User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,568
N00B Ride Report

So this year the planned trips both out and while there got thrown to the four winds once the ride actually got started.

Met up Thursday morning with Luv2Race in Glendora. We headed out and decided to mix things up a bit on the way out so we started our ride with a quick jaunt up

Cleghorn to get around the Cohon Pass, avoiding the 15 stretch through the pass. This got us warmed up and was a good shake down ride for him since this was his first time taking the 990 out fully loaded with gear for the weekend.

Here we had just come out on 138 to take a break.

Originally we were planning to take the escape route on our way into camp but circumstances prevented that from happening so we just continued up the road after getting back to pavement and continued on our way to Camp. We rolled into camp around 3:30 and set about setting up camp.

I was bunking with RobG but he was nowhere to be found (there is a story here) and the RV was locked. Meanwhile I kept hearing this whining sound coming from the tent next to his RV. Turned out Joe was locked in the tent and it was getting hot in there. I let him out and took the poor guy across the street for a drink and to get some shade. The owner what no-where to be found (remember the story I mentioned well it plays into this situation).

Joe

So I just lounged around camp and waited for Rob to return...
and waited...and waited..till about 8:30

It was then determined that Rob was out on a ride with Cowgirl and Macadamia, and Macadamia had not mover for 1.5 hours, at the base of Lippencott on Saline Valley. It was then determined that we had to go investigate so two trucks were deployed.

Bob (lonestar2112), Dave (DSM8), and John (JNYRAV)

It took two hours to get to his location, passing Rob and Cowgirl on the way in they told us he was waiting and so we just kept going. Finally found his and the bike, turned out it was a loose positive batt cable

Bike loaded in the truck (photo thanks to Macadamia)

The drive out was brutal we finally got back to camp after 2:30 by that time I had been up almost 20 hours. This contributed to the breakdown of plans for the ride on

Friday.

Next morning saw the aftermath of the ride on Cowgirls bike....

FRIDAY LOOP

So woke up on Friday after a very long day and short night of sleep. I was beat and Rob was too from being out riding all day as well. He got back at 1:30. Since the original plan for that day was going to be a 250 mile ride we decided instead to do the Escape route which was the original plan when coming in on Friday.

Luv2Race, RobG and I headed out bout 10:30 and rode down to Trona to pick up the entry point for the ride, the plan was Escape route, Ballarat, Charcole Kilns to the top then back to camp.

Here are the three of us getting started on the loop...

RobG scoping out the ride ahead.

While along the way to Ballarat the O2 sensor plug blew out on the header pipe of the bike so out in the middle of the sand wash we had to implement a repair, I don't have any pics but I know a few will be coming, it was a real bitch and due to the hole facing the inside of the tank, running it without the plug was not an option, it would have melted the gas tank.

We then decided to head out to Telescope peak past the Kilns. Easy ride on dirt the to Wildrose. Not much excitement but it was a good way to end the ride.

At that altitude hiking took its toll.

But the view was worth it.

We stopped at the kilns for obligatory photos.

Luv2race

RobG

So we get back to camp in time to catch the natives gettin frisky and a riding presentation was taking place as well.

Then people lined up for dinner

Ended the evening with a great view...good way to end day 1

SATURDAY LOOP

Next day the plan was Hunter Mountain - Racetrack - Lippencott

Part way up there was a get off the rider was luckily unhurt but had a pretty good blow to the elbow which put him out of commission he decided to be safe and turned back to camp.

Tank pretty good indicator of the hit he took.

The crew:

RobG (Robert) KLX250 (not in pic)
Lonestar2112 (Bob) XR650L
RWG65 (Ron) XR400
Dainbramage (Dain) DRZ400
Azsimpson (Christer) WR250
Big dude in jacket is Steve don't know his screen name, he was on the Beta.

Coming up Saline Valley this was the fun part flat and fast.

Hit some pretty good mud holes up on top of the mountain..

No one was willing to try riding through it though...

We made a side trip to the cabin.

There was some bear marks on a tree as well

From there we went out to tea kettle junction. Found the infamous silt bed.

Everyone made it through...for the most part (fall was not riding related).

The junction

And where did this come from?

We headed out to the race track, wind was so bad we had a dust brown out for a good distance while riding past the grand stand. We stopped on the far side to get some pics of the racing rocks.

From there we headed out to Lippencott. Myself and another rider went ahead and after a while were wondering what was taking them so long. Turned out one of the ADV folk showed up in a truck after we left and they had a beer. And didn't even think to bring one back for either of us...bastards..

Lippencott..

Made in back to camp in time for dinner and raffle. The wind was really picking up and it got damn cold. No pics of that part of the evening, battery was dead in the camera by then.

TOTAL STATS

DSM8 screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 09:34 PM
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Don't know when I'll get time to write up a report, but here are a few photos from the trip.

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...view=slideshow

John, some of these photos are art quality. Fantastic! They need to get posted into the thread.

Proof here that photo success is more the photographer than the camera.

Like this one...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476

RobG (Robert) KLX250 (not in pic)
Lonestar2112 (Bob) XR650L
RWG65 (Ron) XR400
Dainbramage (Dain) DRZ400
Azsimpson (Christer) WR250
Big dude in jacket is Jeff don't know his screen name, jendean he was on the Beta 520.

Fixt
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Clydascope
What's Inyo Belly?

Oddometer: 285
never made it to panamint springs but ran into this gang of n00bs on hunter mountain road

Clydascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
n00bs in Ballarat

I'll have more later but wanted to put up this video of our ride that Lost Rider led us on yesterday (Sunday).

We headed out of PSR at about 9:15 and went down the east side of the dry lake in Panamint Valley headed towards Ballarat. Lots of fun terrain including some deep sand here and there, which everyone seemed to manage okay with a little bit of help.

fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
So I brought my wife and kid so this is a ride n drive report.

We left Thursday and seen this sick adventure bike.

But before that we loaded the truck. Stroller, dump truck, there's also the fastest dr650 hidden in there also.

Coming into the panamint valley, we got buzzed by two f-18s

They were so low I was flashing my brights at them while yelling at my wife to get a picture.

Sunrise came early Friday since my son wakes up at 615 every morning.

On Friday pointman took us on a ride to Cerro Gordo.

After Cerro Gordo we went over the backside towards saline valley road, did hunter mountain towards tea kettle junction. Lunch at tea kettle and a Hebrew lesson. We then went down lippencott pass. DannyG got a front flat at the bottom but it only delayed us 20 minutes. Fridays mileage was 149 miles.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
On saturday we went for the panamint cabin tour. we saw 3 or 4 cabins. first we went up to briggs cabin. we went up the front side which was really rocky and technical, also the wind was blowing 50kts, at least it blew the dust away. I didnt take any pictures on the way or on the way back. only this video of the cabin, which is so hidden away that there is no way any noobs could even get there. while we were there a couple of jeeps pulled in coming from the trail above, so i was thinking the hard part was over. boy was i wrong! lets just say its instant death if you go off the trail. it was really crazy and impressive at the same time. at the top there was hidden meadows and a few more cabins. i think we did 90 miles that day but they were really hard and technical. at the top there was a really steep hill climb with about an 80 mph crosswind that almost blew over dannyG and blew over Finn on the husaberg, i made it all the way too the top and looked back and saw everyone turning around. so i crept back down. probably the hardest trail ive ridden the DR-650 up so far. we went out suprise cabin then back to psr where i showered and loaded up and went home saturday night. really fun trip, thanks to everyone who made it fun. heres the only pic/vid from saturday

Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,870
Thumb

Here is my RR for 2012 DV noob's Rally.

I was the last one to leave for DV as usual. Worked until 5:00pm and left at 5:00:01 sharp.
Unfortunately I had to go through 5 Fwy all the way to 2 and then Angeles Crest. Since we took it last year for Kennedy Meadows with Rich (M1Jeep), I never take 5 to 14 anymore. It saves about 20 miles but more importantly it is a great ride.

5 Fwy

Going to Angeles Crest

Last DV trip I took 395 all the way up to Olanca and catch 190 from there but this time I rode through Trona. The road was dark and lonely...

But the weather was surprisingly warm. And not windy. So it was a very nice ride for me. When I finally arrive at the camp it was little after 9:00pm. I said hi to friends and checked in to my suite.
I was reading posts from camp until 5pm so I heard about Prakesh's little accident. I found him by the fire with Diego (Perro From Hell) and Eric (Fudgypup).
He wasn't in a bad mood at all.

Saturday morning every body was ready to ride/drive.
Rich (M1Jeep) was driving his "armor" this time due to a freak accident messed up his knee last month at CNF.

Eric is getting ready for his ride while John is taking Prakesh and his bike back to LA in his truck on the background.

Joel's new van: apparently he took off my poster from it.

Most beautiiful bike in the camp. And check out the tent on top of that truck...

Pete (Grinch), Nancy (Izzyblue) & Finn (LostRider) having their morning coffee at the restaurant. Grinch looks very happy, probably he knew that he was gonna win the big prize (Garmin Montana) tonight.

Our 10 rider Saturday group was down to 3 by 9:00am Saturday morning , Larry (GalacticGS), Joel and me. We took pavement to Furnace Creek for breakfast and met Super Suz at the restaurant. She was riding her street bike this time.

190 was windy as hell. Then we took West Side Road and it was windy as well. So we were fighting with wind all the way to Warm Springs Road.
Warm Springs Road was very very rocky. It is a good thing that I didn't air down at all. So for the first time in DV, no flats at all.
Joel is taking a break from rough rocky trail.

He asked me to take a picture first before helping him up.

We made it to Geologist cabin around 1:00pm.

Scenery was breathtaking as usual.

Our ride leader Larry. He is faaasssttt oh his small bike......

We made it up to Mengel Pass with out an issue. Boulders on that hill was placed comfortably to navigate around. Met Lior and Moshe at the top. They were low on fuel so Joel helped them out. I dont know how much he charged them per gallon...

Sito and Moshe had some fun on that steep hill looking for a short cut to cabins.

Joel is riding through one of many rock gardens on the way to Golar.

Unlike me, Joel choose the right line for the steps and made is just fine.

Here is the proof:

Ballarat:

Defender of the town:

Father & Son (I assume). I dont have the names, sorry.

Heading back to camp after a long and tiring ride. Thanks alot Larry for leading.

We were back at the camp before 4:00pm and Eric (Fudgypup) invited me for a short ride to Darvin.
Diego (Perro From Hell)

That place is just dead... I dont know what people are doing there? Any idea???

Commander Fudgypup

Diego on his 990R

And Josh.

Back at the camp, Todd and Eric. Twin towers:

Saturday night was extremely windy. If it wasn't the little hope for winning a bottle of Karma, I wouldn't be standing there freezing my ass off... Raffle and the presentation was hilarious thanks to 1224R.

Sunday morning everybody was getting ready to get back. Joel decided to try Macademia's Beemer, he was missing something...

Duy figured it out soon, about 6 to 8 inches...

Big guns are loading their bikes into their bedroom/livingroom/kithcen/garage = trailer

There is a little boy sandwiched between his dad and camping gear, probably around 5 years-old.

Following Duy towards Trona:

And John (Luv2Race) following me:

Bye bye beautiful. See you soon.

I hope you made it all the way to here. I know it was a long report. More pictures are on my SmugMug. Videos are coming...
That is my RR for this years noob's rally. Thanks again to Joel and all the volunteers, and also all the riders that made this possible. Hope to see you next year.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube

FYYFF screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 12:52 PM
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Thanks for a great time, everyone.

Great pics and stories! Some of the adventures that happened at DV had a price to pay. Hopefully they are all recoverable. The one story about the dog named Joe that was in the tent, that's a sad story but with an ending that turned out ok. I tell you what. It was so good to see Cathy Sopascat and friends having a blast laughing their heads off on Sat night. It was so nice to see the regulars having fun together. Many ADV people have been hanging out together for years now and those folks seemed to have no problem with inviting the n00bs to have fun with them both at camp and on the trail. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'll have some videos soon. Rode through the wind and rain and cold on Sunday. But it was all well worth it!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 02:13 PM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Fudgypup's ride report

(edit: more pics to come shortly)

side shot

rear shot

I'm not the best ride report writer. I'm known more for the first one to post pics and video, or for stupid comments.

I'll just start by mentioning a few things that really stand out the most for me.

Distance: 920 miles for me. 440 were there and back so that leaves 480 of fun. The GSA handled all that very well.

fudgypup 2.0 Got the Klim Dakar pants with what turned out to be the wrong pullover. Thought I was getting the one that breathed.

Weather: Unbelievable weather (aside from the high winds on Saturday). It was tshirt weather at night and got only to about 92 on the valley floors.

plush accommodations at camp PSR

The stars never cease to amaze me. You can clearly see the milky way as well as the planets. At sunset the bats came out and kept us pretty much bug-free. If you looked really hard at the night sky, you could even see fireworks! If only that PSR guy was as passionate about providing us with hot water showers as he was fireworks, PSR would have been perfect. Can't forget the fighter jets buzzing the valley either. I'm glad that everyone I spoke to thought that was cool and not an annoyance. 60% of the time they give me goose bumps every time.

Technology: The iPhone continues to amaze. Even with the spotty wi-fi, I was able to locate Macadamia on Thu night once Spafxer told me he and the other two were missing. We went straight there. Well, by "we" I mean other people actually. That was really cool to see fellow inmates muster a search operation. Many continued thanks and extra point to you guys for stepping up. It won't be forgotten.

Scenery. It's really impossible to describe, let alone capture in a photo or video. The sense of scale is incredible. You see valleys that stretch off into the distance for 40-50 miles; moutain ranges lit up by the late afternoon or early morning light, vast stretches of untouched desert. We took Hunter Mountain over to Teakettle, etc... and once we turned right onto that trail it was like stepping into another magical world. And to think just over a year ago I thought "why the hell would ANYONE ever want to visit a place called Death Valley?" One of my fellow riders said that on two occaisions the scenery brought him to tears. I was blown away at hearing that not just because he'd admit it (it's okay), but that I too had done the same thing last year at the moment I realized I was about to see the Grand Canyon for the first time.

BIG mountains

BIG sunsets

Terrain: The riding terrain was so nice. A huge diversity that makes you glad you went. I'm starting to even get bored of the same old stuff, which makes going to DV such a great experience. There were some sucky sections but those were just boring or tedious than super difficult. The ride we started Thur (and finished Saturday) from PSR to Darwin was really not that exciting. A good warm up maybe. The road from Teakettle Junction to Ubehebe would have been awesome for a big bike like mine if it weren't so washboarded. Other than that, it was all good. Even Sunday's ride that was supposed to be an easy and short ride through Panamint Valley turned out to have the most fun terrain. We had these fun small washouts that were fun for me to practice lofting my front wheel over. There were great high speed graded roads. Really fun single track with not too many whoops. And of course, SAND. This new suspension and 21" front wheel has really made a world of difference. I only fell once all weekend and that was the deep sand Sunday that had the turn it. I had to slow down and that's when I lost it.

Beer: Brought my own growlers and that seemed to go over well. PSR has probably the best beer selection I've ever seen. It's notable really for the QUALITY of beers they have available. Hard to find in a more populated area let alone Death Valley. This was just their bottled beer. Their tap handles was where the really good stuff was.

ms. fudgypup tagged along and did her own tour of the sights w/Mrs. TheRider and Mini-Me TheRider. Word has it there was a bit of leg-humping going on when I was gone. Easy guys, she's taken. :)

Fran: My gf, who's never been camping before IN HER LIFE chose to come with me. She was a trooper and had her own adventures. At times it was a bit much, but she was committed and had a great attitude. She said she met a lot of great people and enjoyed herself. She got to see more of DV with Mrs. TheRider and Mini-Me TheRider. They went to Scotty's Castle, Stovepipe, Furnace Creek, Dante's View, Badwater, etc... Having someone like that want to come be a part of a weekend like this is priceless. Tell your significant others that they should come to more of these things.

Perro from Hell: Diego and I rode up together and did most of the same rides. He's getting a lot more capable on that KTM very quickly. After a particularly good section, wait for him to give his signature Colombian exclamation. At one point I looked back at him and saw the biggest grin on his face. I think he was having a really good time.

MotoK: This was Prakash's second time on the dirt on his brand new Suzuki 650. These trails can seem like quite a lot to handle for a n00b, and unfortunately one of them turned out that way for his foot. We turned right off Chloride Cliff Rd or something and had this 5 mile long stretch of medium to deep sand. I had to stop about half way simply because I was exhausted. I looked back and saw that he had fallen. We got him off to the ER and they fixed him up. HUGE thanks again to GalacticGS and Libratrades for getting Prakash and his bike back to camp and Jnyrav for hauling him home. I hope we see you back again soon. We'll have to get you out to see Jimmy Lewis. Key lesson here I think is don't wear street boots offroad. You really need that foot/ankle protection.

I met a lot of other really great inmates. Josh, Surferbum, SeniorPeligro, BigToad, LostRider, IzzyBlue, Cowgirl, etc... Too many to count.

Rides: Got there Thur around lunch time. Set up camp then went for a short ride from PSR up the Old Toll Rd headed to Darwin. We took a right instead of a left at the sand wash and ended up at a dead end at a place called China Gardens Spring.

Friday was GalacticGS's ride to Chloride Cliffs, Beatty, Rhyolite, Titus Canyon. Our injury delay had us cut out a section but it was still great.

Saturday's Pointman ride fizzled out (not sure why?) so Perro from Hell, Josh and I planned our own ride. We all wanted to see the Racetrack Playa but we cut out the Cerro Gordo part. We went up 190 to Saline Valley Rd, then Hunter Mountain and down to Teakettle, then Racetrack and back past Teakettle up to Ubehebe Crater. We slabbed it back to Stovepipe because the others were low on gas. I gassed up in December, so I was still good.

See, that's funny because I ride a GSA... that has an 8.7 gallon tank... that I don't need to fill up as much. (ha ha, nevermind)

Sunday's ride was led by LostRider and IzzyBlue. Went down 190 east just past the dry lake bed of Panamint Valley and headed down that two track towards Ballarat. Ron was on his KTM and had a bad get off after hitting a washout the wrong way. He hurt his wrist so LostRider did some field dressing and we sent him back with MNCherryinCA, who had a worsening clutch situation. Ron, please let us know what ended up with the wrist.

The video I posted above is of our stop at Ballarat.

I didn't take a whole lot of pics this time because my camera typically is tethered to my jacket and I ended up riding with the vest this time instead. I ended up taking more video so here it is.

Disclaimer: this image on the intro is not the official DV n00bs logo. I don't want to undermine John's hard work and artistic talent. Diego's a graphic artist too and I just liked the look of it for my own sake. It's not like this is some copyrighted for-profit enterprise; just a bunch of amateurs who like to ride. Down here in OC you can't pass a street sign that doesn't have some guy's sticker on it with is cool design he wants to show off.

fudgypup screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 02:49 PM Reason: added pics
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
airborndad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
Great pics and stories! Some of the adventures that happened at DV had a price to pay. Hopefully they are all recoverable. The one story about the dog named Joe that was in the tent, that's a sad story but with an ending that turned out ok.
I don't think (didn't hear him) Joe the dog was in there Saturday when I found the tent on top of the cactus,
I pulled the tent off the cactus and pointed it in line with the wind direction
then I took the top off of the mangled EZ-UP frame because it looked like it was really close to launching into RobG's trailer
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Here is my RR for 2012 DV noob's Rally.

Joel is taking a break from rough rocky trail.

He asked me to take a picture first before helping him up.
hahaha....don't think this one belongs here, told everyone i didn't drop the bike....

right leg got pinned on the berm, could not get out.
thanks ersin for the rescue.

lots of good pics been posted and thanks, we have more coming...as usual, i have over 1000 pics.....

NSFW screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 08:15 PM
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Slug View Post
Hey, Eran
Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,323
What a great weekend and especially for my first DV Noobs Rally and first time to DV. Riding in from Trona road I almost blew the first turn dropping into the valley because I was so surprised by the view. Didn't get into PSR unitl about 12:30 Friday which put me and Bob (MNcherryinCA) out in the back of the campground, but that proved to be great as it was super quiet and we had an amazing view.

Our site

our view

Friday night Jimmy Lewis demo; "this is how you should ride over a little rock"

Joel and Jimmy

Saturday was a great ride led my TBarstow and it was a nice tight group and good mix of riders. First stop was Choloride Cliffs

"One small step for man, one giant leap for ADV" - TBarstoiw

bigtoad meets bigtodd

Yes folks, John (luv2race) did take his 990 right to the edge of the look out .... SKILLS!

I think coming down was more impressive, that was not easy ... and he didn't want to do it again for vid

Master Chief?

Second half the of the day was in Titus Canyon. For my first time, I can only say AMAZING. Tim's suggestion of coasting down the canyon was great and made it that much more enjoyable.

it begins

the guys

Bob and Tim

Sunday LostRider led a fun relaxed ride around Pennamint Valley. We planned to check out some cabins but called it short ... was a great ride and easy cruise on the big red beast.

stopped at Ballarat for a cold one with Rocky, bikes out front

Finn is a great guy and a super ambassador for the sport ... Love the LOST decal on his helmet

See all the pics here: http://photobucket.com/2012_noobs_dv

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote