User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #16
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,544
Bit more video, if you're interested.

My student son needs the 'net. Well, that's what he says anyway. I'll have to get back to the text later.

When does McGoo get back home? Leaving tomorrow or next week? I'd like to see a few of his photos / video too.
Andrew?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #17
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,858
Another top video Ray, thanks for sharing.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,170
That was definately relief Ray.Trying to stop the big girl and stay off the back brake for fear of overheating it again definately had me stressed.

Stephen flies back today.I've got all his video footage but don't have a clue how to edit and post it.Also got all the photos from his GoPro.

Cheers
A2

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

So the video is up to the end of Monday, at Geehi Flat. Uncle Gra even manages to take a ride on the sidecar, for the first time.
Funny, but there is a whole section of video - the descent down to Walls Creek - that I didn't record. Must've been anticipating that it wouldn't be that interesting because it was slow.

A2, if you wish, you could put McGoo's files onto a disc & send it?
I definitely want that over the shoulder shot of the outfit slightly sideways, with the sidecar wheel off the ground.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #20
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
I lived in the Tumba area for 4 years in the late 70's, early 80's and I love the place and the people. I travelled on the Maragle Rd a lot to go fishing in the Tooma R. I get back there reasonably frequently but not often enough. Whenever I want to go over on the bike my wife wants to go too so it has to be the car. The 4 bears cafe is great. terrific food and atmosphere. Thanks for the pics.
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #21
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

About the only drama I'd been having was with the fuel. The auxilliary tank wasn't working (it wasn't the fuse) so I had 20 litres of ballast. I'd normally get around 220+ km to the main tank but, enroute to Khancoban I'd switched it to reserve at 175km. As it turned out, I made it without a drama and only put 18 litres in it.

The brakes on mine weren't any issue. I'd just replaced the rear pads, the front pads were fine and I could share the load on the rear by using the sidecar brake. After 12 months, I'm starting to get the hang of using the sidecar brake. It's a bit of a tap dance, shuffling between the gear lever and the brake, plus trying to judge timing and then control the brakes on the right side as well. It works really well when I get it right. And it's heaps of fun on alternating left & right bends.

I suspect the rest at the hut, followed by about 5 or 6 km of reasonably quick riding along Geehi Walls Trail, had allowed the BM's brakes more time to recover. Maybe, that little stop at the fallen tree had just been sufficient to put the rear brake over the top? Whatever, there didn't appear to be any great drama going down towards Bogong & Walls Creek where we had another brief pause in progress.

A couple of blokes we'd spoken with in Khancoban suggested that this is THE spot for trout. Trout are another feral species in this country but no one seems to mind. You can't eat foxes and toads. Fact is though, trout have essentially eradicated other fish species. One species is now confined to the upper streams of the mountains, above the snow line. I have done a tiny bit of fly fishing, years ago.

Next up, we did the final couple of kay back up the hill to the Alpine Way, then setting up camp at Geehi Flat. Acres of flat, grassy ground and we took probably 10 minutes to find a camp.

I finally talked Gra into taking Trek for a ride. He and McGoo disappeared to get some firewood. The condition was to not damage the paintwork.

I think he was quite surprised when he first opened the throttle and it tried to go left.

On their return, with a huge load of wood for one night, he opined that it was 'no longer a motorcycle.'
Well, fancy that!

I've had cause to think about countersteering recently. I reckon the first ride on a sidecar proves that we subconsciously countersteer when riding a solo. Don't believe me? Go get you first ride on an outfit.

Don't let 1/60th second make you prejudiced towards his mental state

A UK-centric t shirt. Makes me wonder what our equivalent is - how much can a koala bear?

Mr McGoo gets lethal with a lump of tree.

We needed tinder, you see. But even the tinder needed some metho to help it along.

A local waiting for a feed. Currawong? Correct? Yellow eyes. I think that's what Gra said. I'll stand corrected.

Can't recall what transpired during the evening. I remember the fire was welcome, we did some spot lighting of the possums. We definitely enjoyed ourselves anyway.

Tuesday morning rolled around with a heavy fog and everything saturated as a consequence. This was the mornign we went our seperate ways. A2 wanted to get into some place called 'Big Hole'. Personally, I thought Sydney was too far away to get there without having to push it along the freeway. But he reckoned on it being some place in the upper Shoalhaven (or as it is called by some locals over there 'The Hole Shaven")

So, we didn't get to travel together towards Geehi Dam, or up to Guthega,

Just taking the effort have a gander at Geehi Hut (whilst I attempted to take photos of moist laden spiders' webs) and also slip over the other side of the river and a visit to Keebles Hut. If anything, the camp spot here is better than Geehi Flat, just there are no toilets. So don't go wandering off amongst the bushes or the ferns.

Using the sky as background didn't work. Maybe I should/could 'shop chop it?

McGoo had a go but I know that digimatic cameras wont do the job properly.

A2 and McGoo take a quiet stroll by themselves...

Access to Keeble's was back to the
Alpine Way, across the bridge and along a track on the opposite side of the river. The small ford at Geehi was fairly high & fast and the hole on the other side was really chewed up by the 4wd mob.

Keeble's is at the far end of a cleared flat paddock, now covered by bracken fern and kangaroos.

Bloody beautiful when we were here. Maybe a bit different on a wet day in the middle of winter.

This was 'take 3'

The view fromwhat just might be the best swimming hole I've ever seen. OK, maybe not, but it's a ripper. It helps that a flood has just been through, ripped the bottom clean and dumped all the rubbish on the opposite bank well above the height of our heads.

Some disagreement about just why the black stone on the side of the fireplace would be polished, whilst the granite ones aren't.
A2 reckoned that it was because everyone that came in asked the same question and gave the stone a polish just to see if it was smooth. Hundred years of getting touched up would probably polish me, too.

Gra' taking on the role of school teacher and checking on Mr McGoo's use of Irelish.

Just in case you needed another view or, wanted to see how the roof was constructed.

We then got the flock out of there, back over to the bitumen.

Said farewells and headed in different directions. A2 & McGoo headed east, towards Thredbo. Gra' & I went north, into Geehi Dam and Olsen's Lookout. But that will be for 'ron. (The offspring wants the internet).

Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #22
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Just got this from Mr McGoo. Taken whilst going up the Elliott Way from O'Hares Rest. Yes, I was enjoying myself! Over the shoulder, point it in roughly the correct direction & press the button.

So, I've changed my avatar to this!

The sidecar sits nice and flat.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #24
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,722
so wheres the rest of the ride report....
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

I was waiting for you...

You mean Geehi Dam & Olsen's lookout. Well, I'mgettinroudtuiteventually. You can start...
Oh, that's right, you need me to write it up so you can remember what you did and where you went.

I also see you've got smugmug The video of the echidna is pretty close to home. The other, surprisingly of a dog, is at the 24. Now you just need a proper camera and a better 'net connection.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #26
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

I chose the 14 day free trial....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Ok. With A2 & Mr McGoo out of the w.....heading east to Jindabyne and some Big Hole, Gra' and I had basically a day to get a couple of hundred kays to our respective residences. Along roads we've both ridden many times. There are lots of places still to look at up there, even if the place has more gates than hairs on anything a politician would tell you.

Olsen's Lookout and Geehi Dam aren't on everybody's radar. Come to tink of it, neither is Major Clew's Hut. But there you go.

As ever, the first obstacle is the season closure. The first gate is just out of sight from the Alpine Way. This is probably the first time I've ever looked and foudn the gate open.

Next, you've got further gates along the track. We'd been repeatedly told that one can't get past Olsen's Lookout. No reason given, just that it's locked off. Being a dam, I figured it may have something to do with 'critical infrastructure' - government speak for 'an good excuse to keep the public out'.

We'd also been told that the road was fairly rough. It was nothing of the sort. Apart from the roadworks, it was 3rd gear almost all the way.

Just before Olsen's there is a fork in the road. Right to the lookout and left to Geehi Dam. The gate was unlocked!! Very unexpected. We had a squiz at the lookout first, anyway.

This is about 1100m, so there'd be a bit of the fluffy stuff around in a few months time.
This helps to explain about the dead trees. There's a lot of it about. The trees around Cabramurra were burned off well before the 2003 fires and they are just starting to be out grown. Storms are now a real risk to the dead trees, so you'd not want to be standing in the forest - it may be easy to be in teh wrong place at the wrong time.

A bloke we spoke with, at the lookout, reckon'd that he'd asked one of the road workers about getting to the dam, with the response that the road was really rough and knocked about. Oh, well, we'll have to give it a go. The gate is open, we can only get kicked out, stopped by a crappy track or get out there...

Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #28
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

No, we didn't get turned around. No, the road wasn't impossibly crappy. Yes, we went out to Geehi Dam.

Bloody good ride, too. Nothing that you couldn't do on a sports bike, really. I will suggest that the road has had plenty of re-building recently. Maybe it was almost impassable. There was only one spot where it seemed that doG hadn't put away his toys after playing with the weather.

Great views too.

No you can't get into a position to see what happens at the bottom. Pity about that, too. They've even put high wire fences to prevent people walking down the rock wall and then getting themselves into a spot that may allow them to fall in.

I reckon it would make a noise.
It'd make a 900SS with Contis, at full noise, seem quiet.
Maybe the analogy should be a 950 with Akros?

We didn't hang around long. We did stop off at a small regulator just back up the road a bit. The water was so clean that you could see feet into the reserviour and the outlet looked perfect.

Except for the fact that someone had decided that the bottle they brought all the way from doG knows where was better off just left here.

Heading back to the Alpine Way, I stopped to take some stills of some of the views. It would be spectacular during winter. Walkers only. I wonder if my body would take the strain?

This is back towards the south, over Geehi Flat and towards Victoria.

Enough of rocky hills, you'd rather look at winding tracks across the side of the hills, in all likelihood.

Something to help your imagination of riding along, kicking up a cloud of dust? What's over the hill? Around the bend? Across that creek?

Along here, it's often a case of 'can't see the road for the trees'. So this is all you get. You'll have to come and take your own photos.

Gra' and I cruised back to the bitumen, then back into Khancoban for some more fuel. Out along the Alpine Way & looking for the short cut along Towong Hill Rd. Ignoring the first 'road closed' signs - they leave 'em out much longer than they should, don't they - we had to turn around halfway along. The road was blocked by a excavator taking small bites out of half a hill that thought it was one of my bikes and decided to lay down on the road.

We parted at Jingellic, me crossing back into New South Wales and finding my favourite way home, via Four Mile, Little Billabong, Pulletop and Big Springs.

Thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the company. Thanks blokes.

This last bit of video may just whet your appetite a bit more.

Hope so. Just let me know when you're coming, I'll invite myself to tag along.

Got a date, yet?

PS see what happens when you let the Youtube computer 'fix' your shakey video!! I'm going to leave it like this as a reminder to NOT trust automatic things.
(I still miss WordPerfect. MS Word is evil).

tripodtiger screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 03:43 AM
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Why does a 3 day ride get moved to 'day trippin'?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

A big effort as usual..thanks my son..