Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #76
Super Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I'm an old guy who still likes to take my modified RD350 out on pleasant Sunday afternoons
.............and wring the crap out of it.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #77
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Amen! One hell of a nice build!
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #78
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 615
Now THATS a nice fuel tank !

Any idea what tank that is ?
Ever Onward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #79
Super Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
"Now THATS a nice fuel tank !

Any idea what tank that is ? "

Afraid I forgot the brand. It is written on the inside of the tank, and the same company made the seat pan. I seem to remember that they used to make motorcycle parts and now make fiberglass parts for cars only.

I got the tank and seat in a barter, not knowing it was for an RD. I called the manufactuer after doing a google search to see what the tank was made for, and they didn't know. So I tried it on a ratty RD350 (the one in the photo) and... voila! The tank and seat were a perfect fit. I loved the tank and built a bike around it.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #80
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Rd 350

I have a 1973 i keep in the rec-room. Bought it as a barn find 15 yrs ago with 2900miles on it. Cleaned it up and ran it for a season and put 1000miles on it. Alot of fun but I looked like the sugar bear on the damn thing so i tucked it away. It's been an art piece since then but it don't eat no hay.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #81
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,567
As a learner bike

Over here we have, in most states, Learner Approved Motorcycle Schemes. Any 250 with the exception of half a dozen of the later 2 stroke twins - RGV, Aprilia, TZR, KR1 & KR1S - plus, bike less than 660 & with a power to weight limit.
KTM has managed to get the 530 EXE on that list!
I'll stand corrected but all of the RDs & RZs, except the 500, are learner legal.

I reckon an RD350, 400 is a great learner bike. For all of the reasons mentioned above. Rider's don't tend to get themselves into trouble except by mis-adventure or stuffing up something they've done deliberately.

If you get something wrong, through unintentional loss of control - something like holding the throttle open & dumping the clutch would be a fairly common novice error mainly caused by freezing on the controls, legs flying all over etc - it probably doesn't really matter what you're riding. Excessive power isn't really the problem.

If you get yourself into trouble trying to do something, that's another matter. I'd also suggest that, in a large number of cases, the power available still isn't a huge causative issue. You're going to try it at whatever speed the thing your riding will go. More power just means you'll stuff up at a higher speed. Just going faster doesn't necessarily determine the consequence. Yes, there is a correlation.

The need for restrictions is political, IMHO. It says that the government & authorities are doing something about the 'terrible' collision rates. It's very easy. Costs almost nothing. Is simple to enforce - but enforcement is always after the event.

I'd be much happier seeing a novice on something that has sufficient torque to carry their weight properly in the situations they intend to ride than something that is far too small, engine &/or physical size wise.

If you can live with the different issues that come with an RD350, they are all getting around 40 years old for a start, then I reckon they are a good place to start.

And they go round corners fantastic.

I will admit, the brakes on mine are a bit so-so. And the effect of that? I have to be aware of ALL of it's performance.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #82
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Pardon my rant here but..... Wow is there some misinformation on here.

Scrambler nailed most of it but I have to add my 2 cents. First of all a STOCK RD350 would be a fine first bike. It's really pretty tame considering that a lot of kids are getting on 600 supersports as their first bikes.

MR3nO asked about: "as a first bike for someone who also likes getting his hands dirty, loves to learn, and is exceptional with google lol.". IMHO I don;t think there would be a bette bike on the planet for exactly that sort of thing. there are HUGE and helpful communities. Parts are plentiful and affordable and if you choose to go that route you can turn them into mini rocket ships.

Whoever said an RD350 is a poor handling ride could not be more mistaken. The bike is basically a consumer version of the wildly successful early TZ race bikes. Properly set up they go around a corner as quickly as anything up to the the early 90's.

Oh and a STOCK RD350 sipps gas. Especially compared to other bikes(2 and four stroke) from the era. Now the tank size may limit you a bit if you're cruising with modern ADV bikes with 7 gallon tanks but I doubt you'll be running in those circles on this bike anyway.

And I've always thought the stock RD350 brakes FOR THAT ERA were a marvel. That simple little single piston fron brake was really quite amazing compared to the block an tacker of other bikes that barely slowed you down. ADD a braided line and quaity pad and they're fantastic all things considered. Of course small as they are they will heat up on you if pushed long and hard. Say on a long twisty day.

Rant off... carry on...
Those bike were great handlers back in the day. That day was 40 years ago however.

I'll agree that they'd be fine as starter bike. Maintenance is simple and minimal and the reliability in street use is plenty good. They don't have a ton of power and the light weight and quick steering makes them fun to ride.

I guess I just don't get all the old bike romance associated with them. Maybe I spent too many hours on one at racing speeds...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #83
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
I guess I just don't get all the old bike romance associated with them. Maybe I spent too many hours on one at racing speeds...
Yeah I'd say that would skew your opinion dramatically.
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #84
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Yeah I'd say that would skew your opinion dramatically.
Yes, it does........and to further skew that golden glow, just ride a grey market GP replica for a decade after the RD's.

It really drives home the reality of how crude the air coolers were.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #85
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,157
Had a '72 R5 350 and a '75 RD350B.

For their day they handled great, and, braked great. For their day. That's not to say they still aren't a whole ton of fun. Easy to keep up and look after, especially If I could tune it up and keep it going. Its a great machine for a new to bikes to wrench on.

The last RD I rode was in about 1995. It wasn't the same, it felt vibey and all the modern slander everyone now heaps on them. But there's no comparison with bikes in those days vs now. But in its day, well, pretty much nothing was alla round as fast and all around competent - for the commoner motorcyclist that is.

Giant killer? They sure were. I actually felt bad about luring people into impromptu roads encounters. Z1's were easily dusted, (on a proper road) but eventually I feared they may have ended up in the weeds and impaled so I cut back on that.

I am confident the RD made me the stellar all knowing skilled rider I am today. Not that I'm great, I'm not, but what I managed to do and learn on that bike was extremely useful.

My favorite thing, in my memory, that I managed to do on a RD350 was a Monday morning commute. After staying at my GF's over the weekend I had to get to work, I believe exactly or about 60 miles away, Olympia WA to Quilcene, WA. I slowly worked my way up to getting better times. My best was 1 hour. This is not a straight road at all, a pretty fantastic road actually, and on a early weekday morning it had virtually no traffic. I could never beat that one hour time because the one time it appeared I might I ran out of gas. I always started with a full tank too. They may have "sipped" gas, but not at that pace.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #86
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Had a '72 R5 350 and a '75 RD350B.

I am confident the RD made me the stellar all knowing skilled rider I am today. Not that I'm great, I'm not, but what I managed to do and learn on that bike was extremely useful.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #87
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,323
I love mine 1979 RD 400 Daytona Special, it is not yet on the road, I have it nearly ready, but I am getting it ready. What I have done flat slides, ordering new shocks, new headset emulators in the front forks motocarerra pipes. I have not done any porting, the bike has 6.432 miles on it so it will stay stock for now, I am sure it will be a kick in the ass ride, BTW I will put setbacks on it too

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #88
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
KTM has managed to get the 530 EXE on that list!
Not wanting to derail the thread but.... we are adopting the Aussie list of learner legal bikes in October. IT 490's are on the legal list

Thank you Oztralia..

Oh, Raxelson. That is a lovely bike, caused me to pause & drool.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #89
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,050
Who to use for parts in the EU? Are there RD350 specific forums you can recommend?
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #90
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Here ya go. These are the best, both from the UK.

http://www.aircooledrdclub.co.uk/forum/default.asp

http://www.yamaha-rd.com/forum/