aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 686
Universal fairing for XR650R or similar

For the latest info on the Enduro Fairing go here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768510

********************02/05/12 ******************

I have made the decision to produce some of these universal fairings

Hopefully over the next couple weeks I will be back with something to show. After that I will move the thread to the Vendor thread. Thanks for the input from several of the ADV inmates.

Here is the deal:

I am looking at a cost to you of around $175 (excluding shipping & tax).

Included:
- $5 donated to a Keep the Trails open organization or national Adventure rider org.(your name included)
- Universal fairing
- Fiberglass cloth construction (mat is cheaper but will crack on impact)
- Superb Gel-Coat finish (perhaps with primer) ready to paint
- Bracket instructions and template (if avail for your bike)
- No lights - template for holes (OEM will work or LED is the way to go - can provide instructions/template)
- Template & instructions to make $10 Lexan healight protector (if you need it)
- Available in time - universal dash, carbon fiber fihish, colored fiberglass finish..

If anyone have a big dual-sport (350cc and up) that would like to be a tester send me a PM?
I would give that person a 25% discount and the option to return if it does not fit (within 30 days of purchase)

***********************01/21/12*******************

After watching Neduro tear it up in the Dakar and seeing all those other cool Dakar Fairings I felt inpired to build a headlight fairing for my Honda XR650R. I checked the web and found some, but they looked way dated, or was way expensive. Here is my wishlist;

1. Make it affordable
2. Simple attachment points/ bracket
3. Not interfere with turning using 6.3 Sahara tank
3. I want it to be crashable - I dont want it to completely "wrap" around the gas tank etc. and have to attach to the 6.3 Sahara tank. When I crash, I just want a couple bent aluminium brackets
4. Provide plenty wind and rock protection (from Modette's bike roost )
5. Basic intrument panel area with simple attachment points
6. Area large enough to accomodate any headlight
6.1 Add 2000 lumen total LED headlight under $100
7. .....still keep it affordable
8. Nuke the post if it turns out crap

I started working on it last weekend and mocked up what I was looking for. I then laid up some fiberglass and bondo to make up a mold. Tomorrow I am going to be laying down the real fiberglass mat and cloth so for now some mold release...waxing, polishing, waxing, polishing, laying glass...wish me luck

Ordered up:
Flood Light: M60 3600 Lumen!!!!!! LED from ADVMonster $100 (special until end of Feb enter m60sale and get $20 off)
Wireless Remote LED controllers ($20 total) - plan on mounting them. So I can dim my LED's

Decision:
Spotlight: At this time I am seriously considering using this Mountain Bike Light $32 . Still need to figure it out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-CREE-2400...item4cfdc3adfa
or the Model 30 1500 Lumen Spotlight from ADVMonster $70

aiMhi screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 06:43 AM
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Sizing up the fairing mold on the bike. Wish I can just use that but it would simply not hold up and it is pretty heavy.

Fiberlass mat and cloth laid and catching some rays. I started with tucking the smaller mat pieces into/over all the corners and then over the entire mold. Switched to the cloth after about 2 layers. Love working with the cloth, added between another 2-3 layers. Wish I had some carbon fiber to finish off the last layer.

Peeled off the fairing after about 45 minutes. Happiness when the part and mold seperated just fine
The dark parts are some of the dark paint I sprayed on the mold that came off. Will need to clear that all out.

Trying out the piece on the bike. Loads of work left here to trim the edges, sand and finish. I want to make the fairing connect to the OEM hookups on the bottom, Looks like it will work. Dreaming of all the cool places I am going to go exlore this summer.

Finished sanding the Fiberglass and some paint. Not final however. Will mount etc. and then repaint.

Tonight I worked on a mini project. Lexan Headlight Shield to cover the area where the LED lights will go. I am uploading the receipt too because it is now even easier to get photo's up to Photobucket using their Android App and then I dont have to cover it all. Basically an alumimum tube (for making spacers), Acorn Nuts and other misc for mounting the Lexan Shield.

I made a template using the fairing and then cut out the Lexan (8 x10 piece $3.98) with my rotary tool. Easy peasy.

Sanded the edges with some 100 grit and finished with 200 grit, then polished with some car polish (buff until warm).

Purchased at Lowes

I finished my Lexan Headlight shield and did a mock-up of the LED lights. Hopefully tomorrow some brackets and test this thing on the road. I like the look of the acorn nuts on the lens. Rather than cut up the aluminium tube and use for spacers between the lens and the fairing I just picked up some 1/4" plastic spacers and tagged them with red plastic paint.

Road Test Day - Finally!!

Brackets: I made up some basic aluminium brackets with a screw/nut that fits perfectly into the rubber grommets of the OEM lower fairing connections. I could also have just used the bottom fork bolts and attached some brackets there. For the top two brackets I was planning to use some 2" wide aluminium that I picked up from Lowe's, but hell I just could not find it in my garage - dont you hate it when that happens? I settled for using some 1 1/2" flat steel and made the brackets out of it. Took a bit of doing to bend and get the angles right but they fit perfectly and hold strong. The fairing does not interfere with the front brake line or anything else.

Top Brackets

Then I took her out for a spin. Wow!! what a difference it makes. Took it up to 50mph, pulled over and checked that all the bolts/nuts are nice and tight. I then took it down the road and opened her up to see if the fairing will flex and stability at speed, nothing at 45, nothing at 55, nothing at 65, nothing at 75, nothing at 85 and I kept going up to 89mph (see my GPS readout heehaw). No wind pressure on my chest, zetro zilch! Zero stability issues or side-to-side movement. I ride with a dirt helmet and this thing just sliced through the air with the lip at the top deflecting the wind right over the top of my helmet, creating a nice vacuum. I could still see perfectly over the top and it is not in the way when standing since it is mounted just forward enought to not be in the way.

Next step is to make up an instrument panel and trim up the top of the fairing to be the same as the other side.

Ok, this is not really post worthy but it is what I worked on/ thought about. Coming up with a simple dash that fits and provides some depth took some thought. It also needs to provide room for the front brake line to move up and down (when the front brakes are applied). It will attach at the bottom to the handlebar clamp and at the top to the fairing with quick removal wingnuts of some sorts. Now where is that aluminium that I cannot find in my garage............

At any rate a simple design. I need to pickup some resin since I dont have any left and at some point fiberglass it.
I noticed more engine noise being deflected up when I did my test ride, the dash should hush it up.

I also got one of the LED lights in that I am going to use for my headlight. The one that came in was the Advmonster Model 60 Floodlight with 3600 Lumens. Holy crap it is bright . I tested it at 6V on a AC - DC plug and it provides PLENTY light. Sorry I could not get a foto of it. One of these on a car is adequate, really. Glad I ordered the $10 LED dimmers from Ebay for each light.

I will need to figure out how to mount the key fobs that come with the LED dimmes, any ideas let me know

aiMhi screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 06:01 PM
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,888

Cool! Keep us updated.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I'll be watching this. I am thinking of attempting the same thing.

Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
How does it attach to the bike?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Scott1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197

Scott1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
How does it attach to the bike?
I am not close to attaching it yet but the plan is;

For the bottom I fiberglassed back at 90 degress towards the OEM fairing mount point. On the "lip" I will most likely use two stainless thread pieces (that would fit in the rubber grommet) and then place a nut and washer on both sides. The 90 degree angle will be strengthened with a single fiberglass mini "truss".

At the top just two simple aluminum brackets that come off the top fork bridge bolts. Maybe with some quick release pins.

Something along those lines...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,031
Looks good. You thinking of making several to sell/share?
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBRP View Post
6.1 Add 2000 lumen total LED headlight under $100

here's the lights i'm going to use

Here's the start of the rally bracket I'm designing. Wanna trade? I used to work with fiberglass, but I don't have my shop anymore, and it's lost it's novelty.

Here's the rallye bracket thread
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
Is it going to attach to the forks then? Not the frame and have the weight supported by the steering head?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,332
Looks good so far
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
Looks good. You thinking of making several to sell/share?
Cordless - At this point it is kinda hobby'ish. Once I get the prototype finished I would be able to tell if it would be worth doing that. It needs to be field tested for aerodynamics at speed, structural integrity etc. But if I do I will let you know first .

aiMhi screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 07:39 AM
Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Is it going to attach to the forks then? Not the frame and have the weight supported by the steering head?
Blakebird - Yes, it will attach to the forks since I want to prevent potential damage to it being mounted to the frame. Additionally by attaching it to the frame it opens up a whole other bunch of design challenges. The weight will not be an issue. I still need to weight it but it is close, if not lighter that the OEM fairing.

The biggest concern is how my Stealth design will perform at speed (60mph plus) since we are dealing with a larger surface area that could become an air dam. I can tell you that a bit more thought went into it than what I am posting here... it should be directionally stable....field testing will prove me wrong or right. I am trying to keep the design as simple and field removable as possible.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
here's the lights i'm going to use

Here's the start of the rally bracket I'm designing. Wanna trade? I used to work with fiberglass, but I don't have my shop anymore, and it's lost it's novelty.?

Beechum1 - I am not at the rally bracket stage yet but will keep your offer in mind. What you have designed looks superb and I like that thread link you provided.

aiMhi screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 02:54 PM
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,823
How COOL,

When are you making one for the XR650L

Marc