User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #31
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,321
Awesome folks, thanks!

I have a 2007 GSA so I picked full coverage (Platinum) at $15,000 value to get the quote - so it looks like it's in line then. I can trim it back or just bite the bullet, no problem I just wanted to check as I've seen numbers of $35 and such. I wouln't feel comfortable riding without collision coverage, just in case, so I'll spring for that coverage, but maybe back it down to $10k or something.

As for the title not being needed - THANK YOU again! It's corn-fusing reading the immigration website as they really do treat the pennisula as it's own animal....

Muchas Gracias!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #32
jjewell
GrizzledDuc

Oddometer: 151
Skagway

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
You're from Skagway? Do you know a Miriam, kinda tall, mid 30's, races sled dogs?
Sorry for not getting back sooner Ive been held hostage at my in-laws in PA.for a week.Now that Im out I can concentrate on more important things. Moto trip planning!
I don't know a Miriam in Skagway although in the summer we get a lot of mushers that work for the various musher tours. Most live up on the Glacier and only come to town occasionally so we don't see many of them.
jjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #33
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
That's OK, i was thinking Skagway was in a different part of the state, wrong town.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
shortcutsmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
San francisquito

After posting a question RE San Francisquito and accomadations it appears that the place is abandoned.When we were there I noticed about 4 or 5 decent boats were locked in sheds on the property. There was a guy running a fishing business for tourists on a little bay just North of the air strip. Don't know about him or the other boats now.There was a guy and his wife there that would turn on the propane so you could have a hot shower, Run a gen set till about 2100 and fix a damn good meal at the end of the day. 10$ for a palapa and 4$ for dinner There was a federal army campsite just North of the runway a little ways but they never came around while we were there for 3 great days about 4 years ago.I guess a guy could camp there under one of the palapas but then again I don't think I would unless I was with a group. Strength in numbers you know.
shortcutsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #35
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
I wrote up a section on San Francisquito on my website trip report HERE with some pics.

I camped right on the beach in a tent, was the only one there except the extended family that lived there. It was awesome to be on a perfectly dark beach at night with all the brilliant stars in the black sky as opposed to camping near a town. Nothing but the fire down at the main building where the family cooked their meals. This was last Feb-March. Not much left of the place as I hear it used to be the bomb back in the day. The Baja 1000 didn't even go through there last week like they used to.

Anyhow they had a generator and a refrigerator and sold drinks. Since one of the family members is a teenager I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but in the evening he pulls out a laptop and was on Facebook! It turned out to be the best Wifi I had in a long time - they turn it on in the evening for awhile.

I used my broken Spanish to negotiate a fresh fish dinner and also breakfast. And most importantly sold me a gallon of barrel gas in the morning.

Upon arrival, I actually missed a turn and ended up at the little bay just north of there at a ranch and he offered me gas too, then that road dead ended at the little military camp there before I turned around and found my way to the main beach / building area by the airstrip. So there is other gas in the area which is pretty important depending on your route as there are not a lot of options.

As to the roads, I really liked the road north of SF to Bay de LA but the road west to Vizcaino had some stretches of washboard hell. Had to go about 70 mph just to smooth out the road. But the Baja 1000 last week used both of these roads so perhaps even the road to BdLA is just as bad now, dunno.

I liked the place for its seclusion and solitude and gotta say strength in numbers is not needed in an area like this as far as camping goes, it's the Baja man! Although since I was split off from my group I did ride a little more carefully and also carried a full camelback of water and about a gallon of gas in my spare MSR dromedary bag as it is about 200 miles from Vizcaino to SF to BdLA so you gotta plan ahead or look for a rancher and they are only in certain areas. I actually liked trying it out as I always have crap I take that I never use! So it was kinda nice that way to use it and it worked great! (but take another plastic bag to put it in because it will never get rid of the gas fume smell once you use it...

Good luck. Here's a couple of pics:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 08:41 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #36
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Added to the index, thanks Snook!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #37
tam162
Two wheel Terry

Oddometer: 20
Laugh Just passed through

Section8. my wife and me crossed into Baja from Tijuana on November 20th. They rerouted the border crossing recently and we drove through without seeing the sign for immigration. Once you pass by it is seeming inpossible to get back. We were told we could get our paperwork in Ensenada. We stopped at immigration in Ensenada and the official there told us we were there undocumented and now we were subject to a $200 plus dollar fine. Of course maybe for a few less dollars something could be done. We stalled for a while while he slowly did some paper work. After several minutes he agreed there were no immigration signs at the Tijuana crossing and decided to wave any further fees.

The trip through Baja was great. We arrived in La Paz yesterday afternoon. Got up this AM and went to the ferry terminal for tickets to Mazatlan and our TVIP permits. The service was outstanding and pleasant. It took us less than 1/2 hour. Much better than my experience 2 years ago in Tijuana. On to Costa Rica.
tam162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Could you do a detailed post about the ferry? That would be a great resource for people. I'm planning on using the Guaymas ferry in 2014 and I know a lot of riders would appreciate a first hand account.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #39
tam162
Two wheel Terry

Oddometer: 20
Ferry Ride To Mazatlan

Get your tickets a couple of days in advance as it does fill up. Purchasing the tickets the day before departure, we just squeaked on and were not able to get a cabin. Remember to bring a couple of tie down straps to secure your bike. Some rope was available but I would not depend on it always being available. The ride from La Paz took 15 hours. Seating was comfortable and they had decent movies on the big screen. A good dinner and breakfast is provided included with your ticket which was just under 2000 pesos. We had a pleasant ride over smooth water.
tam162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Thanks Tam162!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
K u r t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Here's a threadjack. Your photos rekindled a few Baja memories I'd like to share.

I yearn for sand, pemex rojo, camarones y poquito de frijol.

Baja, you have my heart.

Bay of LA -> Francisquito

Francisquito

Near Laguna Ignacio

San Juanico Cemetary

San Rafael Fish Camp

San Francisquito

HP kick stand

HP in pieces

Cataviña

Puertocitos

Nightshift to Francisquito

Francisquito palapas

Francisquito morning

Percolating

Desayuno Francisquito

The way to Coco

Moscas

Howard's

Loreto Peak

Moto Miguel del Boracho, Loreto

Posada Concepcion

Happy travels, friends.

Kurt

K u r t screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 01:41 PM
K u r t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #42
KMC1
There is no spoon.

HOLY SHIT!!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #43
K u r t
Gnarly Adventurer

Indeed.

And if you can believe it, that was after cleaning the screens once before!!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #44
KMC1
There is no spoon.

That is hilarious! I think I would not clean that helmet and save it for posterity! There's enough protein on that visor to make a decent soup!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #45
K u r t
Gnarly Adventurer

So true about the soup.

I remember the smell of the bugs. It was like grassy manure - presumably from their food source? Pretty special.