ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
jonzzer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
licensing a Dirt Bike In Oregon

Have any of you guys tried to License your dirtbike to a street legal bike? do you know what the requirements are, Besides needing a baja kit. Anything for emissions or noise?? Thanks
jonzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,036
Officially it can't be done at all. See the DMV website. In practice they allow it when the bike was originally registered years ago (back when conversions were allowed), or was brought in from another state already registered, or is so old that they can't tell from the VIN that it's a dirt bike.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,305
It's much harder then it used to be................in the 80's the saying was "you can plate a picnic table in Oregon" .................and looking back at the bikes that I had plated, I think you could

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Officially it can't be done at all. See the DMV website. In practice they allow it when the bike was originally registered years ago (back when conversions were allowed), or was brought in from another state already registered, or is so old that they can't tell from the VIN that it's a dirt bike.

Luke is correct I plated my old Beta just a couple of years ago, but it's an 85.

I know you can get away with it at "certain" DMV locations, but it's a crap shoot.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,800
Hmmm,,looking more closely at the title for my '96 Beta Alp, there is a plate number printed on the title,(though,no plate on the bike),,,I wonder,,,, when I take the title to dmv for a transfer,,I'll ask about the plate number, and if I can get one for the bike.
If so,,the selling price just went up!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
If it has a plate number on the title (that starts with an M if titled in Oregon) you get a plate, no questions asked.

There, you just learned from my 15+ trips to the Oregon DMV in the last 4 years, and it didn't cost you a dime.

Guessing by the OP's other posts, he is looking at a 85 XR500 that has been made 'street legal' at some point. Probably not a good idea unless it already has a street title. It's still early in the season; plenty of properly titled dual sports to be found at that price range.

\/ Please note, I have heard from more than one person that there were letters\digits under PLATE on old Oregon titles (that did not start with M) and they were unable to obtain plates... Something about the DMV sticking something in the plate field for dirt bikes at one time. It's not a hard-and-fast-rule.

WB-PDX screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 08:42 PM
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,343
You should be good to go Peterman, my'99 605 ATK was the same way and I got a new plate for it when I registered it.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX View Post
If it has a plate number on the title (that starts with an M if titled in Oregon) you get a plate, no questions asked.

\/ Please note, I have heard from more than one person that there were letters\digits under PLATE on old Oregon titles (that did not start with M) and they were unable to obtain plates... Something about the DMV sticking something in the plate field for dirt bikes at one time. It's not a hard-and-fast-rule.
On the original title for the Beta the plate number started with a "N", Oregon MC plates never started with an "N" but I still got a plate with no questions asked................but like I said, ya gotta choose the "right" DVM

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,800
Yes,, the very letter behind M,,
mine starts with N as well.
I'll see what happens,,need to go do the title transfer anyway, I don't like letting paperwork stagnate, although this one is long overdue, I was more concerned with making it run 2 stroke like my friggen chainsaw, than following up on the paper.
I got a customer coming tomorrow to pick stuff up,,I'll maybe go to the DMV after that,,my naybor up the street works there,,,with luck,,she'll draw my number when it is my turn, turn, turn, to every season,,turn, turn, turn,,and a lime for every Margarita, on the table!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
Hmmm,,looking more closely at the title for my '96 Beta Alp, there is a plate number printed on the title,(though,no plate on the bike),,,I wonder,,,, when I take the title to dmv for a transfer,,I'll ask about the plate number, and if I can get one for the bike.
If so,,the selling price just went up!
My '99 has the plate # on the title and a plate on the bike and a registration. It also does not say it is a 2 stroke (IIRC WA state does state that?). You should have no problem. My plate # starts with "M"
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
I got a customer coming tomorrow to pick stuff up,,I'll maybe go to the DMV after that,,my naybor up the street works there,,,with luck,,she'll draw my number when it is my turn, turn, turn, to every season,,turn, turn, turn,,and a lime for every Margarita, on the table!
Don't forget to take your meds first.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX View Post
Guessing by the OP's other posts, he is looking at a 85 XR500 that has been made 'street legal' at some point. Probably not a good idea unless it already has a street title.
1985 is old enough that is should be grandfathered in. Should have no problem getting plate. Ask ken just how easy it is
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzzer View Post
Have any of you guys tried to License your dirtbike to a street legal bike? do you know what the requirements are, Besides needing a baja kit. Anything for emissions or noise?? Thanks
Just chiming in as I just plated my Beta 450RR. It was sold to the prior owner in WA. When I handed all of the paperwork to the DMV clerk, she asked if the bike has been converted to street use. It was obviously throwing a "dirt bike" warning at her. I said yep, (minimal street conversion at best includes a horn and a dot head light, but the rear end has an led tail light brake light and turn signals that I can't get to work) , she said ok and handed me plates. I think European bikes may be a bit easier because the titles are never stamped "off road use only" like the Japanese brands. Just my experience, but that may differ from yours...

Good luck!

Jason
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
1985 is old enough that is should be grandfathered in. Should have no problem getting plate. Ask ken just how easy it is
I know there is a lot of collective experience on here, but every time this topic comes up, the OP doesn't provide enough details to really advise either way. We'd need to not only know what the title looks like, the details for the bike, but also what records the DMV has for the bike. Just because it is an 1985 doesn't mean he is okay; if it was titled as an off-road bike in 2009 (even if he doesn't have the title,) it is still going to be in the system, and he would be out of luck.

I think the smart advice for anyone is on the side of caution, especially when the poster don't yet own the bike.

If he already had the bike, and knew it's history, and wanted to try getting it plated, that's a totally different topic.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
There are two issues:
1) Convincing a DMV office that you should be given a plate;

2) hanging onto it when the paperwork hits Salem. If DMV HQ doesn't think you should have a plate, you'll get a letter telling you to turn it in.

I'll follow up with actual facts when I hear back from an ODOT friend of mine.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Reply from ODOT:

If over 20 years old bike is not required to meet emission so it can (theoretically) be plated. So anything built before '92 can be done; anything since '92 has to meet emissions. Whether it had a plate, in OR or another state, is irrelevant.

ODOT website for a fact sheet on the topic: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/M...motorcycle.pdf

dwoodward screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 03:49 PM
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote