Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #46
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 323
I relined my /6 big tank with POR-15 about three years ago. Perfect so far. The PO had Kreemed the tank so there was a combo of old red liner and gloppy Kreem. I bought a gallon of heavy duty paint stripper at Ace Hardware. Dumped half in, added about two cups of roofing nails, sealed the fuel cap and petcock drains with rubber from an old inner tube and tight zip ties, and shook the thing like a 58 year old working out at the gym with a bunch of college girls. Let it sit for a couple hours. Repeat. Two more hours. Repeat. Then sit overnite and shake again. Then dump the stripper out the petcock holes. Then dump the remaining two quarts of fresh stripper in and repeat the above. After about 48 hours I had a nice clean interior. Dump as many nails as you can, then use your extension magnet to get the remaining ones.

Then put it through the regular POR-15 procedure.

The key to this whole process is a Catholic upbringing. The more you suffer in life, the more likely it is you hit the Heaven payday. Start to finish my bike was off the road for a full week to get this done, but glad I did it. You can take a little peak at every gas fill and smile with self-satisfaction (not too much though, or you'll void your Heaven warranty).
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #47
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,308
In the mid-'90's I let gasoline evaporate unused in my tank and trashed the liner. I flushed it out and put up with flakes and stuff clogging carbs til I decided to reline the tank in the early 2000's with KREEM. I did a good tank prep and it's held up well, but I've always been cautious to avoid ethanol-laced gasoline. I've toyed with the idea of doing a pre-emptive removal of the KREEM and relining it with POR before I repaint the tank. This way I won't need to worry about using gasohol and trashing the tank liner.

Good to find that the paint stripper works on removing the KREEM. I was considering using MEK (which will dissolve the KREEM), and I suspect that the paint stripper has MEK as a major active ingredient.

Benthic, my takes is that if you have a few spot sof the factory red-primer liner still adhering, I wouldn't sweat it. If it's still there after all you've done, it is permanent enough.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #48
tlux OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I ended up not relining my tank. I took it to my friend at the motorcycle shop and he felt it was worth not messing with since I am not having any issues with it. It looks good inside with only 1 little section lifting and exposing clean metal. Since I posted this I have been striping, sanding and repainting the body work from my R90/6. I would like to show y'all some pics of the process. Should I post them here or should I start a new thread since I am changing the subject?
tlux is offline   Reply With Quote