User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Jayrod1318 OP
Poster

Oddometer: 1,482
Logo licensing and merchandise

I'm looking to manufacture items with the major motorcycle brand names on them. Has anyone obtained licensees to do something similar? Or a better question is this even worth pursuing for the little guy? I really don't want a mega corp coming after me for copy right infringement ect.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Run the numbers numerous times before you invest any money. Big brand names prize their name and don't share well with others. Generally, you'll find that unless you have REALLY deep pockets and a proven distribution network, you'll be stopped before you start. Also, if you have an idea that is truly unique, they will just go and copy it and you'll be standing on the outside looking in.

Sorry to be a downer on your idea. I've coached a number of business start-ups and have seen this time and again.

On the upside. If you have a great idea for a product, why not create your own brand? It's much cheaper and easier to scale. Just look to the success of No Fear gear! That's a company that created a huge brand without having any product other than items displaying their name.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Jayrod1318 OP
Poster

Oddometer: 1,482
Your telling me what I think I already knew.

Unfortunately my products I had in mind rely on the established motorcycle brands and key in on the pride of ownership and interest in the products. ( kind of like buying and wearing a BrandX logo hat).

I have some leads I need to pursue. I know of a guy that has done some similar products with the major auto company logos and names. I know he is legit and has a bunch of licensing deals with the auto companies.(So I hear) He sells his products at the car shows ect.

I'm still researching and figuring this out, but I think if i could get past the whole copyright infringement stuff I could do a good side business here on ADV.