Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Oddometer: 163
PreLife Father/Son Ride of a lifetime.

Trip planning: 3-25-12
I have a 2011 R1200GSA Heidenau K60-s, and my 17yo son has a 2009 Kawasaki KLR650 TKC-80's, both fully kitted out. *We both also use Garmin 665s, Garmin GPSMAP 62s handheld units, and a SPOT Connect. We subscribe to the Two is One And One is None theory. Especially when it comes to water, water filters, fuel *and other supplies.

Our riding experience consists of, in 2010 we trailered out and rode an ATV and KLX250S on a lot of the mild to moderate trails around Moab, and american fork Utah, nothing extremely difficult for an entire week and have a lot of on road experience on our current bikes, about 15K miles each. *We also have experience on dirt and gravel fire roads in the tennessee mountains on these bikes.
He leaves for the US Airforce in late June. *I have been asking him where he wants to go for the past three months when he graduates high school. *He told me a few weeks ago that he would like to ride out west since we have been south already. *So I began to search for routes on the forum that would take us off of the hardball.
We will be leaving this saturday March 31st 0600. *We will be riding west on US 36 al the way to Colby, Kansas for the night. *Sunday morning 0600 we will be leaving for Mexican Hat, Utah and staying at the Mexican Hat Lodge.

**Monday morning we will be riding north on the start of the Utah Backroad Discovry Route by Touratech, and Butler Maps. *I have been on the other threads obtaining information about the area, as well as trail and weather conditions. * I have downloaded the UTBDR GPS tracks, and have the Butler maps in hand, with the DVD arriving this week. * Anything above 5500 MSL is pretty much out due to snow currently occupying the trails. *On those particular sections we will be forced to take the hardball. *Once in Moab, we will be riding the trails there which we rode in 2010. *Depending on the amount of time it takes us on the southern trails, will determine how long we stay in Moab. *Once we have had our fill there, we will be riding farther north, weather/trail conditions permitting or riding northwest towards Provo on the hardball. *Then we will ride towards Basin Wyoming to visit with a relative. * After that, *we will be heading towards Devils Tower in Wyoming, then off to Deadwood, South Dakota, then through Sturgis, SD, then making our way towards Rapid City, SD. *We are wanting to ride a little through the Badlands if accessible. *Then working our way back towards Indiana. *Not sure how long it is all going to take, but we are shooting for 14 days reserving 2 days for travel to Mexican Hat, Utah. *This will leave 12 to ride portions of the UTBDR and slowly wind north east then back south east to home. I will try to post daily cellular coverage permitting. *

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Ranger159
That'll Do DONKEY!

Oddometer: 348
Thumb

Sure to be a memorable trip that fantastic memories are made from, safe travels to you and your son. I hope you post some RR, but most of all pass along a "thanks in advance" for serving to your son.

Keep the shiny side up
Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

War Room

This is where we are putting everything together. We have our maps taped up to layout and plan the routes. We are installing the Touratech Quick Release Mounts for extra fuel, oil, and water containers. If anyone hasn't had a chance to play with the Touratech rapid release accessory mounts, they are truly awesome. Very easy to install and to swap out the various bottle mounts on to get a better center of gravity.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

War room.

The Touratech Crash bar bags will take a lot of weight out of the panniers for tubes, and tools.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Swearing in

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Swearing in

Old 03-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Very Nice. I'll follow.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Touratech QR mounts

Here is a picture of the 2 liter auxillary oil containers on the Touratech Quick Release mounts.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
Great trip

Please keep posting - this is an inspiration for me any my 18-year-old son. I love any father/son trip reports!

Also - I thank your son in advance for his service to our country.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
Armyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I salute your son for volunteering to join the military during this time in American history. I hope this turns into the kind of trip you’ll be telling your grandchildren someday.
Armyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Ride Update

I haven't had a whole lot of time to update due to preparing for the trip. And it is a good thing that we did change the KLR-650's balancer spring and lever aka Doohickie. It is pretty dispicible that Kawasaki has claimed that there was no problem up to 2008, then claimed to have fixed the problem on the '09 and later bikes. The shaping was so loose that even at a fast and high revving of the motor, I doubt it did anything more that rattle less do its job. They claimed to have beefed up the lever, but used a crappy adjustment screw that mates up to it. There were significant wear grooves in the adjustment screw as well.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:10 AM
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Worn out screw. OMG

The worn out grooves prevent the screw from being loosened and then retorqued to adjust the balancer lever.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:14 AM
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Pissed Prior to changing the doohickie.

The spring installed is worthless. This is amazing. It's almost as if they do this because it causes such slow and deliberate wear and tear that they will sell replacement parts when your gear box goes splody.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...2/08b86935.mp4
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
This sounds awesome. I'm in Utah and just did a Father/Son ride last week with my 12 year old son through some of the area. Check out my ride report and pics here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776438

I've got 3 boys and ride with them every opportunity I can because I know they will be gone before I know it.

If you run into any trouble, or need help while in Utah send me a PM and I'll be glad to do what I can to help.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Video proof with the sound.

Click on the links below to listen to the audio from the video which demonstrates a clear contrast of the gear box and how the timing chain is slapped around inside with a clear chatter with the factory parts, and then with the Eaglemike replacement parts. He also includes the washer to resolve and mitigate the worn adjustment bolt.

Prior to replacement. Listen to the chatter at revving.
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...2/dd04f6b4.mp4

After the Eaglemike upgrade.
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...2/f34cce97.mp4