Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #31
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Great pics, Todd. Riding home was fun through the wind and decreasing temps. It got down to 47 in the Cajon pass.

I like this pic the best. Basically, all's I did was start a fire with the coals from the previous night using just an air pump. No big deal. I taught Bear Grylls that one.

Srsly though, who got that wood? That stuff burned forever. Must have been good hardwood. It was a shame we left so much but I bet the next campers will be grateful.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #32
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,463
This is living ...

Breakfast at zero dark thirty

Fudgy making fire from the previous night's embers

Gas prices in PSR

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Wink Tollhouse Firewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Srsly though, who got that wood? That stuff burned forever. Must have been good hardwood. It was a shame we left so much but I bet the next campers will be grateful.

That my friend is Tollhouse oak firewood you were burning from yours truely. If it had not been so windy on Saturday nite I'm sure more of the wood would have been burned up. I wasn't about to reload and haul it home.

Scrambleon
Scrambleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #34
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 762
joel,

do you have any pics of the heavy duty trash compactor the campground operators had to call in after the event?

that thing scared the shit out of me.
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #35
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zorrillo View Post
joel,

do you have any pics of the heavy duty trash compactor the campground operators had to call in after the event?

They should just put the trash on the inside of anywhere you try to make a turn....voila compacted trash.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
pinocono
Husky D

Oddometer: 454
Damn, it's over!

I can't believe my first n00b Rally is history. 4 days filled with riding, camping, eating, drinking, and swapping lies with friends new and newer. The brotherhood of the motorcycle builds strong bonds indeed.

My first taste of dirt on this trip was Randsburg-Mojave Rd, out of Cal City. My loaded Husky TE630 handled this quite easily, and the bike proved to be very capable and forgiving in my less than competent hands all weekend.

I rolled into PSR at about 2PM Thursday and found many open campsites. This one looked good, so the tent got pitched. Home-Sweet-Home for the next few days.

I was soon sharing the site with 2 mates, Bitwrench (Jack) and francisthepig (Robert). I've been acquainted with Robert for a few years, and his enthusiasm for the n00b Rally helped convince me to attend.
Bitwrench was great, he had a motel room Friday night and allowed me to run over there and take a nice HOT shower.

Friday morning came soon enough, and it was time to hit the road. I had signed up for GalacticGS's (Larry) n00b tour to Chloride Cliff, Beatty, Rhyolite, and Titus Canyon. It was a great group of guys of varying abilities, and those with more experience were great at helping us with less than stellar abilities. Let's not waste any time on pavemnt portion of the trip, and let's hit the dirt!

I've read a gazillion RR's on this site, and now I understand the disclamer as to why there weren't any pictures taken on the more difficult, but picturesque trail segments. I was just too busy trying to stay upright! Anyhow, here's a few pics from Chrloride Cliff:

Com'on Eric, walk across it, I double dog dare ya! He did.

If you see yourself in any these pictures, feel free to identify yourself. I'm not really good with names to begin with, and my little brain got overloaded with the sheer number of people I met this weekend.

From the Chloride Cliff vista point, it was back down the way we came up, and the plan was to take back roads in to Beatty for lunch. We ran into a little snag. We ended up on a pretty loose, gravel and sand road, and one of our group, motok, had a DR650 that decided it wanted to lead with the rear tire. Unfortunately, from what I understand, he broke a few bones in his foot. Our fearless leader, GalacticGS, took charge of the situation, and arranged for an ambulance, and went back to camp to get a truck and rescue motok's bike. Heal quickly, motok!

With GalacticGS tending to motok, Fudgypup took over as Ride Captain. Pressed for time, we took a more direct route into Beatty and had lunch at Mel's Diner. No food pictures, I ate it too fast. I think I had the French Dip sandwich, but I'd need to check my receipt to be sure. After lunch, it was a quick fill up of gas, and on to Rhyolite. I won't bore folks with too many pictures from there, you've all seen them, and I didn't break any new ground in artistic photography.

On to Titus Canyon. Easily the highlight of the day's ride, We didn't have time to lollygag (That was Duy's ride Saturday. Hi Duy!), so pictures are scarce, but the memories aren't.

I'm not a religious person, but there is something very spiritual going on in Titus Canyon. There's a presence that is difficult to put in to words.

From there it was slab back to camp, Jimmy Lewis' informative seminar, and a great dinner. The it was time for the social hour.

Saturday morning came awfully soon after an evening of too many beers and a night of not enough sleep. I jest. There's no such thing as too many beers.

I had signed up for r3r3r's (Randall) ride to Ballarat, through Goler Wash, over Mengel Pass, with a cabin to visit, and some fantastic riding on a variety of off-road surfaces. Friday night, I was really whooped, and almost talked myself out of this ride. I am so glad I didn't. These guys were great, and riding with them had me challenging myself, and growing as an off-road rider.

Here's a group shot at the start of Indian Ranch Road.

Ballarat. We didn't hang here long, just enough for the group to get back together. We had important places to go. Goler Wash.

Much has been documented about the steps in Goler Wash, and there's really not much I can add. They aren't that bad. You just need to decide you're going up them, and commit to doing just that.

Looking back down the wash from near the steps.

Shots at the steps:

We got everybody up the steps, even surferbum's (Matt) GS1200! That guy's a gamer! I rode with him both Friday and Saturday, he's great.

On to Mengel Pass, a lot of challenging (for me), but fun, sections. When we got to the top of the pass, we got a taste of the winds that would be a part of the rest of the day, and in to the night.

Down the pass we went, and headed to what I believe is Stella's Cabin for a much needed lunch break.

It took some effort to roust a few of us from the lethergy brought on by lunch, but we did get back on the bikes and headed down Butte Valley and Warm Spring Canyon to West Side Road. West Side Road was just fast, fast, fast, dusty, and did I say fast. I thought I was haulin', when r3r3r blasted by me like I was stuck in 1st gear! Randal did yeoman's duty herding his cats. He must've put on an additional 60 miles or more running back and forth to check on us stragglers.

From there it was the tar to Furnace Creek to gas up, and on back to PSR for dinner, the chance to win some great swag, and the sharing of ride stories over some beer pops.

I want to thank everybody I came in contact with for making this a fantastic event for me. From the ride leaders, to the folks that made the dinners happen, to each and every one of you that gave me encouragement and pointers, to my fellow n00bs that inspired me, thank you for a great time.

And Joel, thanks for organizing this shindig. It really is an event where the"elders" pass on their knowledge and take us n00bs under their wings, to show us the way. I've been having fun on this bike for several months now, but I am really hooked now. I had more fun than a tornado in a trailer park.

Dave
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #37
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Well, since my injury has me off the bike for a while I decided to take the Jeep and my GF. It was her first time to DV also.

We set up camp and then headed out for the Goler Wash:

Kaye and I turned the corner and saw some Nor Cal ADV riders: pcfly, dirty duane, jimmy, and jody (from MI). They just finished pushing one of their bikes up the Goler step. It took me a few attempts to get up the step (open diffs):

Once up top the riders asked if I could winch up the f800gs...

Since I had the cable out, I offered to have the remaining bikes winched up. Remember the o'l saying, "work smarter, not harder".

After the fun at the step, we bumped along the trail to Mengal Pass...

I found this rock that looked laying on its side and couldn't resist to hump it...

Mengal Pass was in good shape...

Butte Valley...

We visited Stella's Place...

The fridge was packed with provisions and the cabin was pretty clean...

Warm Springs Rd...

We slabbed it to Badwater in time before the sundown, then back to camp.

Friday we headed out to the hot springs. Saline Valley Road...

Panamint Valley from above...

Descending into Saline Valley. These panorama photos really do not do this place justice. This place is HUGE!

Saturday's plan was to visit the touristy stuff in the northeast of the park, pick up dinner in Beatty and then back to PSR. The wind was really blowing. It looked like smoke on the highway...

Ran into Eric, Diego, and Josh at Ubehebe crater. It was the windiest ever!

Check out Josh back there!

Drove up to the Titus Canyon exit, parked and hiked in...

Stopped in Rhyolite for a quick tour...

Then onto Beatty and then camp, which I did not get any pictures.

Thanks again to Joel and all the volunteers who put in all their hard work to make this rally possible.
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #38
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 245
Steel Pass Loop

Thanks again Joel for organizing another great event!

Thanks to Jim and Pablo for taking gas to the Hot Springs!

Rich, Mike, Jack, Mike, Isaac, and Steve made up the group.

Here is our group at the bottom of the steps before rounding the corner to Eueka Valley with our new 4x4 friends.

The exit of the steps looking up hill.

Eureka Dunes.

Crankshft Junction

Mike, Mike and Steve at Tea Kettle

Had a fabulous ride. Cheers mates!

'06 Husky TE 610, '93 ATK 605, 2014 R1200 GSW
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #39
Mikey113
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Talking

Thanks Jack. I am glad you were able to document "The Steel Pass Seven." Super group of guys. That was a great ride. I appreciate you and Steve keeping up with me

The Steel ride was challenging and got me ready for Goler / Mengal on Saturday. Randall (r3r3r) was equally a good ride leader. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Back in camp Josh and Keith were good company and guys I'd like to ride with in the future. Everyone I spoke with was cool - there just wasn't enough time get to know ya-all.

And then there is James. My road dog. 16 hours in a truck with him and I can't say a bad thing about him. What a relief. A rainy Tuesday night aligned the stars (or clouds) to make me decide to trailer rather than truck. The broken KTM brought three strangers, including Special Agent Nancy, together for a ride back to the bay area. Good times, no MFA's in this crowd.

Joel, Jimmy, Jim volunteers - THANK YOU!

Quick stats: truck miles - 1415, bike miles - 544, laughs - too many to count, beers - just enough, wind - FYYFW

Hope to see you all soon!

Owyhee Ride Report click

Mikey113 screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 12:37 AM Reason: Secret Agent Nancy
Mikey113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #40
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Some panoramic's and group photos until my RR is done

Here's some pano photos + others until my RR is done.

Enjoy. Here's a linky.

>
2012 Noobs Rally

From 2012 Noobs Rally

From 2012 Noobs Rally

From 2012 Noobs Rally

From 2012 Noobs Rally

From 2012 Noobs Rally
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #41
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Hey, Eran
hey, Cat! sorry i missed this one, but we were in Florida at a family wedding (and Harry Potter World). so cool to hear that Jimmy Lewis showed up. did you attend his mini riding lesson?

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #42
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambleon View Post
That my friend is Tollhouse oak firewood you were burning from yours truely. If it had not been so windy on Saturday nite I'm sure more of the wood would have been burned up. I wasn't about to reload and haul it home.

Scrambleon

josh (scrambleon) standing on the weekend's left over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Slug View Post
hey, Cat! sorry i missed this one, but we were in Florida at a family wedding (and Harry Potter World). so cool to hear that Jimmy Lewis showed up. did you attend his mini riding lesson?

eran, i sent you a PM and will need your expertise regardimg.....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #43
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zorrillo View Post
joel,

yes, the garbage truck came afterwards.....way too late!

anyway, we talked about PACK IT IN and PACK IT OUT....didn't work very well, in spite of PSR adding another dumpster. last year, the birds tore the trash bags and the strong wind blew the trash all over the place. someone wasn't very happy picking up our trash.

to avoid a repeat...jon brought the a-team
.....who

who needs a stinking gasoline powered truck compactor, when we have you guys........

this one for next year.........
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #44
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Briggs Mine

Found this site on the Briggs gold mine near Ballarat.

Cool video too.

Imagine $382 Million in mined gold.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #45
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Stellar pics and stories this year~!

So awesome seeing actual n00bs doing awesome rides! All the wenching and training helped, I'm sure.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote