ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Reply from ODOT:

If over 20 years old bike is not required to meet emission so it can (theoretically) be plated. So anything built before '92 can be done; anything since '92 has to meet emissions. Whether it had a plate, in OR or another state, is irrelevant.

ODOT website for a fact sheet on the topic: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/Motorcycle/Convertoffroadmotorcycle.pdf
Ask your ODOT friend what happens if the OP walks in with a title stamped in red letters "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" in the center of it, even if it is an 1985.

Or, if the DMV clerk checks the VIN and sees the note\flag in the system that it is "OFF ROAD USE ONLY."

Also, is that 20-year-rule rolling?

Your PDF link is broken, but that specific page addresses getting a MANUFACTURER to certify that a bike meets federal emissions standards; people have had very limited success with this.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX View Post
Ask your ODOT friend what happens if the OP walks in with a title stamped in red letters "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" in the center of it, even if it is an 1985.

Or, if the DMV clerk checks the VIN and sees the note\flag in the system that it is "OFF ROAD USE ONLY."
The question I asked was, specifically, converting dirt bikes to street use. I'm pretty sure the 20 year rule is a rolling 20 years, and has been for some time.

Quote:
Your PDF link is broken, but that specific page addresses getting a MANUFACTURER to certify that a bike meets federal emissions standards; people have had very limited success with this.
Fixed, and yes, that's always been the case- the manufacturer has to certify it, (I think that you can theoretically pay for independent certified testing, but that's an option for the independently wealthy.) Yes, that's always been nearly impossible. But that's the rules. It's actually a bit relaxed from years past, where it had to be proven street legal at time of manufacture.

Whether someone gets lucky and gets away with it from time to time is something else... but just because they hand you a plate doesn't mean you won't get a letter asking for it back.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The question I asked was, specifically, converting dirt bikes to street use. I'm pretty sure the 20 year rule is a rolling 20 years, and has been for some time.
Interesting... This opens up a whole new world of possibilities I guess. I still would wonder about the more recently transferred titles that are stamped "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" however.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,908
went to DMV this morning for the title transfer.
Man said I needed an odometer reading to get it plated.
The N number is their "in house" labeling for machines that are non highway use. When he entered that number, it came up on his computer as an offroad vehicle,,He called Salem,said,'it has 2 wheels',, they said, "Bike needs Odo readings, as well as lights, horn, and all the rest, to get a plate."
My Beta no longer has its speedo, but if it did,, there might be a chance at plating it. YMMV

seventy-seven bucks for a frikken title transfer?!!
Ouch!

peterman screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 06:51 PM
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
The N number is their "in house" labeling for machines that are non highway use. When he entered that number, it came up on his computer as an offroad vehicle,,He called Salem,said,'it has 2 wheels',, they said, "Bike needs Odo readings, as well as lights, horn, and all the rest, to get a plate."
My Beta no longer has its speedo, but if it did,, there might be a chance at plating it. YMMV

Ouch!
Good info P-Man. Did you bring the bike with you?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,807
Quote:
Ouch!
$144 to title/register/plate/VIN inspect the T800XC.

People wonder why I still drive the same old POS car. Can't afford to buy a new one...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
jonzzer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
LOL yeah im driving the same old pos myself, just gas its eating a good chunk of my $$. Thank you guys a lot i'm looking for something to be my first bike, And dont wanna run into dmv problems. Been there and dont wanna deal with that again. Im still looking for a dual sport, just cant decide on what cc's to get.
jonzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #23
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:

Ouch!
Tell them the ODO is broken. There is a spot on the title for that.
You can put an Enduro computer on it - that has an ODO.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #24
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Tell them the ODO is broken. There is a spot on the title for that.
You can put an Enduro computer on it - that has an ODO.
That's odd. I seem to remember being told by the DMV gal that odo reading for motorcycles over X years old did not matter, weren't recorded--this when I brought in a '98 street legal from AZ about 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure my title has no odo value in the box. (Though I can't be fully certain on this ... but no matter, my vague memory and speculation is hereby become fact as it's on the Interwebs.)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
That's odd. I seem to remember being told by the DMV gal that odo reading for motorcycles over X years old did not matter, weren't recorded--this when I brought in a '98 street legal from AZ about 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure my title has no odo value in the box. (Though I can't be fully certain on this ... but no matter, my vague memory and speculation is hereby become fact as it's on the Interwebs.)
The title always has a spot for the ODO, but you are correct, if it is over X years (It's something relatively low like 10?) it doesn't need a disclosure.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
flipswitch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I moved from California with a plated 96 XR400 and a plated 87 XR250. Do you think I will have an issue getting an Oregon plate?
flipswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #27
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipswitch View Post
I moved from California with a plated 96 XR400 and a plated 87 XR250. Do you think I will have an issue getting an Oregon plate?
Nope. Plated bikes from other states seem to (almost) never be an issue. You will need a VIN inspection, so you will want to make sure the bikes look a little bit like street bikes when you take them to the DMV.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,658
I know this is an old thread, but anybody have any updated title experience?

Buddy is thinking about picking up a used 05 KTM EXC that has a plate, but the tags are expired (by 1 year). You think just doing a title transfer and renew registration will allow him to keep the plate? That year is not street legal from the factory, but the original owner got it done somehow. Currently doesn't have all the street legal equip (Turn signals, mirror and horn missing).

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #29
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I know this is an old thread, but anybody have any updated title experience?

Buddy is thinking about picking up a used 05 KTM EXC that has a plate, but the tags are expired (by 1 year). You think just doing a title transfer and renew registration will allow him to keep the plate? That year is not street legal from the factory, but the original owner got it done somehow. Currently doesn't have all the street legal equip (Turn signals, mirror and horn missing).
I have found that if it has a plate they do not question it further.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #30
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 306
I bought a bike plated in WA and walked out of the Oregon DMV with a plate. No problems until I got a letter yesterday saying bring the plate back for a refund. Have to call them next week and see if I have any options. Never had a problem before bringing plated bikes to Oregon so they may have changed something.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote