User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
jleyburn OP
jleyburn

Oddometer: 7
Riding the BRP in September

Im planning to ride from South florida to DC in early-mid september. Spend a few days with family and then return via skyline drive and follow the blue ridge parkway until it ends. Then probably spend a day riding around the dragon/cherohala/blood mountain area before heading back to florida.
My normal riding buddy cant make this trip so is anyone interested in joining? I will be camping out along the way. That will be a new experiance for me, any tips? And can anyone tell me what to expect as far as temperatures day/night in the mountains?
jleyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 785
September in the northeast is a lovely time of year. About 50 deg in the evenings, usually clear and in the 70s during the day. Take a liner with you, and you will be fine. The BRP and Skyline go up in elevation so you may find it a couple of degrees cooler at the top. 30 deg sleeping bag should be ok for camping.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 921
I'm leaving for a seven-day adventure down there in Mid-September but going the opposite way as I serpentine the best roads in TN and NC. Should be some great riding weather.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,012
Good rain gear is a must.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Good rain gear is a must.

Ya think?

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
If you plan on riding the entire Cherhola Skyway/BRP/Skyline Dr in the fall, the thing you'll need most is patience! Too many leaf peepers in RVs doin' 10 under the 45 MPH limit. Frequent heavy fog in the early mornings till 9 or 10ish, and you can get wet just about anytime, any day. Lots of other roads you can access from the BRP that are better with lower traffic volume. I'd list 'em for ya, but I'm not giving away all my secrets….
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Too many leaf peepers in RVs doin' 10 under the 45 MPH limit.
Leafs will still be green in early/mid September.
There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Turtletownman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
In June I got off the slow speed but low traffic parkway to make better time. The first vehicle I caught up with in a long no passing zone was running less than 45.
The road did have a gas station and lunch.
Bob
Turtletownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
Not knowing what you are riding, or you style of riding, but you should have a great ride. There are not a lot of Rangers on patrol but you never know when one will pop up. They are generally tolerant of 5 to maybe 10 over the 45 mph limit. For sure 60 mph will get you a ticket. As will passing on a yellow line. There is a Ranger in the Meadows of Dan area that is earning quite a reputation as a genuine Axx hoe. Weather is pretty unpredicatable. Like some one said, fog can be thick, and visibility down to 0. If fog is a problem on the BRP, then you can always find an alternate route, like US 221 that likely won't be fogged in.
One camping spot you should for sure check out is http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/ in Meadows of Dan, just into Virginia from N. Carolina.
There is also a Parkway camp ground at Roanoke on the Mill Mountain Spur. I use a "20 degree" sleeping bag, and that time of year it can be bearly adequate. If your bike does not have heated grips, you can really appreciate them on a damp cool morning ride. Same for a heated vest or jacket liner.
Have a good safe ride!

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
jleyburn OP
jleyburn

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1 View Post
Not knowing what you are riding, or you style of riding, but you should have a great ride. There are not a lot of Rangers on patrol but you never know when one will pop up. They are generally tolerant of 5 to maybe 10 over the 45 mph limit. For sure 60 mph will get you a ticket. As will passing on a yellow line. There is a Ranger in the Meadows of Dan area that is earning quite a reputation as a genuine Axx hoe. Weather is pretty unpredicatable. Like some one said, fog can be thick, and visibility down to 0. If fog is a problem on the BRP, then you can always find an alternate route, like US 221 that likely won't be fogged in.
One camping spot you should for sure check out is http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/ in Meadows of Dan, just into Virginia from N. Carolina.
There is also a Parkway camp ground at Roanoke on the Mill Mountain Spur. I use a "20 degree" sleeping bag, and that time of year it can be bearly adequate. If your bike does not have heated grips, you can really appreciate them on a damp cool morning ride. Same for a heated vest or jacket liner.
Have a good safe ride!
Thanks, Thats exactly the type of info i was looking for, For the record I will be Riding a Suzuki DL1000, Definatly will need to watch the speed on this trip.
jleyburn is offline   Reply With Quote