Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #31
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
Bubble wrap will help against chips and dings but unless the exterior sealed against drips and liquid spills .........

Seal the exterior against liquids and Then against dings.
When I did it years ago, I wrapped the entire top (painted bit) of the tank in painters masking tape, then wrapped it in duct tape. That covers the liquids the chips and the dings. Painters masking tape releases easily so there's no threat of damage to the paint by pulling off the duct tape.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
question for the Por15 users - I have the kit sitting at home waiting for me to use it:) my question is - where did you guys pour the waste fluids? down a sink drain? into your yard?

thanks!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Really, you only have two or three choices:

If you have a recycle center you can take it there,
else
try to burn it into oblivion or ..
just dump it out of site.

Do not dump it down a sewage system or septic tank.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #34
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

10-4, thanks! I'll capture the fluids and take to waste disposal:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #35
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
I pour on my private gravel road, let dry,pick up dried rocks & paint and place in trash can. This method is approved by the EPA ,Sierra Club & Obama!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #36
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat View Post
Will be trying out my first POR treatment.

My concern is the protection of the tank's paint and pinstripes. Is it sufficient if I bubble wrap these areas?

Cheers
You are missing the point. Keep the stuff off the exterior by keeping it inside the tank! Where you sit it & how you handle it is about the exterior. Just seal up the in & out holes to keep it off the paint job.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #37
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I pour on my private gravel road, let dry,pick up dried rocks & paint and place in trash can. This method is approved by the EPA ,Sierra Club & Obama!
Hey, I've got about 15 gallons of motor oil, gear oil & anti-freeze blended up, what's your address?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
dmasters458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Caswell

I have had great luck with caswell.
dmasters458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #39
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Hey, I've got about 15 gallons of motor oil, gear oil & anti-freeze blended up, what's your address?
I actually used to pour old oil on my road years ago-the county did it all over the USA until it was learned to be an environmental no-no. Old AF goes to AP store.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #40
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I actually used to pour old oil on my road years ago-the county did it all over the USA until it was learned to be an environmental no-no. Old AF goes to AP store.

I once heard about an old guy who used to pour used motor oil inside the doors of his car. This was in an area that salted the roads in winter, and he claimed it kept the bottoms of his doors from rusting out!

OT, regarding what tank liner is best; it seems that POR15 is considered the best, and I'll probably use it next time I do a tank, but I want to point out that in spite of what so many say, Kreem works well when applied properly.
I have four tanks lined with Kreem, the most recent one was done in 1996, the first was done in 1984, and all of them are holding out well.
The tank on my R69S has been filled with 10% ethanol fuel for at least 5 years now, and the liner is showing no sign of deteriorating yet. That's the one I did in 1996.
I had each tank chemically stripped before I used the liner, and I have no reason to complain about the job it's done all these years.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #41
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I have seen Kreem linings fail on tanks I didn't clean and what I had to clean out was not a material that seemed to have the toughness of POR-15.
On that other notion of oil in rockers-lots of old timers used to do it. A better way is to treat a newer rocker with the waxy goop you spray inside.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #42
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

quasi urgent follow up...

I started the por 15 treatment today, but have a question - the can of stripper did not strip everything out. How clean does the inside need to be before moving on? Should i go get some more paint stripper and keep sloshing it around till i have bare metal inside?

thanks!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

ok, since no one has chimed in, i'll relate my weekend activities and "solution"...;)

After my previous message, I tried 2 additional different types of stripper in an effort to remove the original liner, but to no effect. the liner that is still in there is STUBBORN. So i chatted with my gurus and decided to wait to today to call POR15 and get some real advice... So that's what I just did.

I called them up and described that the stripper had not removed all the liner, and that i had tried other strippers, but the liner is pretty stubborn. the guy said I COULD proceed with the rest of the steps with original liner in, but that i SHOULD have bare metal inside the tank. I guess there is really no way of knowing if the POR15 liner will bond correctly if there is old liner present, he said it could be 1 year, it could be decades before delamination might occur. A bit of CYA on their part, but a legitimate concern. However! without me even asking for it, he offered to send me some more POR15 stripper for FREE for me to give it another try. He also told me to leave the liner in longer and to put some chain or something in the tank (familiar advice). He suggested leaving the stripper in for a few hours on the stubborn spots.

All good information, and great service giving me more product. However, a bit irritating because the instructions on the kit make NO mention of putting a chain or nuts or anything in the tank and are very specific about not leaving the stripper in for longer than 1 hour. If the instructions had been a be more thorough, I would have done it this newly suggested way from the start.

Anyway, I'll get the additional stripper probably next week. good thing I'm not in a hurry;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #44
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

any idea what kind of liner you're trying to remove?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #45
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

it's the original "red lead" liner installed in the old BMW tanks - tough stuff apparently!
www.blindfishz.com