Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
mhevezi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Time to Part Ways with my '99 M2

It's been one helluva ride.

Bought this bike BRAND NEW in April of 1999 and went through some heartburn those fist few years. This was my first new verhicle of any kind, and all things considered, it has been a GREAT bike. Not many 'tubers' left in good shape, although I seem them advertised with very low mileage. How can someone own a bike like this and not ride it???

I have put every mile of the 36k showing on the clock and have taken the bike to San Diego, twice- from the San Francisco Bay Area with zero issues. The coastal route is so worth the trip. Been to MotoGP at Laguna Seca more than a few times and just been a smile machine. Shakes like the 1906 quake at idle, but is smoother than any bike I have ridden on the highway. Loud, but not obnoxious (still sets off car alarms), powerfull, but not like an crotch rocket- torquey fun best describes it. Great for touring, great for two-up... I'm really gonna miss this one.

Got me a, do-it-all, 2008 Ulysses as a replacement, but the M2 is a going to make someone a very happy owner, for not much money. Sadly, resale value on the older Buells is thin- if you have the means for a 2nd or 3rd bike, these are great for the dough. They even make a great, primary bike. I'm just getting older and want a bike with some more, 'comforts.'

*cue sad music*

Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
Don't sell it! That is an awesome bike, I always liked those.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Don't sell it! You'll be sorry! I sold my one owner '98 S3 with 42,000 on it and for the little I got for it, I should've just kept it. Your M2 is a keeper, imo.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
kdstang
Child of the Corn

Oddometer: 124
You'll definitely regret it, I always have the biggest grins on my tuber out of all the bikes I've owned. I've thought of selling it as well, but every time I throw a leg over it, I can't bring myself to let it go.

A lot of tubers are being/have been chopped up, I don't know how many original bikes remain. Some day the market will catch up to these bikes, but by then, few originals will remain.
kdstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,573
You did pretty much what I did in '99. I bought mine when there was still people ice fishing in Michigan. I loved my bike for 11 years and sold it to pick up a 1125cr. Sold the CR a year later for a Guzzi Griso.

I have the griso, so I don't miss the M2 that much. It was a FANTASTIC bike that was really a good first new bike for me. I enjoyed every mile and sometimes wish I still had it. Now someeone else is enjoying it, but Im sure not as much as I did. I had a few minior warranty issues early on, but after that it required the least $$ per mile of any bike I have owned since. It's hard to deny that hopped up sporty sound in a bike that can actually handle.

I'd say keep it if you have the room, but I also know that there are a lot of bikes out there these days that you can enjoy in a different way. Good luck with your sale.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
mhevezi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I would love to keep it, and go through the engine, powder-coat the frame, etc, etc... the list goes on and on.

But, priorities in my life have changed, and I'm sure there is someone out there who can give that bike the care and attention she deserves. It just sits too idle in my garage, and that's a crime for a bike like that!

Parts are getting tough for those bikes, but anyone with decent mechanical abilities can work around that. The motor & transmission ar basic Sportster-spec, aside from the heads, but honestly, she has not needed much in the last 7 years. It takes a bit to 'shake down' a Buell.

I hated selling ANY of my bikes, but it's just time. Practicality wins here. Thanks for the support guys.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
KiLeR06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I really miss mine, sold it a few years ago and have regretted ever since.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
That's a beautiful bike! I have a 2010 Uly XT and it is a great bike. I love the looks of the tubers though, and would love to own one. Buying one doesn't make any sense really, but then owning a bike is not really about making sense is it?
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote