Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #46
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by K u r t View Post
Here's a threadjack. Your photos have rekindled a few Baja memories I'd like to share.

Moto Miguel del Boracho, Loreto
Mike & Cholie have sold Del Borrachio Bar & Grill and bought a place in San Juanico.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #47
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
Alright Kurt you MUST have some info to contribute! How about a post about the San Rafael Fish Camp?

Is that top pic taken on the Zoo Road west of San Felipe?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #48
K u r t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Mike & Cholie have sold Del Borrachio Bar & Grill and bought a place in San Juanico.

Right! I'm hoping to check in on them soon if the stars align. Didn't Cholie flip something like 10,000 burgers at Del Boracho? I hope she/ Mike are doing well in Juanico.

Re San Rafael: This little bay is about 10 miles north of San Francisquito. It's a commercial fishing camp that sends trucks to Ensenada. When you pull in on your burro, ask these guys kindly for a couple lobsters for the road. With luck, they'll put em on ice in a plastic bag (tie to your moto) and roll into Francisquito. Trust the Baja gods you can cook them there- nothing better.

This guy will hook up the langosta

If you're really nice they'll fix a plate of ceviche'd scallops. Enjoy from an Econoline bench with bay and sea gull view

Crates like this are what you scavenge over (wholesale pricing)
K u r t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #49
K u r t
Gnarly Adventurer

San Rafael Fishing Camp

This guy used to run Francisquito

San Francisquito is a remote treasure that's in decline because of reduced patronage. It could be gone one day if more people don't go in and support.

Just remember it's 100 miles of dirt from Bay of LA to get there!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #50
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
San Francisquito is a remote treasure that's in decline because of reduced patronage. It could be gone one day if more people don't go in and support.

Just remember it's 100 miles of dirt from Bay of LA to get there!!
Woo-hoo! I'll be there in one month, knock on wood...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #51
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Woo-hoo! I'll be there in one month, knock on wood...
I would disagree with the premise that San Franciscito deserves patronage. The current owners have developed a reputation for causing the decline of their business. Even before the earthquake, they were not spending time or energy on maintenance of the facilities. When I was last there, electrical problems, no hot water and a filthy kitchen were obvious in spite of good patronage.

Enjoy the area but I recommend that you stay just a bit to the west at Rancho Pedra Blanca where they are doing a good job of providing the amenities you pay for.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #52
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

I heard about Rancho Pedra Blanca on our last trip. Is it a new place, or was it new that they were keeping barrel gas there? I can't remember as I did not go there. Could you do a post about the place? Since it's off the beaten path please include a map link if you can.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #53
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I heard about Rancho Pedra Blanca on our last trip. Is it a new place, or was it new that they were keeping barrel gas there? I can't remember as I did not go there. Could you do a post about the place? Since it's off the beaten path please include a map link if you can.
Heading south from BOLA, this intersection.......

Map........

de nada.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
I'm blind, maybe, but Rancho Pedra Blanca is...donde?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #55
K u r t
Gnarly Adventurer

I think Rancho Piedra Blanca is not on the above Baja Almanac map, but is on a newer version. From memory, it's inland from El Barril and accessed by a ranch road leaving south from the intersection at El Progresso (on the above map), and does not have water frontage. Is this correct, Walrus? They have a Facebook page with excellent pics, check here: http://www.facebook.com/rancho.piedrablanca

Also- there are cave paintings to be seen around Piedra Blanca--these surely on my Baja hit list.

Re Francisquito patronage- the hosts could keep the place up better, but I've not had a more relaxing and rustic Baja experience than reading Steinbeck hanging on a palapa/ hammock...with the amazing peaceful ocean view and breeze. No one around!

I think next time I'll stay in both Francisquito AND Piedra Blanca... ;)

Good luck to all

Kurt

K u r t screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:59 PM Reason: add Facebook link
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #56
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
I think Rancho Piedra Blanca is not on the above Baja Almanac map, but is on a newer version. From memory, it's inland from El Barril and accessed by a ranch road leaving south from the intersection at El Progresso (on the above map), and does not have water frontage. Is this correct, Walrus? They have a Facebook page with excellent pics, check here: http://www.facebook.com/rancho.piedrablanca

Also- there are cave paintings to be seen around Piedra Blanca--these surely on my Baja hit list.

Re Francisquito patronage- the hosts could keep the place up better, but I've not had a more relaxing and rustic Baja experience than reading Steinbeck hanging on a palapa/ hammock...with the amazing peaceful ocean view and breeze. No one around!

I think next time I'll stay in both Francisquito AND Piedra Blanca... ;)

Good luck to all

Kurt

I like your style and agree with you.

I really like some very specific spots on this planet and SF is on that short list. I can not, however, justify letting folks waste a valuable resource. The real world teaches us that not taking care of our personal environments is really a negative for everyone and should not be supported just because we've been sorted into a wonderful spot. I won't patronize the "resort" at SF for that reason, it's just not right. Either they evolve and realize what they have, or they lose it to someone who has your appreciation for what is there........

of course, YMMV,,,,
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #57
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
I think Rancho Piedra Blanca is not on the above Baja Almanac map, but is on a newer version. From memory, it's inland from El Barril and accessed by a ranch road leaving south from the intersection at El Progresso (on the above map), and does not have water frontage...

I think next time I'll stay in both Francisquito AND Piedra Blanca...
Ah, you mean the new Baja Almanac that's out of print or otherwise unavailable?

From a similar thread on forums.bajanomad.com, I'm guessing Rancho Piedra Blanca is about where the "corral" is noted in the lower left of the map, due west of El Progreso? About N 28 11.883 W 113 12.080...

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 12:34 AM
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #58
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Do you know how to do a google map link like my previous posts? It's easy enough that my dumb ass can do it. Just go to google maps, zoom in to the area, right click to put a pin on the Rancho, then copy and past the html link into your post.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #59
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Do you know how to do a google map link like my previous posts? It's easy enough that my dumb ass can do it. Just go to google maps, zoom in to the area, right click to put a pin on the Rancho, then copy and past the html link into your post.

Huh? You talkin' to me? Why sure, I reckon I can do that if it makes you happy. I'm the one that's trying to figure out where Rancho Pedra Piedra Blanca IS, never actually having been there before. Seemed a little pointless, but what the heck. I was hoping someone who's actually been there before could confirm my guess. Not to mention that the google map has little detail. How about this? (no pin, but a red arrow for my guess)

Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #60
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

No worries, i'm just trying to make this as useful a resource as possible. Come to think of it, i have to dig my Baja Almanac out, i believe a certain crazy Canadian rider marked the Rancho for me.