ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
cccolin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
new again to upstate SC, day rides?

Hey guys,

just moved back to upstate SC after 14 years away. Didn't ride motos when I was here before, and I dont remember the area that well. Looking for some good day trips. I've done several rides up the Blue Ridge, Cherohala, Dragon, etc, which is all great. Several trips down to Athens...nice ride but mostly just a straight shot. Yesterday, I rode from Anderson almost to Augusta, and then across to Athens and back up. It was alright. low traffic, gorgeous day, but not much to look at, just long straight roads with barely a curve in sight the entire ride. and lots of poultry farm smell. All in all, a good day, but I'm hoping for something a bit more scenic and hopefully not so straight. Any suggestions much appreciated!
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Your'e heading in the wrong direction! Go northwest for the twisties. Looking for street only or dualsport?

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
cccolin OP
Beastly Adventurer

yeah, I know. I just wanted to head south because the last few times I went north it was nice and sunny down here and grey, cold, and/or rainy up there. Street only at the moment, hopefully i'll get a DS this year.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Where are you riding out of? I rode out of Greenville and Greer frequently so know the area pretty well.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
cccolin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anderson
Old 01-23-2015, 01:10 AM   #6
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
You should go west and try North GA. 197, 348, 180, 60 and 129 gives you a good taste.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
cccolin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
You should go west and try North GA. 197, 348, 180, 60 and 129 gives you a good taste.

thanks!!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Thisnobody
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Upstate SC Day Rides

I live between Greenville and Spartanburg. I like going out Hwy 14 or Hwy 101 to NC. From there Hwy 108 is fun. To make a day of it I'll take Hwy 176 to Saluda [or Hogback Mnt. rd (for the dual-sport)]. In Saluda get onto Ozone dr. to go to Holbert Cove rd. Follow that to Green River Cove rd. (this rd is extremely "twisty" and a blast). I follow that to Silver Creek rd. then on to Hwy9 to get back to Spartanburg. That is probably one of my favorite rides.
Map it out, but carry a GPS just in case
Thisnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
cccolin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisnobody View Post
I live between Greenville and Spartanburg. I like going out Hwy 14 or Hwy 101 to NC. From there Hwy 108 is fun. To make a day of it I'll take Hwy 176 to Saluda [or Hogback Mnt. rd (for the dual-sport)]. In Saluda get onto Ozone dr. to go to Holbert Cove rd. Follow that to Green River Cove rd. (this rd is extremely "twisty" and a blast). I follow that to Silver Creek rd. then on to Hwy9 to get back to Spartanburg. That is probably one of my favorite rides.

awesome, thanks, i'll do that soon
Old 03-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
JiminSC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Upstate and NC

From where you are Great roads due north and Northeast.
Here is one you can map out on Google:
76 to Clemson then 123 west to 28 go through Walhalla to Highlands, NC then 64 east to 107 North then it runs into 215. Take that south to Lake Toxaway then 64 west to 281 south. Follow that until it becomes 130 in South Carolina and when you pass Bad Creek take a right on State Road 37-413 (can’t remember the name) that connects back to 107 and head south. 107 takes you back to 28 and back through Walhalla then Seneca and Clemson towards home.
And remember, you're only lost if you run out of gas.
JiminSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #11
JiminSC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Upstate and NC

Another: 133 north out of Clemson to Highway 11. Take Hwy 11 east to 178 then head north to Rosman. Take 64 west to 215 north and head to the BRP. Take BRP east to 276 and then take that south through Brevard and back down to Highway 11 in SC. Take that west back to 133 and back home. Rinse and Repeat!
JiminSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #12
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,484
CCColin,I agree with Jim.Head west from Anderson toward the NW corner of GA.I don't get to ride the area much,but most of those roads are smooth flowing and light on traffic.Very few cops around if you accidentally break the speed limit, because some of those hills are kind of steep you know.wink wink.I usually ride up to Cashiers,NC and come back down through N.GA before turning east for home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisnobody View Post
Those roads around Saluda are rougher than heck.I travel those roads alot.176 is ok going up but going down from Saluda to Tryon is rough.The straight section out of Tryon is lumpy like hwy slab.All still fun roads tho.
Manic Cycles=My Blog
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote