User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Avventuri OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
HELP: Hyperpro shocks – choosing the right one

Hi! I am ordering a set of Hyperpro 3D shocks & springs for my 1150. The question is – do I need the separate reservoir preload adjuster –*or not?

I ride without a pillon, no load or moderate load in panniers. 50/50 black top and dirt.

What says your experience?

Greetings from Denmark!

MB
Avventuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Speedy Stamps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hi - I've had a set of Hyperpro's on for about six months and didn't go for the separate reservoir. I also have the original preload adjuster and it works fine. I only have my wife on the back every now and then and when do crank it up a few turns. The difference in ride is immediately noticeable and after a few thousand Km's they settle in nicely.
Speedy Stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
Avventuri OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Stamps View Post
Hi - I've had a set of Hyperpro's on for about six months and didn't go for the separate reservoir. I also have the original preload adjuster and it works fine. I only have my wife on the back every now and then and when do crank it up a few turns. The difference in ride is immediately noticeable and after a few thousand Km's they settle in nicely.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Sounds promising – I am looking much forward to a suspension upgrade!

MB
Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
Same here. My Hyperpros are basic, just with the preload and rebound adjusters for the rear and rebound only for front. I found that after setting the rear shock to where i want it, I never touched it again. If you are sure that your load will never vary significantly, you can actually forego the preload adjuster and save yourself a few hunred bucks.

Via Tapatalk
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
MikeWW
Motorcyclist

pre-load adjuster

Quote:
I also have the original preload adjuster and it works fine.
I am debating about the optional pre-load adjuster as well. You say you are using the oem adjuster on your HyperPro's. Was that set up by the HyperPro dealer?
MikeWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Speedy Stamps
Adventurer

Yes it was. I ordered the shocks and when they arrived in Aust. about six weeks later the local distributor called me. Luckily I was just heading off on a non bike trip so I posted the original rear shock to him and within a week the new shocks had arrived with the original adjuster fitted. Nice job and does the trick perfectly!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
MikeWW
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Yes it was. I ordered the shocks and when they arrived in Aust. about six weeks later the local distributor called me. Luckily I was just heading off on a non bike trip so I posted the original rear shock to him and within a week the new shocks had arrived with the original adjuster fitted. Nice job and does the trick perfectly!
Interesting. How did the cost compare to using the HyperPro pre-load adjuster?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Speedy Stamps
Adventurer

Not sure of the price difference of using the HP preload adjuster, but it cost A$100- to have the changeover fitting of the original done. As they do pretty much the same thing it seemed cheap to me!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
MikeWW
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Not sure of the price difference of using the HP preload adjuster, but it cost A$100- to have the changeover fitting of the original done. As they do pretty much the same thing it seemed cheap to me!
Thanks for that information. Definitely looks like a viable option.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 951
If you're already buying 3D's and are opting for the fully adjustable ones then another $200 U.S. is hardly noticeable. The HP adjuster is attractive and works very smoothly. The stocker works great, but always felt cheap to me.

FYI, I have the fully adjustable 3D's on my bike with ride height adjustment and hydraulic preloader added to the rear. Also, I opted to have the progressive springs replaced with straight rates after I spent some times on the progressives. So far, I like the feel of the straight rates better and the suspension is easier to set up.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Avventuri OP
n00b

Wicked

Thanks –*sound advice! I΄ll be back to post, once I have mounted my new suspension – some kind of Xmas morning that will be!

Bibow
Fallbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
If you're already buying 3D's and are opting for the fully adjustable ones then another $200 U.S. is hardly noticeable. The HP adjuster is attractive and works very smoothly. The stocker works great, but always felt cheap to me.

FYI, I have the fully adjustable 3D's on my bike with ride height adjustment and hydraulic preloader added to the rear. Also, I opted to have the progressive springs replaced with straight rates after I spent some times on the progressives. So far, I like the feel of the straight rates better and the suspension is easier to set up.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,077
My opinion..after 60K with Hyperpros..

You want the Hyd Preload adjuster..

You may or may not NEED the external reservoir, depending on your riding..remeber all it does is give you more oil capacity to facilitate cooling..if you aren't going to be beating up and down rough roads for long periods of time..you won't experience shock fade anyway..it will be a waste of money..

Here in the desert..they're a must have..bad washboard roads for miles..(Blew seals clean outta a stock shock on the Saline Valley road..40 miles of 10 inch washboard..yes..it sucked)

If you stick mostly to decent roads..take the money you save on the externals..buy gas..way more fun for the buck..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #13
Avventuri OP
n00b

Thanks for all your advice and opinions..... new springs & shocks (with pre.adjust) now on order! Looking forward to the "new" bike!

:-D MB
Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 951
So...how did you specify your shocks?

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
Avventuri OP
n00b

HyperPro 3D MX with preload adjust and separate reservoir – progressive springs, matched to weight and riding style.

Works great on paper – looking much(!) forward to fit and test, before this summer΄s first longer trip on dirt.

MB