User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,675
Craic'd Kosciousko

What to do? 3rd weekend of the month. Andrew2 has been asking questions about tracks & roads in ‘my’ part of the Snowy’s. Classic bike club long ride is on the same weekend that he’s coming up, giving a visitor a quick squiz around the place. I want to be in two places, so the logical thing is to combine them.

I love it when a plan comes together.

I succeeded in 'organising' the Classic club ride on Sunday morning. Cabramurra for lunch. I’d just not ride home the same day. Good strop of 4 or 500 kays along some winding road and enjoyable company for anyone that felt so inclined.

At the appointed time, Alan (Matchless 500), Les (Norton 500), Bill (Triumph Bonnie SE), Laura (Kawasaki W800), Mick & Liz (Yamaha XJ900) and I headed out for morning tea at Tumbarumba. Long way to ride without a stop for some in the club (yes, I’m taking the piss). It turned out that Tania (BMW K75) and Mick (BMW R1150S) were running a touch late, had seen Laura and got out in front of us, whilst Laura thought they were behind. So the missus and I waited for no one, unnecessarily adding to Telstra’s bottom line.

Mick, Liz, Les, Bill & Alan. They must all be dentists, hiding their faces.

Typically long break at ‘Three Bears’ cafe Alan was missing. I hadn’t learnt that he was only out for a short time. Probably had some members of the local council to upset.

Tania and Laura reckoned on it being too cold, so they held hands and rode home. I pestered my missus for years to learn to ride. Now she has, she's deciding when and where she's going to ride. A new bike helps.

Next up, the winding Elliott’s Way to Cabramurra. I made it my duty to confirm, enroute, that whilst an outfit may not be fast, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be slow!

About an hour later, more coffee and food at the only shop in Cabramurra.

What do they do there? It's only real purpose seems to be a village for the a very small number of Snowy Hydro staff. It's always well maintained but it's always empty. It doesn't even appear that the National Parks people have any presence.

Whilst Mick and Bill,

Mick

and Liz (who asked for soft focus - this is what the camera decided was soft while I just reckon it's out of)

sat enjoying the sunlight and the warmth (it was at least 5 degrees warmer than at Tumba-bloody-rumba), Les tinkered.
As Les does.

For all you Brit bike cynics - yes, it was a lost bolt.
And some oil spilt on the exhaust. Bloody old bus goes though

For me, I only had another 20 kays for the day. Get me to 3 Mile Dam and I can set up a tent. Everyone else needed to keep going. Another 250km or so via Kiandra, Talbingo & Tumut. Then the boring bit we all hate - the highway - home to Wagga.

I sat on the ground waiting for Uncle Gra' , Andrew 2 and 'the Irish tourist'.

We were going to raise a bit of dust.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

It was bloody pleasant sitting around in the sunshine. Except for the breeze gradually building.

Uncle Gra' showed up around 3 and got himself organised. I whiled away the time with the digimatic in hand, taking a series of poor snap shots of nothing much at all. Note to self: get a new lens for the SLR.. And take the proper tripod.

I tried to get some interesting contrasts from this dead tree.

Being a point and shoot, it's not terribly successful.

nope.

maybe better composition, but still doesn't do it.

there may be something here?

what about if I zoom in on some detail?

add some other interest?

It all occupied some time.
And some video.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

So, the whole point of this ride, and the recce I'd done a couple of weeks ago, finally materialised.

Stephen. The Irish Tourist. 'rsmcgoo' on AdvRider.

Did someone make a movie about him?

Did someone say he looks, if not sounds, like Sean Connery?

It transpires that Stephen had exported his daughter and son-in-law (maybe 'transported'?) a few years back, he'd come over with the family for a visit and, via AdvRider, had just hooked up with Andrew2 for a couple of days.

He and A2 hadn't met until 10am that same morning.

Big trust putting yourself into the hands of a complete stranger, who rides a bloody sidecar and wants to take you out into the bush!

This'd be A2. Silly bloody features in the computrickery can lead one astray. I actually was wondering if the light on his forehead would sparkle

Despite Australia being fairly reasonably regarded as warmer than Ireland, the Irishman was so bloody cold that he'd made a vest from a plastic garbage bag. Just to try and keep warm.

Autumn.

Once the tent / swag is up, next order of business has to be food & beer.

Stephen was giving us a bit of a rundown of a few of the things he gets up to, back home.
We were giving him the drum on stuff that we get up to. Being polite and all that. Kidd gloves of unfamiliarity.

He was telling us he has some friends whom hire him as a driver, go to man for holidays. Sounds like a very good gig.

Anyway, he’s telling us about them and say’s “they enjoy the crack”.

We three remain silent. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Stephen was oblivious and continued with the story.

A few moments pass. I think it was A2 that sought some clarification of what we’d each, separately, thought was maybe less than legal.

“No, no, no (Yes?). The ‘craic’. You know a good time.”

We continued to enjoy sharing the craic for the next day and a half.

Isn't English a wonderful languages.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,197
The funny part was when we were at "The Big Hole" near Braidwood Stephen said to me " I'm really enjoying this and am happy you organised it as we're having fun and "enjoying each others craic" ( pronounced crack ).Huh......Stephen...mate,never,ever say that in front of anyone else.I know what you mean but others may not.

Cheers
A2

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

That's worse/funnier than the first effort.

I've run out of time to get this finished sooner rather than later. Trying to edit the videos so it all comes together. Working for the next 3 days, so that will slow me down.

Just a thought, 'enjoying each other's crack', how's that last photo at Geehi?

Maybe I should put a rider on all this - what goes on tour, stays on tour!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
rsmcgoo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Sidecars and Saucepann - DR Casper's Snowy Trip in the Tub

On Sunday morning Gareth and Emma left me down to the 'Gong', where I met Andrew2 in the flesh for the first time and we got on well from the getgo.
We loaded the GS1100 with hand-built sidecar, with my roll-bag, camera gear and my trusty Swag, which made Andrew an instant backrest.
Off we go (OWG) to say bye to Andrew's son Braydon who was at the Skatepark. Shakes and Byes. OWG onto the Illawarra Hwy and I'm hoping...yes it is..... the road up the super-snakey MacQuarrie Pass! So we are straight into it! The big parallel-twin certainly pulls out of the hairpins even with the added weight. Past the Robertson Pie Shop, where in 2009 Charlie and I escaped the torrential downpour that turned the Pass into a river! Today the weather is very cool but thankfully dry, all the same we pull in at Moss Vale to pull on waterproofs to keep the cold wind out. OWG thro Sutton Forest (without the forest) onto the Hume Hwy to Gouldburn turning off left thro Inverlochy and Lake Bathurst to Tarago turning left, in sunshine, at The Loaded Dog Hotel (named after the canine who brought the thrown stick of fizzing dynamite back to his owner!). Thro Bungendore, skirting Canberra to Queanbeyan, long run S thro Michelago and Bredbo, getting very cold now as we ascend the Monaro Hwy and my kidneys need insulation, stop at Cooma to refuel, then turn NW to Adaminaby where we stop for a little more fuel. I go into the petrol-station to find they also sell fleeces! I could have kissed the attendant, even tho he had a beard and no teeth! New fleece attached, I'm sorted, as we get supplies and head NW in ghostly white Gum, where the whole mountain burnt in 03, now a tree graveyard altho it's regenerating. Past Lake Eucumbene, stopping at the rebuilt Sawyer's Hill Hut, as half a dozen classic Valliants rumble past on their rally. Quick stop at the old Chinese Goldfields, then past the disused Kiandra Courthouse, turning onto Link Rd, before finding our stop for the night at 3-Mile Dam, where the wind is now freezing. We meet Ray on his Triumph Tiger Trek 3-wheel outfit and Graham on his 625 KTM Trailbike. The guys pitch their tents and I roll out Old Swaggie, my home for 3 nights. I round up some firewood and Andrew uses his tried and trusted method of syphoning petrol from the BM and THAT gets the fire going!
CuppaSoup does for dinner and we are well away from civilisation up here so there is no light polution rendering a starshow of the Southern Hemisphere starring the Southern Cross. More bike-talk, then Graham asks me did I see the Saucepan over here, looking up into the overhead tree. I get up and follow him, thinking, as there are shoe-trees all around Oz, this must be a sausepan-tree! Lighting up the tree with my torch, the other two crusters fall about laughing as the Saucepan is a famous Constellation in the Southern Hemisphere! GOTCHA! Suitably humbled as the daft Irishman, I retreat to the Swag and between Andrew imitating a Suzuki DR, I try to sleep, promising myself some distance from his tent tomorrow night!
Monday morning daybreaks and the wind has dropped thankfully. Quick coffee, strike camp and head SW to Cabramurra, Oz's highest settlement 1600m, for breakfast. Then up to the Lookout over the village set up in the 50's for the SnowyHydro construction. Then we descend snaking along Elliott Way beside the Tumut River, where a lady is sunbathing on a rock! She wouldn't be doing that a couple hundred metres higher! Down to the 1st Hydro Stn, descend and pull left onto Powerline Rd, nice gravel up hill twisting down, following the powerlines taking HydroPower out. We pass Brumby's (wild horses) and Black Wallaby's over Pilot Reef Mtn and to Maragle locale. Back onto tarmac roads thro undulating beef and dairy farms, with Wedgetail Eagles overhead for company, we drop down one side and rise the other side of the Murray Valley, (into Victoria?) stopping with the roadmen resurfacing after rain carried the blacktop away, before descending into Khancoban for camping fees, supplies and nice fresh sandwich lunch served by Jess. Back on the Kosciuszko Alpine Way, we stop at the Murray 1 Power Stn to see the massive pipelines delivering tonnes of water to the turbines. OWG, S up to Scammells Ridge Lookout with a view SW over the Victoria High Country and Mt Kosciuszko, Oz's highest mountain 2228m. Back into the tub and descend Geehi Walls Trail, cooking the outfit's essential back brake. It is suggested we gather round and squirt coolant on it, but it decided to cool down itself quickly, so we descend our 600kg on front brake only to Indi Camp where Major Clews, Army and Hydro Engineer, retired and built his Hut. Back on it Graham leads us to Geehi Flats Rest Area, in lovely sunshine, we pitch camp, me forgetting snore-space from Andrew and paying in ZZZZ's later on! Graham and I load Rays Tiger Tripod with old wood and deliver it to the site. Fire lights easily and while it flares, I feel like a Geehi River swim....until I dip in a toe... No... nether-washing will have to do! I cook the lamb-chops and onions on the camp-steel and share with Graham. It gets dark and without my torch I don't feel like looking for The Saucepan tonite, but Craic is good with Andrew, Ray and Graham swopping crusty-ADV-tales before riding the Swag into Z-land.
Tuesday morn can't come fast enough as the DR was out all night, definately tomorrow will be spaced. Fire is re-lit for toast and tea. Pack and load up and head along the river, beside the disused airfield, to Tyrell's stone-built Hut. Back on and across the Geehi River along Swampy Flats bumpy and rutty Road to the loveliest Keebles river-stone-built Hut. Photos and guestbook done we retrace the Swampy, thumping the sidecar chassis on the rocks, back to the Tar, where we pause to exchange farewells and Andrew and I, (2 Fat Ladies) head S up to Tom Groggins Stn Lookout over Victoria before turning W past Leatherbarrel Creek and Dead Horse Gap Track along good tar to and past Thredbo Ski Area on our left and Perisher behind. Past Bimblegumbie and Crackenback 1250m, Lake Jindabyne hoves into view. Turning right at the junction, we roll into Jindabyne and pull into Nuggety Shopping Centre for supplies and lunch. We meet John from manly on his GS1200 Adventure, on his way back from Melbourne GP. Back in the Tub we rise outa town with the blue lake on our left thro East Jindabyne, leaving the Snowy Mtns Area, past beef grasslands with many black Angus among the massive rock-lumps. Thro Berridale we leave The Great Dividing Range passing Cooma Airport and the Adaminaby/Tumut junction that we entered the Snowy's by on Sunday. Alongside Mt Gladstone 1077m on right, we drop into Cooma for fuel, then we retrace about 500m to the Southern Cloud Memorial, a passenger plane lost on 21.3.31 found 26.10.58. OWG N and immediately E thro Numeralla, hanging left onto loose gravel Boggy Plain and Oranmeir pulling right onto loose Berlang Camping Ground in Duea Nat Park, on the banks of the upper reaches of the Shoalhaven River. Hoping to climb by foot up to Big Hole, we find the river is too swollen from last weeks rains, to forde, so we gather firewood among the ant-holes and termite hills and pitch tent and well-away swag. Petrol again does the job and soon we are cooking corn in their jackets, followed by rump-steak, onions and Tiny Taters. Not too shabby! Chitter into the night before turning in. But the flippin DR rattle carries low over the ground! Or is it a hippo grazing? Doh!
Wednesday morning, I'm wakened by rain, but it's the dew dropping off the trees all at once! Up and breakfast on cereal, then walk to river, but the level hasn't dropped at thro the night, so forget Big Hole. Tea and toast, pack and load, tidy round fireplace and OWG, NE thro Bendoura to turning left and stopping for Apfel Strudel and Cappucino in the Braidwood Bakery. Nice sunny morning, back in the Tub, we cut W on Nerriga Rd over Durran Durra Ck, onto gravel, pausing on the fine wooden bridge on the Mongarlowe River for fotos, notice smell of gas, check and the valve on the bottle has loosened. Tighten that to avoid riding sidecar-bomb into the next town, they wouldn't like it, then Andrew has to tighten the sidecar suspension...Thank's for that Andrew! So, OWG over Corang River and Ninge Nimble Ck, turning N down to another Shoalhaven River crossing which had been 2m underwater last week, good timing! Heading N thro skeletal Cribbly Gums at Windellama, N on gravel changing to tar, into Bungonia, with it's lovely colonial stone bungalows, thro Prairie Oak, we rejoin and head NE on Hume Hwy near Marulan, leaving thro Sutton Forest into Mss Vale. Right onto Illawarra Hwy, pausing for an ore train, into Robertson, stopping this time at the Famous Pie Shop for an Apple Pie and tea. After fotos, OWG down the snakey-superb Macquarrie Pass in sunshine this time!! Setting a new record time for chairs down the Mountain, HIGHFIVES, past Troy Corser's farm wheeling into Andrew's home. Showers and welcome coffee.

Well done Andrew, Ray and Uncle Grah... THANKS for a cracking 4 day ADVer in the Snowy's!

rsmcgoo screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 03:30 PM Reason: Spelling
rsmcgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,845
to be sure to be sure...........

the crack is back....

twere a bloody good weekend...thanks Ray Andrew and Stephen.....
Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Just laying around, looking at the stars. Between us, we point out the Southern Cross in the Milky Way. The Pointers, below and to the west, then wave our arms around magically and we can confidently say “That’s south.”

A couple of shooting stars, some aircraft commuting between Sydney & Melbourne. Gra’ suggesting one will disappear into the black hole, but no. Contemplating the Magellanic Cloud that is visible. How many stars and how far away are they that they can appear to be drops of water floating a few hundred metres above our heads?

Quiet contemplation of 42.

Bit of food and drink to help it all mve along.

“So, Stephen. Have you seen the saucepan yet?” Gra’ lifts us from our bleary thoughts and moves away to from where he’s stood, leading Stephen . “No. Where is it?” is the obvious reply. As they move, just a few feet, Stephen pulls out his torch & shines it up towards the sky.

Talk about fits of laughter. Rolling about.

Having now had motivation to find out, the Saucepan is part of the constellation Pavo. It’s visible in out western sky.

This craic thing sure is fun.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

A bit more video, Monday morning, all those poor soles off to work in the coal mines.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

From 3 Mile, with Mr McGoo (that'd be Stephen) doing his best to let A2 know that he snores - loudly - we diverted to the top of Kings Cross for the usual view over the area. Cold & the gale was ripping through us, Anything but a pleasant spot to stop. But I love the views.

It's such a pity that you need to be a cross country skier to get up here in winter.

Down the hill a bit into Cabramurra, for some breakfast and coffee, and A2 wants to spread the history of all those migrants that came over here in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's to put in the work required to build the Hydro scheme. The sting in the tail of the scheme is that the scientists are now confirming the negative aspects on river flows that come with any dam building, let alone one like this that diverted rivers. That's as political as I dare.

Unc ably demonstrated his smooth technique with the lady at the cafe. Started by asking about closed roads, particularly the one we wanted to take, and I reckon he tweaked that she waas sick and tired of answering questions about road closures. Remember, we've just had probably the biggest flood event in 50 years, and it all flow down hill from here. So, he smooths things over by expressing his concern for her plight. Then, we're all moving to the door, he brings the conversation around to the turtle bobbing around in a tank. The benefit of experience, laid bare. It was pretty to watch.

Down the Elliott Way, about 15km of 35, 45 & 55km/h turns, with the only notable difference to every other ride down being the girl sunbathing on a beach chair near Murray 2 power station. Mr McGoo was on the wrong side & didn't get the eye full. As he pointed out earlier, the wind dropped as soon as we got off the top of the hill.

A short stop at O'Hare's Rest, enjoying the warm, still air.

Followed by the strop up the other side of the valley, before turning left and heading south along Maragle Powerline Rd.

There was quite a bit of wild life close to the road. I nearly ran over a black snake, it flattening it's head somewhat like a cobra, as I went past. Me, I lifted my leg as high as possible, just in case it took a swipe. It stayed on the track until I walked back but was gone by the time the others arrived.

A2 was getting mighty concerned about his ability to get his guest to the end, unscathed. Some of the track was moderately steep and it was putting a fair ask on the brakes of the GS to keep things under control. It wasn't that far to the junction with Maragle Rd, back into farm lands.

Down through Tooma, we actually passed Dobbo and Kimpo (out on their roadies) without recognising them. Recognition was actually unlikely, Kimpo was on the R1 streetfighter and Dobbo was on the un-announced new purchase.

Where we're heading.

A few minutes talking with the bloke who's job it is to hold a wooden stick. He's got the certificate to say he can do it.

Bit of a late lunch at Khancoban followed by the run along the Alpine Way to Major Clews Track, stopping only for a few minutes at Scammel's lookout. Unc and I have been there so many times that we left the view to Mr McGoo & A2. And yes, the young girl at the shop WAS rather fetching. Another pity that we are all sooooo old!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Major Clews Trail was totally unknown to us. I'd done the recce a few weeks ago, but had missed the turn off on the ride south and run out of time to do further exploring. I hoped it wouldn't be too steep or rough, believing that it pretty much followed a ridge. That's what the topo maps indicated!

There was a fair bit of slow, down hill stuff. Arguably the biggest problem was that it was winding and one couldn't see what was 100 metres ahead, so slow and steady was required. How much did you weigh, all up, A2? There'd be 200, + just a little bit, kg just in the organic components on your outfit.

A2 smacked a tree branch around the same time as he discovered an extra 80mm of rear brake lever travel. So, he pulled up on an erosion mound, a worried man. Nothing really obvious, apart from the well worn pads in the rear caliper. He'd changed the front ones

Without the GPS functioning, we had no idea of where we actually were, and there was still the long descent down to Walls Creek before we got back to the bitumen. In for a penny, in for the whole quid.

So on we went.
Not far off A2 pulled up at a small creek. I don't think it was the creek, per se, that was the issue, mainly the angles of entry and exit.
Whilst sort it it out, I complied with the requirement of any trip I take. I fell over. The rock moved! The rock moved! Into the creek, just sufficient to get wet feet and a glove. It's on the video that I haven't edited yet. So you'll have to wait.

The creek wasn't any drama whatsoever. 200 metres later, we turned in and stopped at 'The Major's' hut. I let the others take their photos and they can post them as they see fit.

I'll get into the next bit of video now.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
Andrew2
Team 250

Your snoring has damaged my ears A2.......for the last time I don't snore.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
Andrew2
Team 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmcgoo View Post
On Sunday morning Gareth and Emma left me down to the 'Gong', where I met Andrew2 in the flesh for the first time and we got on well from the getgo.
We loaded the GS1100 with hand-built sidecar, with my roll-bag, camera gear and my trusty Swag, which made Andrew an instant backrest.
Off we go (OWG) to say bye to Andrew's son Braydon who was at the Skatepark. Shakes and Byes. OWG onto the Illawarra Hwy and I'm hoping...yes it is..... the road up the super-snakey MacQuarrie Pass! So we are straight into it! The big parallel-twin certainly pulls out of the hairpins even with the added weight. Past the Robertson Pie Shop, where in 2009 Charlie and I escaped the torrential downpour that turned the Pass into a river! Today the weather is very cool but thankfully dry, all the same we pull in at Moss Vale to pull on waterproofs to keep the cold wind out. OWG thro Sutton Forest (without the forest) onto the Hume Hwy to Gouldburn turning off left thro Inverlochy and Lake Bathurst to Tarago turning left, in sunshine, at The Loaded Dog Hotel (named after the canine who brought the thrown stick of fizzing dynamite back to his owner!). Thro Bungendore, skirting Canberra to Queanbeyan, long run S thro Michelago and Bredbo, getting very cold now as we ascend the Monaro Hwy and my kidneys need insulation, stop at Cooma to refuel, then turn NW to Adaminaby where we stop for a little more fuel. I go into the petrol-station to find they also sell fleeces! I could have kissed the attendant, even tho he had a beard and no teeth! New fleece attached, I'm sorted, as we get supplies and head NW in ghostly white Gum, where the whole mountain burnt in 03, now a tree graveyard altho it's regenerating. Past Lake Eucumbene, stopping at the rebuilt Sawyer's Hill Hut, as half a dozen classic Valliants rumble past on their rally. Quick stop at the old Chinese Goldfields, then past the disused Kiandra Courthouse, turning onto Link Rd, before finding our stop for the night at 3-Mile Dam, where the wind is now freezing. We meet Ray on his Triumph Tiger Trek 3-wheel outfit and Graham on his 625 KTM Trailbike. The guys pitch their tents and I roll out Old Swaggie, my home for 3 nights. I round up some firewood and Andrew uses his tried and trusted method of syphoning petrol from the BM and THAT gets the fire going!
CuppaSoup does for dinner and we are well away from civilisation up here so there is no light polution rendering a starshow of the Southern Hemisphere starring the Southern Cross. More bike-talk, then Graham asks me did I see the Saucepan over here, looking up into the overhead tree. I get up and follow him, thinking, as there are shoe-trees all around Oz, this must be a sausepan-tree! Lighting up the tree with my torch, the other two crusters fall about laughing as the Saucepan is a famous Constellation in the Southern Hemisphere! GOTCHA! Suitably humbled as the daft Irishman, I retreat to the Swag and between Andrew imitating a Suzuki DR, I try to sleep, promising myself some distance from his tent tomorrow night!
Monday morning daybreaks and the wind has dropped thankfully. Quick coffee, strike camp and head SW to Cabramurra, Oz's highest settlement 1600m, for breakfast. Then up to the Lookout over the village set up in the 50's for the SnowyHydro construction. Then we descend snaking along Elliott Way beside the Tumut River, where a lady is sunbathing on a rock! She wouldn't be doing that a couple hundred metres higher! Down to the 1st Hydro Stn, descend and pull left onto Powerline Rd, nice gravel up hill twisting down, following the powerlines taking HydroPower out. We pass Brumby's (wild horses) and Black Wallaby's over Pilot Reef Mtn and to Maragle locale. Back onto tarmac roads thro undulating beef and dairy farms, with Wedgetail Eagles overhead for company, we drop down one side and rise the other side of the Murray Valley, (into Victoria?) stopping with the roadmen resurfacing after rain carried the blacktop away, before descending into Khancoban for camping fees, supplies and nice fresh sandwich lunch served by Jess. Back on the Kosciuszko Alpine Way, we stop at the Murray 1 Power Stn to see the massive pipelines delivering tonnes of water to the turbines. OWG, S up to Scammells Ridge Lookout with a view SW over the Victoria High Country and Mt Kosciuszko, Oz's highest mountain 2228m. Back into the tub and descend Geehi Walls Trail, cooking the outfit's essential back brake. It is suggested we gather round and squirt coolant on it, but it decided to cool down itself quickly, so we descend our 600kg on front brake only to Indi Camp where Major Clews, Army and Hydro Engineer, retired and built his Hut. Back on it Graham leads us to Geehi Flats Rest Area, in lovely sunshine, we pitch camp, me forgetting snore-space from Andrew and paying in ZZZZ's later on! Graham and I load Rays Tiger Tripod with old wood and deliver it to the site. Fire lights easily and while it flares, I feel like a Geehi River swim....until I dip in a toe... No... nether-washing will have to do! I cook the lamb-chops and onions on the camp-steel and share with Graham. It gets dark and without my torch I don't feel like looking for The Saucepan tonite, but Craic is good with Andrew, Ray and Graham swopping crusty-ADV-tales before riding the Swag into Z-land.
Tuesday morn can't come fast enough as the DR was out all night, definately tomorrow will be spaced. Fire is re-lit for toast and tea. Pack and load up and head along the river, beside the disused airfield, to Tyrell's stone-built Hut. Back on and across the Geehi River along Swampy Flats bumpy and rutty Road to the loveliest Keebles river-stone-built Hut. Photos and guestbook done we retrace the Swampy, thumping the sidecar chassis on the rocks, back to the Tar, where we pause to exchange farewells and Andrew and I, (2 Fat Ladies) head S up to Tom Groggins Stn Lookout over Victoria before turning W past Leatherbarrel Creek and Dead Horse Gap Track along good tar to and past Thredbo Ski Area on our left and Perisher behind. Past Bimblegumbie and Crackenback 1250m, Lake Jindabyne hoves into view. Turning right at the junction, we roll into Jindabyne and pull into Nuggety Shopping Centre for supplies and lunch. We meet John from manly on his GS1200 Adventure, on his way back from Melbourne GP. Back in the Tub we rise outa town with the blue lake on our left thro East Jindabyne, leaving the Snowy Mtns Area, past beef grasslands with many black Angus among the massive rock-lumps. Thro Berridale we leave The Great Dividing Range passing Cooma Airport and the Adaminaby/Tumut junction that we entered the Snowy's by on Sunday. Alongside Mt Gladstone 1077m on right, we drop into Cooma for fuel, then we retrace about 500m to the Southern Cloud Memorial, a passenger plane lost on 21.3.31 found 26.10.58. OWG N and immediately E thro Numeralla, hanging left onto loose gravel Boggy Plain and Oranmeir pulling right onto loose Berlang Camping Ground in Duea Nat Park, on the banks of the upper reaches of the Shoalhaven River. Hoping to climb by foot up to Big Hole, we find the river is too swollen from last weeks rains, to forde, so we gather firewood among the ant-holes and termite hills and pitch tent and well-away swag. Petrol again does the job and soon we are cooking corn in their jackets, followed by rump-steak, onions and Tiny Taters. Not too shabby! Chitter into the night before turning in. But the flippin DR rattle carries low over the ground! Or is it a hippo grazing? Doh!
Wednesday morning, I'm wakened by rain, but it's the dew dropping off the trees all at once! Up and breakfast on cereal, then walk to river, but the level hasn't dropped at thro the night, so forget Big Hole. Tea and toast, pack and load, tidy round fireplace and OWG, NE thro Bendoura to turning left and stopping for Apfel Strudel and Cappucino in the Braidwood Bakery. Nice sunny morning, back in the Tub, we cut W on Nerriga Rd over Durran Durra Ck, onto gravel, pausing on the fine wooden bridge on the Mongarlowe River for fotos, notice smell of gas, check and the valve on the bottle has loosened. Tighten that to avoid riding sidecar-bomb into the next town, they wouldn't like it, then Andrew has to tighten the sidecar suspension...Thank's for that Andrew! So, OWG over Corang River and Ninge Nimble Ck, turning N down to another Shoalhaven River crossing which had been 2m underwater last week, good timing! Heading N thro skeletal Cribbly Gums at Windellama, N on gravel changing to tar, into Bungonia, with it's lovely colonial stone bungalows, thro Prairie Oak, we rejoin and head NE on Hume Hwy near Marulan, leaving thro Sutton Forest into Mss Vale. Right onto Illawarra Hwy, pausing for an ore train, into Robertson, stopping this time at the Famous Pie Shop for an Apple Pie and tea. After fotos, OWG down the snakey-superb Macquarrie Pass in sunshine this time!! Setting a new record time for chairs down the Mountain, HIGHFIVES, past Troy Corser's farm wheeling into Andrew's home. Showers and welcome coffee.

Well done Andrew, Ray and Uncle Grah... THANKS for a cracking 4 day ADVer in the Snowy's!
Nice writeup Stephen.It was a pleasure to have you along.

Cheers
A2

Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #15
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote