Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
To appropriate one of Dakez' taglines... "If you ain't having fun on an RD, you ain't doing it right!"

They are crude in every sense of the word when compared to a modern sportbike. If you are the type that will need to compare them to a modern sportbike, owning one is probably not for you.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #32
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
I had an RD250 when I was seventeen, somehow I survived, that bike was capable of taking on 650s and beating them, the 350 is even more of the same, then they made the liquid cooled ones which were even better, good bikes, perhaps a little dated now but real giantkillers in the day.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #33
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
What's my thoughts on an RD350? More exciting than a weekend at The Ritz with a gorgeous hooker and the big bottle of little blue pills on someone else's dime. Sans protection.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #34
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
I recall a nightmarish group ride (setting out for Bathurst) with a couple of Two-stroke Twins in the group. What the use of riding a Moto Guzzi with a 25lt fuel tank in company with riders who are going to be stopping for fuel every 160km?

The group fairly soon split into two.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #35
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Stopping for fuel every 160kms sounds good to me!
Afterall that is 100 miles... nice to stretch the legs,grab a drink or take a whiz.

You know, there is an old saying, somthing like: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow and that could never be truer.
Besides 99% of the people responding 'how slow' an old RD350 is couldn't begin to ride it at its limit.

In fact, sadly, I'm willing to bet 90% of the posters on this site have never twisted the throttle on a two-stroker, and quite frankly have no clue what they're talking about. It's a completely different experience coming onto the powerband than any 4 stroke.

Regardless, it's my experience that most who own an old smoker do so for a variety of reasons. Maybe it's a chance to relive your youth or to ride a bike once out of reach, or maybe you like wrenching on your own ride and there is nothing easier than a 2 stroke. Or maybe you like the frenetic power deliver when it hits, or the distinctive sound. Or maybe you like hitting the throttle in town and being able to keep it under mach1. Or how about embarrassing mega cruisers or smaller sportbikes from light to light. Or power wheelies in first and second. Or maybe just the smell of castrol... lol
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #36
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
90% of the posters on this site have never twisted the throttle on a two-stroker, and quite frankly have no clue what they're talking about. It's a completely different experience coming onto the powerband than any 4 stroke.
l
Actually todays screaming inline 4s act just like those peaky 2 strokes of yesteryear.. A lot more drama at the top now than then. And they rev much higher.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
Actually todays screaming inline 4s act just like those peaky 2 strokes of yesteryear.. A lot more drama at the top now than then. And they rev much higher.
Yeah but you don't have to worry about valve adjustments on a 2t or a $2,000 rebuild.

And their might be as you say a little more drama at top end (compared to a 35 year old 350) but no where near what you get on a newer 250 Aprilla! They didn't win the last 12 successive championships jsut because they sound good.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #38
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

double post...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #39
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

triple post...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #40
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

quadruple post.... wtf
Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #41
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Afterall that is 100 miles... nice to stretch the legs,grab a drink or take a whiz.

You know, there is an old saying, somthing like: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow and that could never be truer.
Besides 99% of the people responding 'how slow' an old RD350 is couldn't begin to ride it at its limit.

In fact, sadly, I'm willing to bet 90% of the posters on this site have never twisted the throttle on a two-stroker, and quite frankly have no clue what they're talking about. It's a completely different experience coming onto the powerband than any 4 stroke.
Then there are some of us that spent literally hours sitting on one at wide open throttle.

You can grind the footpeg rubbers down to nubs in well under an hour at racing speeds. That's how you knew you were right at the limit. The pegs would ride up and down with road imperfections. The only thing that saved them is that you run out of ground clearance before you can grind them completely away. You haven't lived until you feel the footpeg mount that runs under the exhaust hit the ground hard and you still need more lean angle to make it through a corner that you're already committed to. Those are oh shit! moments you'll never forget.

Everyone should ride one hard at least one time, just like everyone should have at least one slutty GF in high school. If you take advantage of it you'll be better prepared for what you run across later...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #42
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:

If its a vibrator, maybe. My Guzzi was fairly smooth and I once rode for 5 hours straight - - - no stopping, except for two red lights until I had to re-fuel. Sometimes one just wants to get to the destination, while sometimes one can want to wander around. BTW, I was fairly busting for a leak at that fueling station!

Quote:
. . .

NOT every Two-Stroke! My second and third motorcycles were European-built Two-Stroke singles (CZ125 & H-D Aeromachi M65) and my first FOUR-Speed Gearboxes if I remember correctly. Pet-Oil mix at 10%!

What I do recall, upon returning to Four-Strokes, was that I could once again ride from A to B without stopping midway to swap (out) a fouled plug with a clean one.

I think that I'm completely past Two-Strokes --- even my Brush Cutter hasn't had much use for a long time. Hate that sound - motors should exhaust through mufflers. Otherwise, I may as well have a H-D.

I think my next (walk-behind) powermower will be electric.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #43
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Aeromachi 65, theres one I havent heard mentioned in a while. They were like 3 horspower, depending on the year the CZ may have not been much better. I always felt 4 strokes below 250cc's were an answer to a question no one was asking. As for the sound, Kawasaki triples sounded pretty sweet ripping thru the gears.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #44
strokerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
So did you get this bike or not? Don't wait too long. From the replies here there are more than a few people that would snatch this up in a minute. Maybe it's a good thing that you don't tell us where you live.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #45
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,418
Not about an RD, but one of the other 2T bikes of that era.

Late 70's I had a huge brain fart and decided to buy an H-1 to go roadracing. Ported the intake and exhaust, cut off all the unnecessary street stuff. Added expansion chamber exhaust, velocity stacks plus clip-ons and I fabbed some rearsets. PZ2 tires (remember those?) completed the build.

Until then I had just ridden a '77 Yamaha XS500 (parallel twin) which handled well- for those days- but was a bit down on power.

The Kaw 500 triple was the opposite. Good power once it was "on the pipe" but handled like......well it didn't.

Back straight at Bridgehampton was actually a series of slight lefthand kinks. AAMRR would have a second ambulance stationed at the end of those kinks and before the carousel. The H-1 would quickly weave down that section so badly that I figured that it would chuck me off and my body could slide right up to the waiting meat wagon.

THANK god current bikes have improved light years beyond those pieces of crap. I'll take a bike that can stop and handle along with accelerate.

The 2 strokes can take their place in the museum, IMHO.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote