User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #136
loupiote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Joel,

thanks again for inviting us for dinner at Panamint Springs!

it was nice to meet you guys. i'll post more photos of the posse we saw in saline valley on thursday (fixing the KTM front tire).

unfortunately we had to leave on saturday, so we couldn't come back for the raffle / party night. we had crazy wind on the road, with sand storm (so much sand flying on the road that visibility was zero!), near olancha. wow! made it back to SF with strong head winds all the way.

loupiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #137
Vermon
not gnarly

Oddometer: 300
oooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
In reviewing the over 48gig of video I shot during the DV rally, I'm choosing to present this little snippet of video first...

This took place Saturday morning. Tim (TBarstow) was leading the ride and was looking for the turn-off. He suddenly slammed on his brakes and I nearly ran into him. I proceeded up the road a bit and waited to hang a u-turn. When I did, I did not execute the turn as well as I expected and ended up on my back...

yikes... smack dab in the middle of the road...

Pavement Grimlin ...hate that somesabitch
Vermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #138
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,228
saturday night festivity

after dinner....the raffle and give aways. thanks to all the supporters, we got so much goodies, it will be hard to top this one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post17662829

commemorative glasses...4 years in a row....

let the raffle begins

jimmy (middle) did an awesome job being the emcee.... crw going home with that karma tequila

andy receiving 1 of the two $300 gift certificate from jimmy

rich first of the many prizes he'll win

what the heck.....

blitz.....

thanks roberta for all the help and support

cory claiming his $50 gift certificate

sycyl batt for rich

the youngest rider award goes to justin.......

double take mirrors for leo

the noobiest of the noobs...blitz first dirt ride

the "lost" award, well, they claimed they were not lost, but stuck...

damn, rob you should bought lotto tickets instead

matt happy as always

the most unique gift....trasharoo, a jeep back pack

$100 gift certificate for isaac from big todd

rich won the $200 gift certificate from lior

and the final prize goes to...............

and the crowd awaits

the garmin montana goes to peter (the grinch)...

what a fun weekend, you guys are all great! thank you all.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #139
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermon View Post
yikes... smack dab in the middle of the road...

Pavement Grimlin ...hate that somesabitch
I blame it on gravity; not just a good idea, but the LAW!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #140
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
the "lost" award, well, they claimed they were not lost, but stuck...
I was found because of my Spot Messenger... If anyone was wondering about the cost benefit of this device, this proves it. I spent over 5 hours in the desert at night but would have been there for much longer without it.

Thanks again to the guys who came and got me and to RobG and Cowgirl for their willingness to go and get help.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #141
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
I'm bound to improve someday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
Someday, maybe I can zip up to the lookout at Chloride Cliffs as if it were a smooth and level fire road and ride down as if it were a piece of cake. I turned off the camera before luv2race (John) raced up to the lookout, but here's his decent. The camera angle does not do justice to the actual grade...

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #142
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,213
Saturday Pics

On Saturday, Joel, Ersin and I rode the DV South Loop east to west.

So we were riding west on Warm Springs Road from West Side Road...

Joel - Riding the 690

Ersin on the 990 is following

Joel

Ersin

At the Geologist Cabin

Joel deciding which way to go down Goler

And decides to go down the rocks (on the right side heading down)

It was a great ride. Going east to west gets through all the boring pavement and West Side Road early, and leaves the rest of the day with fun riding!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #143
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
Larry,

Thanks for posting the evidence of Joel doing the "Harley Waddle" and standing up like he is doing a squat. I'll work on fixing him when he comes to school.

Looks like the group as a whole got to go to some pretty neat places and come back safely, which is always a bonus. I was pretty cool to see such a wide range of bikes out there as well. I'm sure I'll run into a lot of you guys out on the trail.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #144
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,213
Jimmy,

Thanks for your continued support for ADV Riders (especially the March Madness Rally)!

I'm sure Joel will appreciate some additional coaching. I'm hoping to take another class with you this fall.

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #145
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Larry,

Thanks for posting the evidence of Joel doing the "Harley Waddle" and standing up like he is doing a squat. I'll work on fixing him when he comes to school.

Looks like the group as a whole got to go to some pretty neat places and come back safely, which is always a bonus. I was pretty cool to see such a wide range of bikes out there as well. I'm sure I'll run into a lot of you guys out on the trail.

JIMMY
jimmy, going down on goler got my knees shaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Jimmy,

Thanks for your continued support for ADV Riders (especially the March Madness Rally)!

I'm sure Joel will appreciate some additional coaching. I'm hoping to take another class with you this fall.

same here....larry and i will see you this fall

and mark your calendar next year...end of march.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #146
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Jimmy,

larry, i remember you and i reviewed how to go down the steps.....butt above the rear wheel, lean as far back, arms straight and stay loose.

just didn't happen...should have been like these....

one of the drills i need to constantly remember....need to find some hills this coming weekend.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #147
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
I was found because of my Spot Messenger... If anyone was wondering about the cost benefit of this device, this proves it. I spent over 5 hours in the desert at night but would have been there for much longer without it.

Thanks again to the guys who came and got me and to RobG and Cowgirl for their willingness to go and get help.
And that I had the SPOT Shared Pages app on my iPhone with your link in it AND that the spotty wi-fi at the camp decided to actually work. AND that there were those who then rallied to the cause. Great group of PPs.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #148
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,867
We ought to plan an LA day at Jimmy Lewis! Let me know when, lord knows I need more training,

Jimmy, thank you the first lesson suck pretty good. Lippencott was not that scary!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #149
loupiote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
On Saline valley road:

Joel, thanks again for the dinner and the night at Panamint Springs!

-- Tristan (and Sharon) - with the old KLR 650 loaded like a mule!

loupiote screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 03:34 PM
loupiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #150
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Friday's Steele Pass Loop (3/30)

My buddy michael.brat/Mike and I drove up Thursday night from LA, ready to roll Friday morning. Friday's ride was the large Steele Pass loop set up by jarthur/Jack, as seen in the below GPS tracks. On this ride we have 7 inmates total:
jarthur/Jack
Bitwrench/Jackson
isaac004/Isaac
michael.brat/Mike
mikey113/Mike
steveoh/Steve
TwoWheelsGood/Rich

Also, on the photos, you can click on any of my photos to get linked to the original large size. You can also find them all posted here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_e...7629386735258/

The GPS tracks, run clockwise.

Only the best sleeping accommodations thanks to Subaru.

Heading up Saline Valley Road towards South Pass.

Looking back towards Panamint Valley from South Pass.

Blasting down Saline Valley Road with steveoh/Steve in tow, now in Saline Valley.

The crew pulls up for a regroup, with steveoh/Steve and Bitwrench/Jackson and others. This is where I was a bit puzzled, as I thought I was in the last part of the group of 7. Turns out I was number 3 in formation, and was quite surprised when all the bikes pulled up behind me.

TwoWheelsGood/Rich leads the way to a land of old guys wearing nothing but t-shirts, as well as spafixer/Jim's fuel truck. Lucky for us, Jim kept his clothes on.

An oasis of fuel and warm water in the middle of Saline Valley. Thanks Jim!!!

Heading up Steele Pass.

mikey113/Mike heading up Steele Pass. We did a short regroup here as Mike had a small but otherwise insignificant spill. The only issue was his bike ran rough for some odd reason after the spill, but eventually cleared itself out.

One more coming up Steele Pass.

A small regroup, minus Rich who was blasting like a rocket ship, scoping out our lunch stop. Left to right, Mike, Jack, Mike, Jackson, and Steve.

steveoh/Steve getting ready to drop down into Eureka Valley.

steveoh/Steve riding down to the Eureka Valley Sand Dunes. As you come down a few rock steps and out of the canyon from the top of Steele Pass into Eureka Valley, you are greeted by the peaks of sand dunes which create much excitement.

Stopped to grab another shot. Apparently these are some of the tallest dunes in America, at 600 feet above surrounding grade. Also to add to the excitement was a few fighter jets flying overhead. Commenting on the sand here, this is the toughest sand I have ridden in so far. Something about it is much lighter and fluffier than any other sand I have ridden in thus far, as I struggled to keep the bike upright. I know this is nothing compared to the infamous silt beds, but still!

Blasting up towards The Crater on the west side, on what I believe is Eureka Valley/Death Valley Road.

Another shot west of The Crater, looking back at Bitwrench/Jackson and crew.

Getting closer to The Crater with Bitwrench/Jackson, which is all I see it marked as on any map I look at. I thought I would be greeted by some magnificent overlook and view, but apparently The Crater is truly large enough that I doubt you can see much of the vastness unless you are in an airplane or find just the right peak. I'm not so sure on that however, as the more I search about The Crater, the more I see it referenced as Crater Mine, an old sulfur mining location that is now defunct after an explosion in 1941 and the start of WW2. Some more info: http://mojavedesert.net/desert-fever...nce-range.html

The vastness continues on as we head east away from The Crater and Crankshaft Junction.

michael.brat/Mike before he leaves me in the dust. In the headwinds, the poor WR250R can't keep up with the big 650 singles.

Regroup at Death Valley Road and Ubehebe Crater Road, just west of Scottys Castle Rd. At this point we were deciding if we would loop back using Hunter Mountain or Lippincott Pass. Due to the fact that Hunter Mountain is usually snowed in this time of year, most agreed that Hunter Mountain would be the best choice due to the moment of opportunity.

While the rest continued on to Tea Kettle Junction, michael.brat/Mike and I took a few minutes to check out Ubehebe Crater.

Some interesting findings on the crater, one of which is that the crater is believed to be as young as 800 years old, the result of a rising magma chamber hitting the water table. The result is a very large steam explosion.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0123152516.htm

michael.brat/Mike and I stop for a photo, with the wind blowing hard.

We stop at Tea Kettle Junction for a quick rest and to snap a few photos. Here I am on the back side of the sign. At this point Rich and a few others went off to the Racetrack to check that out quickly.

I forgot to take a photo of the front side of the Tea Kettles and the sign, probably due to all the ugly ADV'ers and their bikes behind me.

Heading up Hunter Mountain.

More of the view on Hunter.

michael.brat/Mike and some of the mud we encountered.

Snow!!!!

Back to the view of Panamint Valley from South Pass.

Blasting back down Saline Valley Road towards 190.

The March 2012 pinup photo of Sexy ADV Desert Riders.

All in all this was a great loop, one that I would love to ride again. Turns out Jimmy Lewis ran this loop backwards solo on Saturday. It's a great view of the northern half of the park, and not overly hard, just a long day in the seat. The vastness and isolation of this desert always amazes me. Thanks to Jack for leading this great loop, and thanks to everyone on the loop for an enjoyable ride. Everyone ended up being pretty well matched in riding pace, and we made it back to camp with plenty of light to spare and no broken bike or body parts.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote