User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Oddometer: 170
Tie changes

We changed my TKC-80's to Heidenau K-60's and his Anakee 2's to TKC-80's since they had no K-60's in stock for the KLR. Each bike only took an entire hour to dismount, balance and remount using my new No-MAR Jr. Pro. Now if anyone is on the fence about getting this devise or hates the amount of time that it takes to do this manually, I would strongly suggest that you try to get one of these. When I change tires using my Best Rest Bead BreakR it is easy, and very well made and definitely a necessity for the trail. Spoons just don't cut it. The kick stand trick doesn't work on soft ground either. But to save you about 5 hours to change two sets of tires from tuned and tubeless bikes, the NoMAR is a NoBrainR
List year prior to the Tennessee trip it took forever and a day to change out our tires. Hell, the paste/spray bottle that they provide is worth it's weight in gold. I have used dish soap, green slime, talcum powder, and WD-40 to get the tires on and off the rims,and the NoMar paste whic you can also dilute into the spray bottle is the cat's ass

Michaels TKC-80's

The lovely K-60's

Angry bird is going too.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:31 AM
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Subscribed!

Love the father/son rides and that paint on your KLR is killer! If your plans take you through St. Paul/Minneapolis on the return we have spare room and large yard for camping, garage and tools if needed. Thanks in advance for your sons service! Have fun and stay safe!
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Paint job.

We had the Hydrographics applied in Marine Woodland Pattern by Battlecoat in Indianapolis. Thanks for the offer.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Work is never done.

Up till 0345 am finishing the bikes. Pushed back our departure to 0930-1000 am. :(

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:34 AM
Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

No help at all.

This dog is useless. Can't even gather up the energy to make it to the stick. Breathing is even too strenuous.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:35 AM
Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Like a Blister.

He shows up to uh "help" when the work is done....

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:48 AM
Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

And we're off!

Ready to go. 0945. Get it on!

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:49 AM
Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

First gas stop in peoples republic of Illinois

No offense to conservatives currently held prisoner in the home state of the current illegitimate usurped pitiful excuse for a president communist asshole. Just sayen. Anyway. :)
I mounted the 2 liter rear oil reserve container too close to the exhaust. It started to melt the plastic and ruined the container. Which is why I didn't mount the fuel in the back.

Dumbledorff riding behind me neglected to notify my that he was being sprayed with the oil that was being atomized into the air on him. And I quote.... " huh... I was wondering what all of that was all over my face shield and wind screen.". Well now he knows that we need to watch out for each other. Hmm. 17 year olds. What are you gonna do.

We subsequently found a car wash and cleaned his bike and gear off.

Quick stop at the Quincey Mall in Illinois to get a butane soldering iron to fix a broken gps wire, then to get the necessary nectar at Starbucks.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:52 AM
Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Nightstrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hey dude. Hope you guys are having fun! BTW, motorcycle talk is completely safe around my house again...lol. I need to swing by your place soon. Peace, Christian
Nightstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
WHITEHOUSE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Wow! Those look like the perfectly kitted out adventure bikes to be parked in front of Starbucks. You didn't, did you? Please tell me no. Thanks for the post - thanks to your son for his decision. I'm planning a much shorter trip with my Grandson who's the same age. One day you'll see - you cut grandkids a lot more slack. Keep us posted.
WHITEHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Stopped in Palmyra MO

Shortly after starbucks we decided to get a room at the budget inn in Palmyra. An extremely nice and appreciative Indian couple were very hospitable and were very interested in our bikes ( dot not feather ). The guy took about two dozen photos and was asking all kinds of questions about my GSA. I don't think that his wife had a clue how much he wanted one. After posing for some pics and unloading the bikes, I set to fixing the gps satellite antenna. It had a bad connection at the waterproof connection, so I tore into it using some replacement Cat5E wire I picked up from radio shack. The butane soldering iron was pretty handy and I should have had one with me anyway. Don't have to worry about that anymore. After fixing the connector which I might add was done pretty well, we washed our clothes and went to bed. We will be getting to Colby Kansas tomorrow after about 10 hours of riding. We are taking 36 all the way out there.
You have to look real hard to see her. She was tiny.

cheezzzee

Pannier soldering work station.

Everything put back together. It works, but the road vibration will confirm.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:35 PM
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

On the move. Well after we slept in.

After a solid week of not getting any sleep we decided to sleep in until 830. It was nice not have to get up to take our time. We had a 530 wake-up call but the phone was simply picked up and was set back down. After working on my bike last night Michael fell asleep I came in and started putting stuff up. Michael woke up and asked what time it was, I said 530 let's go. He only slept for a half an hour. He said man I didnt get any sleep, he got up and started getting ready to go. After a couple of minutes I told him what time it really was and he went back to bed.
This morning we woke up refreshed and ready to go. I gave Michael a little tip about staying in hotel rooms. The carpets are usually discusting and you should clean your feet with a towel before putting on your socks. That way you don't ferment or grow whatever crud and semen that gets left on the floor from the previous douche. It was funny to see the look on his face when the towel came up brown. He said thanks, now I'm going to have to do this for the rest of my life when I stay in a hotel.

Except Michael wouldn't get out of bed.

Stopped for Sonic about 50 miles west of Palmyra.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Short break in Kansas

Riding in Kansas on 36 west of Missouri is much mo better than riding in Missouri. Man that was boring. Kansas on 36 is awesome. Rolling hills, lots of wind to keep you active and awake. So much so Michael wanted to take a break on a side road.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 294
You can just see the dobie asking the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
I can Haz Sidecar?

Great RR so far. Great way to send off the son into the military.
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Holy shit on on a popCycle.

Rolled into Colby Kansas at about 930pm. Kansas doesn't end by the way. So we get in, go though the fast food drive through before they close and pull over next door to the hotel. Michael pulls up next to me at the entrance and then pulls a little farther forward to park parallel and I hear a loud rattle when he revs his motor. My stomach just absolutely sunk. I walk over to his bike and tell him to rev it again and I hear the rattle again coming from the area of the gear box. You know. Like where I replaced the doohickie. I put my ear up close to it and had him give it a couple of raps. OM FRIGGING G if I didn't hear the rattle clear as day like shit was rattling around in there. I had him shut it down, and went into the hotel to check in whilst the stomach acid in my empty stomach started to give me heart burn from thinking about what we were going to have to do to his bike Monday morning and possibly have to wait days for parts. Ugh! As I'm checking in, the clerk tells me Michael is trying to get my attention outside. I go outside and he says, hey it was a loose bolt causing the washer to rattle up near the ferring. I instantly felt better but still freaked out. I feel up there and sure enough there is the front ferring bolt worked loose and the washer is rattling but after pushing against it, and revving, the rattling doesn't stop and is still coming from the area of the gearbox. And once again the stomach acid hits me. So I lay down and look straight up and have him rev it again. Hoping that it wasn't the gear box, when he revs it, the crash bar begins to rattle. There is a fracture between the front SW Motech left crash bar main mount and the first vertical cross weld. A serious compound fracture at that. Broke clean in half. Even though that sucks. It again was an instant relief. In the end, if that is the worst that happens on this trip, I am truely grateful. We were both safe and that is all that matters. Whewwwwwweeeee. Going to take it off in the morning and take it to a weld shop and weld that bitch up. For those of you that don't know. If you have to weld on your bikein an emergency, even the KLR, and ESPECIALLY the BMW with the Canbus, you have to disconnect the battery at a minimum, but preferably unplug the computers.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 11:03 PM