Olivier Pain. This guy finished 9th overall in 2010 and 2012. He is clearly very skilled on a motorcycle and is aiming for a top five finish this year. He claims that last year he was not ready physically for the rally due to an injury, yet he still finished 9th. This year he was injured again earlier in the season but claims that his bike is lighter and faster and believes that he can do much better than 9th place. Any thoughts on his prospects as well?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #1123
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,275
Carlos Sainz

Try today the car,not easy stil some work, hard work for the team but all very motivated.we learn every km.the car young but good.

I say the bugly's will have a hard time making the rest day

dang I was 205ed
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 10:06 PM
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #1124
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,679
Speaking of cliffs thread, I need one for the pre Dakar. 20 pages in one day. F.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #1125
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Oh, the joys of catching up on a few pages, well thought out Doyle, but as we said a day or so ago, were you guessing with insider knowledge and will you other predictions come true
# 29 it is the - expect to see it well up there on the SS2 start - maybe event first off, which could also be a big mistake. Just hope the KTM management hold him back, not too sure if he would wish to test his nav skills to that extent on the first real SS
My pick of #29 was just an educated guess based on how I've learned the ASO works over the years. Basically the ASO's URL's are pretty generic and as you scan down the entry list, some numbers are missing like #2 (Coma), #16, (Zanol), #22 (Sam), etc... and each rider link from the list is the URL including their race number, for instance...

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/rider/003.html. If you manually change the number in the URL to one of the missing ones, then that rider still comes up. Sam's page is still there even though the link is gone from the main list.

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/rider/022.html

All I did is manually change the URL's to the missing numbers and #29 happened to be the first one with a dead link, in fact, up through the last rider #197, there were only 3 dead links, two were high numbers so I didn't think the ASO would give that and I really didn't think there was any way they'd give a rookie, any rookie, the #2 slot.

So there is my super secret "insider" knowledge on this which was nothing more than years of F5'ing a bit of understanding on the ASO's way of creating a disturbance in the F5orce.

As for my other rumors, predictions, etc... my blog and twitter feed is borne out of nothing more than an interest and hobby, but I enjoy writing and through that, I've reached out to a number of riders, teams, etc... through the years. Some never answer back but for others, I've made some good connections and we've kept in touch as they let me know some 'bombshells' now and then. I always verify what I can or can't make public, but there is some neat info that I sit on simply because, while it may be juicy data, rally is a small world. While I'm under no allusion that my little hobby blog and twitter feed has any influence, I have been surprised by who makes a comment now and then or who may be following along and I want to inform, not create any wrinkles. As of this, nearly all of the 'bombshells' I have been privvy to have come true for the most part.

It's all in good fun though. Other than this forum, I'm just hoping to help partially fill a gap in what I see as English language, up to date coverage on moto-rally.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
Closed Thread