User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
true grip OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Arkansas dash

Memorial weekend always starts out the same for me every year. A trip to the cemetery for a memorial service. In July 1857 a young boy name James lie on his death bed suffering from pneumonia. He pointed out the window to a large oak tree on a distant hill, he told his parents if he should die bury him under that oak. He had killed his first squirrel out of that tree and loved being on the hill. Sadly James parents honored his wishes. Now over 600 others have been laid to rest. I have 4 great grandfathers my grandfather and father buried here and if there is a body when Iím gone i will rest here too. My lovely wife and me.

After the service we always have dinner on the ground. Not really its on real tables or on special touratech styrofoam plate holder and matching red Dixie cup holder. Its on page 4768 in the catalog

After my belly was full my brother in law shows up for a quick run to Arkansas. Three days off from work warrants a bike trip somewhere. Iíve had my Tenere since Dec, of 11, my bro in law got his a month later. This was our first multi day trip.

Several stops to hydrate and refuel and we pulled into Mountain Home right before dark. Sunday when we woke my bro in law wanted to go to Gastons fishing resort for breakfast. Its on the White river the tailwaters of Bull Shoals lake. Here is a pic of the gift shop the restaurant is below it on the river. There are cabins and houses to rent. They have a marina that rents boats and also offer guides.

My bro in law has fished there and said it was good trout fishing. He has taken business people even took his wife once. When will pulled up there were planes everywhere. Taildraggers were having a fly in. Great! It was neat to see so many Cubs and other bush planes. People had come from all over. One woman from as far away as Canada. I was partial to the military paint jobs.

Here is a couple of pics of the river. It seem a little low volume wise but was crystal clear. No problem seeing the bottom from where I ate breakfast in the restaurant.

After breakfast and talking to a few pilots we went across the dam to a very nice visitor center. Here is Bull Shoals dam and tailwaters.

By mid morning we were back in Mountain Home. We went to worship as we normally do. After church and a sandwich it was time for some twisties. Push mountain (341) is a favorite 25 miles of curve after curve though a National forest no intersecting rds. or driveways.

We rode 123 Mt. Judea and Hwy. 7 we ended up in Harrison Sunday evening with only a little over 200 miles for the day. A low mile day but great roads and good fun.
Monday the plan was to get an early start before it got hot. We would take back roads working our way home. Saw the sun come up

A gratuitous shot of the bikes. This place I think is in Norfolk. Iím amazed how long logs last if they have a good roof over them.

Time to wrap this up a total of 1050 miles basically two and a half days lots a water drinking and sight seeing, some good twisties beautiful scenery and good food. Arkansas has so much to offer if you are close by and havenít been you need to go.
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Nice pics, I was down there the weekend before. Didn't make Push Mt. this trip but that 125 from Mt Judea is so twisty I think I passed my own tailight.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
conwaykram
Mark Conway AR

Oddometer: 18
nice!

I was kinda in that area Memorial Day too. Drove up to Lake Norfork from Conway and stayed in Calico Rock. Great area. Love the pics!
conwaykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
true grip OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Nice pics, I was down there the weekend before. Didn't make Push Mt. this trip but that 125 from Mt Judea is so twisty I think I passed my own tailight.
Yea Mt. Judea is crazy crooked really pretty on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaykram View Post
I was kinda in that area Memorial Day too. Drove up to Lake Norfork from Conway and stayed in Calico Rock. Great area. Love the pics!
We went through Calico Rock on 56 to Ash Flat nice road. Never had a bad trip to Arkansas. I want to get over and get off the asphalt on some of the back dirt roads. My bro in law has been having some eye trouble and its was really dry so we avoided the dust. Just another reason to return someday
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote