User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
version6.1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Question Great Divide Trail around Banff

I am looking for information on the Great Divide Trail in Canada. I'm a Vstrom 650 rider from North Carolina, Blue Ridge Mountain area. My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to ride to British Columbia this July and he has seen an article in an adventure magazine about the Great Divide Trail that runs from Canada to Mexico. We are interested in trying some of it out when we're up in the Banff area. Can someone tell me what kind of road conditions I should expect in mid July (and tire recommendations).

Thanks...
version6.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
r_crabb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
The most commonly done Great Divide trail is laid out between the Canadian border and the Mexican border. I don't know if anyone has continued the routing into Canada. The route was laid out by some folks on mountainbikes; search on adventure cycling in google, and you should be able to find their website. I think it's something close to adv-cycling.com, but don't quote me. You can get the paperback book from them, as well as high-quality maps laying out the route, and GPS waypoints.

There have been several threads regarding the Continental Divide trail, and there's one group doing it from South to North this July. Their thread is under Upcoming Rides.

I've done the Divide trail twice on my F650GS Dakar. First time, had Saharas on, second time Karoos. The Karoos were more fun. There's quite a bit of gravel involved. Tourances would be OK if it was dry the whole time and you went really slow.
r_crabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
version6.1 OP
Adventurer

Sahara's and Karoo's

I was thinking the Karoo's look like a good choice. Can't get the Enduro's for my bike. Although my boyfriend is taking his Dakar and currently has the Sahara's, he was wondering if he should keep the same tire on for the whole trip or use Tourances up and then switch to Karoo's or TKC 80's when we go more off-road. Thanks for the info...

Does anyone suggest a good map of Alberta and British Columbia that shows fire roads. Also looking for suggestions of great off-highway rides in both of those provinces.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
r_crabb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Kinda depends on how you're going to get there. If you're hitting the slab until you get to the Canadian border (what is it, about 2500 miles from where you are?), your Karoos will be junk by the time you hit any off-road. Saharas won't be in fantastic shape, either.

Last year, I put new Tourances on before I started my trip, and shipped a new set of Karoos to the BMW rally in Spokane, WA. Rode the Tourances out to Spokane, changed tires at the rally, shipped the Tourances to Santa Fe, NM. Spokane's only about 250 miles from Eureka, MT, and my intent was to ride the knobbies on the highway for a few miles, then do the Divide ride, then remount at Santa Fe. Didn't quite work out that way (an even longer story), but my Karoos would have been toast by then.

I guess it's a long way of saying that if you're prepared to change tires on the road, you may have a little more flexibility in your tire choice. One way to do it is to ship tires ahead of you, either to friendly dealers, or hotels, or whatever. I've also heard of people shipping to post offices, but haven't ever done it.

Anyway, good luck.
r_crabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
tango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
as just stated the Divide Trail runs from the Canadian to Mexican border and is not so named in Canada,however,The Alberta Trunk Road would be the logical extension of that ride.In the lower half of the province its largely paved but above highway 1 it's a gravel road wellworth the ride.Ithink it will be labelled as highway 22.Once you get here most bookstores carry mapbooks of the fireroads of Alberta and BC which are very detailed.I'll try to find an online map for you and get back.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
billy_037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
You can go on the trunk road almost to Jasper (Columbia Ice fields).
In Coleman, at the Husky gas station, turn north (trunk road or 40). Eventually you end up in Kananaskis Country). Follow you way to Cochrane, and go further north. The part North of Cochrane is the nicest piece of gravel in Southern Alberta, as far as I know.
If you want to, I can get you the map.
Because the major part of the Trunk Road is private (logging industry), you will not find this road on most maps.
billy_037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
version6.1 OP
Adventurer

Alberta Trunk Road

Just checked out the roads you were explaining on my Atlas. Great information.... Lots of camping, too. Let me know how I can get ahold of one of those maps, and is it a problem to ride on the logging roads (like are there a lot of logging trucks ready to run you down....and do they get on you for riding on private property?)

Thanks again...
Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
billy_037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by version6.1
Just checked out the roads you were explaining on my Atlas. Great information.... Lots of camping, too. Let me know how I can get ahold of one of those maps, and is it a problem to ride on the logging roads (like are there a lot of logging trucks ready to run you down....and do they get on you for riding on private property?)

Thanks again...
First of all, even that the Trunk Road is a private road, it is open to public users. There is some logging traffic, but when I see them coming, I stop and let them pass.

The easiest way to check the maps out. Go to Mapquest. Look for the city of Coleman (West of Pincher Creek in the Crownest Pass). At 27 Ave, you turn North. After 5 km, it becomes Trunk Road (40). Just a very small part of the trunk road is displayed on Mapquest. Just move north on the map, and eventually, west of Longview, it will show up again. Follow the 40 west (paved part in Kananaskis country), direction Banff. Follow the 40, over Highway nr.1 to Highway 1A. Turn East, direction of Cochrane, approx. 20 km west of Cochrane, the 40 shows up again (only very small part of it). If you move north on the map, you will see road 734. This road (part of the 40) will lead you north to Nordegg, and if you want go further North to Hinton (little town east of Jasper).

Need more help, just let me know.
billy_037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
version6.1 OP
Adventurer

logging roads

Thanks a lot for the detailed information... Much appreciated. I've got it printed out and ready to go.... come on July...
Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
dastick
dastick

Oddometer: 89
I have done the route mentioned between Coleman and Nordegg and the roads are very well maintained and I think could be done with any tire choice. I have seen many a V-strom on these roads. If you want to do a nice side trip into Banff, take the Smith Dorian Spray Lakes road (Butifull area), off of the paved part of highway 40 before you reach Kananakis, that leads to Canmore (town 25km east of Banff), then take the number one into Banff. You can then connect onto the 1a in Canmore and take that to 734 (40) and continue North. There are backroad mapbooks avail. for this whole area. I will try and find out if they have a website for you to order.

.."It's steeper then it looks" Every one who posted a pic with a hill.
dastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
These folks have the Great Divide maps and GPS waypoints - they've got the section from Banf to Rooseville, MT mapped out. They're a good group - I'm a member and get steep discounts on their maps.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #12
dastick
dastick

Oddometer: 89
here is the site for the backroad mapbooks:

www.backroadmapbooks.com

.."It's steeper then it looks" Every one who posted a pic with a hill.
dastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:17 AM   #13
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 389
I vote for the back roads map book or MapArt has some detailed books. Use them both.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:36 AM   #14
version6.1 OP
Adventurer

Thumb Oh yeah....

Thanks for these great sites. Just looked at the Backroads site - that's just what we were hoping to find.... We really appreciate your local knowlege with these detailed route suggestions!

Janet
Old 04-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #15
Stand Up
Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer: 360
Greetings from Calgary

I've got all the Backroad map books. If you don't want to buy one, I could PDF you a couple of pages. The great divide trial runs through a Provincial Park and a National Park, so you won't be able to dirt it into Banff. I've done alot of the gravel roads on the east side of the Rockies (that are open...there's still snow/mud up there), so let me know how "dirty" you want to ride - single track? creek crossings? etc and I'll try to recommend something. There's a million people in Calgary, so I'd just pick up tires here or in Missoula, or Great Falls.

Stand Up
Stand Up is offline   Reply With Quote