Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #152
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by loupiote View Post
Joel,

thanks again for inviting us for dinner at Panamint Springs!

it was nice to meet you guys. i'll post more photos of the posse we saw in saline valley on thursday (fixing the KTM front tire).

unfortunately we had to leave on saturday, so we couldn't come back for the raffle / party night. we had crazy wind on the road, with sand storm (so much sand flying on the road that visibility was zero!), near olancha. wow! made it back to SF with strong head winds all the way.

pleasure to have you tristan and sharon. great to hear you made it to sf.

last year, we had a traveller from england who joined us too. we'll always have rooms for weary travellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
And that I had the SPOT Shared Pages app on my iPhone with your link in it AND that the spotty wi-fi at the camp decided to actually work. AND that there were those who then rallied to the cause. Great group of PPs.

i was lackadaisical and too busy sharing my spot shared page, but with some prodding from eric i finally did.

thanks eric for handling the spot thing, people will realize the benefits only after something unfortuante happened. as eric said, PPs will step in and will give assistance. yeah, i remember lonestar....he rescued loner's se950 on the way to warp last year.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #153
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
thanks eric for handling the spot thing, people will realize the benefits only after something unfortuante happened. as eric said, PPs will step in and will give assistance. yeah, i remember lonestar....he rescued loner's se950 on the way to warp last year.
I was sold on the SPOT before the Rally but hadn't got around to getting one. Now I'm determined to get one before my next trip. Even though we were almost back to the pavement it was such a relief to see those headlights heading toward us on Thursday night. Thanks to Eric for organizing the spot page and for noticing that the spot hadn't moved and to jnyrav, dsm8 and lonestar for coming to the rescue! It was really heartwarming to return to camp and see how many people were looking out for us and were worried about us. I also want to thank dsm8 and everybody else who looked after Joe that evening too. ADVers are terrific!!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #154
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Saturday's Goler/Mengal Loop with r3r3r (3/31)

Saturday’s ride was the loop lead by r3r3r/Randall, which great to 14 people deep. A few dropped out, a few dropped in, and I am terrible with names so unfortunately I won’t even attempt to name everyone I snapped in my photos. After a last minute chain change the night before (thanks to Lior for bringing some good spare parts with him!) after my chain

Again, on my photos, you can click on any of my photos to get linked to the original large size. You can also find them all posted here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_e...7629386735258/

The GPS tracks, ridden counter clockwise.

GPS elevation profile.

michael.brat/Mike and group in tow as we head south on Panamint Valley Road to the start of the dirt on Indian Ranch Road. This is where we first noticed the crazy headwind that would only get worse later in the day.

The first of a few large and longish regroups just as we hit Indian Ranch Road. We dropped two at this point due to some mechanical issues created the day prior....Andrea's little DR200 had some problems and she and Ed turned back to ride a different loop.

The infamous Goler Wash rock step. I rode this thing for the first time two years ago and didn't even really remember it, probably due to the fact that I was on a better bike for the rough stuff (TE250) and I suspected the step is harder now. Well after looking at my old video, the step did not have all those loose rocks that you see now...notice them in the photo below?

Watch the video below around 8:32 or so, you can see the step there with no loose rocks below it. I do have new helmet cam footage of me riding up it this time but I have gotten around to posting it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvYInwEKR0&

I managed to make it up without trouble (big ups to riding a small 250, a nice payoff for having to wring the engine out on those high speed sandy roads and headwinds), as well as a few others who made it up with little to no trouble. Here is a photo of me, courtesy of r3r3r/Randall.

Let the carnage begin....dainbramaged with a little incident going up the rocks.

Like a true large project, notice the management on the left providing valuable feedback and oversight.

How many guys does it take to haul a 1200GS up the rock step? All in all, we pulled him up without any naps or damage. Quite the effort though!

I believe this is pinocono, flying up the step with some wheelie action to boot.

Some assistance for the BMW G650X.

As we all finally made it up the step, a Mercedes G Class rolls up and walks right up the rock step like it was a speed bump. He makes it look so easy, but we make it so much cheaper! Turns out it was Redbull Addict, a fellow ADVer and friend of h8chain/Joel.

Made it up to Mengel Pass, where the wind became quite bad again. It was definitely a nice day to be back in the canyons.

michael.brat/Mike, at Mengel Pass.

A few guys drop down to find the cabins, in hopes of a less windy spot for lunch.

michael.brat/Mike drops in.

The Geologist Cabin was supposed to be our next stop for the lunch break, but instead we mistakenly stopped at the cabin before that one...nonetheless, still a nice cabin, all ready for a candle light dinner.

We ended up staying here for at least an hour while the tail end of our group caught back up. Some of the bigger bikes and n00bs took some more time through

These cabins are nice. We noticed that someone dragged up a big goblet from Medieval Times.

Striped Butte....this site is absolutely stunning and no photos can do justice to how the bands of colors stick out against the barren landscape.

Striped Butte....again, something that must be seen in person to truly appreciate. The way it grows in sight as you head east from Butte Valley down Warm Springs is amazing.

Another regroup on Warm Springs roads after it opens up quite a bit.

At West Side Road and Badwater Road...the wind was really howling here, as you could lean this far and more into the wind and it would hold you up.

The rest of the group catches up as West Side Road ends. We were all flying down West Side Road with the tail wind at our backs. You could haul at 60-70mph and not feel any wind around you at all, the air was perfectly still. Randall commented on the huge ball of heat between his legs since the air cooled bikes had virtually no airflow to cool off with. I think michael.brat/Mike got up around 80-90mph. As Mike and a few others made the 90 degree right hander on West Side Road just before it ends at Badwater Road, they got hit by the crosswind so hard that a few of them were blown straight off the road. It was an odd sensation to be sliding sideways across the gravel while riding down a straight road!

Heading north on Badwater Road, you can see all the storms being whipped around. At this point it's back to riding at 60mph with such a strong tail wind that the air is completely still around you.

Get ready to enter...

...THE BEAST!!!! This was right around the sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells.

As we came down pass on 190 back to PSR, we came across a small amount of fist sized rocks in the road, which looked like a fairly fresh small rockslide. We talked with some riders who were 5 minutes behind us, and apparently there was a larger rockslide right after we passed through as a few cars had to stop completely.

All in all, another great ride and great loop. Thanks to r3r3r/Randall for leading such a large group! A few falls in the group, but overall nothing serious and another great day of riding!!!

isaac004 screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 03:03 PM
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #155
loupiote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
i've also been through this goler wash trail years ago, when there were no loose rocks like that.

one of my friends who went there recently told me it was easier to pass the "step" by walking the bike (rather than riding it) and playing with the clutch on the empty (much lighter) bike.

has anyone tried that technique with a 650cc or larger bike? (I have a KLR650)

the problem with those large bikes is that it's hard to get a good footing if needed, because they are quite high. a 250cc like a honda XR is perfect for this kind of trails!

it's probably much easier going down, of course, but i might try my way up next time i get there.
loupiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #156
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 452
Isaac, those are great photos from both of your group rides. It's neat to see pictures from another view. That's the first I've seen of my wheelie up the steps.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #157
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Sunday's Saline Warm Springs Out and Back (4/1)

On Sunday Mike and I wanted a decent ride, but not an all day event so we could still get back in time to PSR and load up and drive home. We decided to just do an out and back to the Saline Warm Springs so we could soak and relax in the tubs for a while and have our lunch break. When we passed through on Friday for the Steele Pass Loop, we did not have enough time to relax here in the springs.

As we were heading out, Mark joined us on his DR650.

Mike, heading up Saline Valley Road.

All in all a great ride out for the tubs and lunch. As usual, you meet some interesting characters and their lack of clothes in these hot tubs.

On the way back we stopped at one of the scenic viewpoints off of 190.

Heading home back to LA, enjoying some of the premium milk shakes that the PSR gas station sells. Seriously, these milk shakes are TOP NOTCH and well worth it!!! Thanks to Joe for taking the lead on organizing the ride, and thanks to everyone for kicking in with their help and leading rides! Mike and I were able to get in over 500 miles of riding!!!

isaac004 screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 06:28 PM
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #158
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Quote:
Nice RRs Isaac. It was great to have you and Michael on the ride!
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #159
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,071
Browneye's RR - for Thursday

The best part about this trip for me was pretty much being able to do what I wanted when I wanted. I was there solo just to meet up with my ADV friends. The bottom line is that I had a terrific vacation and thoroughly enjoyed my ride trips. Last year I came up late on my streetbike due to weather but this year I had the new Husky 630 so it made exploring an absolute blast. I had a preview last November but due to weather our trips were pretty limited. This time I covered over 400 miles on 3 rides in the north and west part of the area, Saline, Hunter, Racetrack, White Top,Cerro Gordo and the Salt Tram. This is the first installment of each day out at the n0Ob rALLy.

I got there Wednesday afternoon and met up with fellow Husky rider Ken (BlaiseW) who traveled all the way from Houston to ride with us. What a trip! Sharing a campsite worked out really well, got setup and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

Our Thursday ride was to Saline Valley hot springs and there were a few others wanting to go as well. We waited for a long time for a few peeps to get there and then they were still waiting for more peeps to get there so we decided to meet everyone out at the springs. Ken, John (jnyrav on his new 690) and I headed for Saline Valley Road.

Once we got to South Pass I talked them into shooting up to Hunter Cabin just to check it out. We figured we'd have plenty of time, maybe catch the rest of the riders on our way back down.

Hunter Mountain Road was pretty muddied up and there was snow on the hillsides up that way:

We actually rode through a few snow patches getting into the cabin. Had a cup of coffee with the jetboil, a snack, and a quick photo. Me (Chris), John, and Ken.
Notice the snow in the foreground...if you recall the other ride report photos from the following day(s) it had all melted.

On our way back down the mountain we ran into RobG, Cowgirl, and Macadamia on their way up Hunter Mountain Road on their ill-fated adventure. Glad they finally all made it out okay. I had reservations on seeing them up there, Cowgirl had already dumped at least once in one of the mud-slicked ruts, but it wasn't my place to tell them where to go or what to do. Hindsight is 20-20, right?

So on out Saline Valley to Warm Springs, it's a LONG way out there.

A good riding buddy of mine has been raving about this place for the past 10 years. The first 5 of them I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, a desolate 95 mile road into nowhere, WTF? But alas I challenged him to make the trek and ended up beating him to it. Now I see what he's talking about. Next time I'm going with camping gear and stay there for a few days. Oh, and yeah, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon it was empty. Should'a took a dip but we were hot and hungry and ready to head back to PSR.

The main hot springs pool is just gorgeous. I was duly impressed at how well kept and nice it was. Big kudos to Lizzard Lee and the rest of the folks that come there and keep it up.

The 'kiddie area' has a nice koi pond

Pablo was there handing out beers - THANKS!! And we found some shade under the palm trees and had lunch and a beer. By now BlaiseW was getting pretty antsy since it was about 3 o'clock and we had spent the better part of the day getting there, so he wanted to get going. I don't like to split up a group, but he's a big boy (about the only other inmate older than me there. ) so I said no problem, we'll catch up to you or meet you back at PSR.

John and I headed out after awhile (and another beer) to make the long trek back to PSR. Once we got back out to Saline Valley Road and started south here comes H8chains and Loner. I guess they finally did make it out to the springs!

On the way back we stopped at the Panamint Rainbow Canyon scenic overlook. We never did catch up with BlaiseW.

Our darth peach pic...

Up next is our Friday ride, just Johngil and I, up Lippincott, Racetrack, Tea Kettle Jct, White Top Mt. and Hunter Mt. road. What a trip that was!

browneye screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 04:55 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #160
Mikey113
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
A great loop and a great group for sure. Thanks for the RR. I hope to see you guys next year.

Owyhee Ride Report click
Mikey113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #161
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by loupiote View Post
i've also been through this goler wash trail years ago, when there were no loose rocks like that.

one of my friends who went there recently told me it was easier to pass the "step" by walking the bike (rather than riding it) and playing with the clutch on the empty (much lighter) bike.

has anyone tried that technique with a 650cc or larger bike? (I have a KLR650)

the problem with those large bikes is that it's hard to get a good footing if needed, because they are quite high. a 250cc like a honda XR is perfect for this kind of trails!

it's probably much easier going down, of course, but i might try my way up next time i get there.
On a big bike, you need to start all the way down the hill at the bend where you can first see the steps. Give it some gas on the way up and go right up and over the steps. Or eat it right into the steps.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #162
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,071
Browneye's RR for Friday

I was lucky enough to find Johngil with another Husky 630 and he wanted to ride up Lippincott as a warmup for Cerro Gordo and the Salt Tram for Saturday. R3r3r's ride was pretty full and they were going the other way on the loop so we said we'd meet them half way.

We couldn't get any other riders for the 'fast group' (us ) so screw it, it was just us. Now Johngil is known as a pretty competent rider but he was gracious enough to put the old man (me ) in front to set the pace. I would consider myself an advanced to expert rider but I'm not so fast anymore. We ran at a pretty good clip today, but no matter how fast I rode there was John right on my quarter. I told him if he's gonna ride sweep like he always does then get right up on my quarter and we can each ride a track and stay out of the dust. One of the neat things about DV is everything is two-track so you can do this. He was surprised at my request because most riders get paranoid with somebody right behind them. No bother for me so we rode that way most of the day. This loop is about 140 miles.

Easy to make good time, these roads are smooth except for "Watch out for the potholes!"

We got to the Lippincot cutoff out Saline Valley Road in jig time, not stopping since PSR. Stopped for a breather and checked out the bikes, make sure we're good to go for climbing up the pass. He says there are some tough spots so just watch out.

What a climb, up and up, and in no time we were at the top. Ha! Where are those tough spots we gotta get through???

These bikes have been called 'cheater bikes' on previous big-bike rides. They make crossing this terrain a piece of cake.

Away we went to Racetrack and then a walk out to the 'Grandstands' for some shade and a bite to eat.

Obligatory photo of this legendary sign...

The road going north toward Teakettle Junction is WASHBOARDED! I was glad I was on a motorcycle and not in a truck or car.

John had been up to White Top Mt. on a previous ride but didn't get to go all the way to the end of the trail. It's a nice road about 8-9 miles in that climbs up the western range of Death Valley. As we approach the cuttoff there's R3r3r and his crew taking a breather on Hidden Valley Road. We stopped and gave salute and then continued on our trek up the canyon.

The last section has some pretty gnarly doubletrack to a razor back ridge that leaves you throwing rocks as you claw up a couple of short hills, and some severe off camber.

At trails end we scrambled up this knoll for the spectacular view. This is Death Valley, directly across from Chloride Cliffs. You can see from almost to Scotty's Castle all the way down past Stove Pipe Wells and the 190.

We found a handfull of hidden campsites up in that area, just begging for us to come back again for a camp out. It's gonna stay cool up there well into spring because it's way up there.

So that was a cool side trip, now on to Hunter Mountain Road. The big sand pit everybody was all in a tizzy about was almost solid from the rain and vehicles driving thru it. If I had not been forewarned of the obstacle I would have just missed it altogether.

Hunter Mountain Road goes up the back side of the foothills. This is a steep switchback road and the surface is actually dirt. And it was still moist. So this was our hot-dog run, lettin' them ponies loose, sliding corners, tearing it up. Traction was just unbelievable. I came up on a mud bog that was REALLY SLOPPY. I hit the brakes hard and slid sidyways to a stop and I could hear John laughing as he went by, almost doing the classic mud bath splash on your buddy.

No more pics, we just made our way over the top and back down to Saline Valley Road, on out to PSR. It was beer-o'clock so back to base camp for dinner. And boy, what a dinner. Very nice.

Up next for Saturday is the crew of husky's and light bikes to Cerro Gordo and the Salt Tram.

browneye screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 08:44 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #163
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Nice reports Browneye
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #164
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Great job, Chris! Makes me feel like I was there with you.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #165
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,595
Nice RReports all you guys.. Wish I could have ridden more, but it worked out well to help the Steele Pass group get enough fuel for their loop... and I got to do some hot water rehab

Did anyone find my truck's muffler on Saline Valley Road? I noticed it got a little louder, but I thought just the tailpipe came loose... When I got home I looked below, and nothing there, completely gone... Dang, I left trash in DV

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote