User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #31
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Oddometer: 164
Lightweight

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #32
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Bhhhhluhhhhh

So we got up at 0800 and went to the nearest welding shop to get the pig back on the road.

We disassembled the ferrings and unplugged all of the essential electronics. The crash bar was then mig welded.

We reassembled the bike, then went to the nearest farm implement store and picked up some rubber coating spray. Applied Loctite to all of the screws and sprayed the rubber coating onto the new weld.

We then went to fill up the tanks and slam some five hour energies. We then hopped onto I70 west bound from Colby, Kansas, and were met with 50-60mph right cross winds. The temperature was 51 degrees, and with the continuous crosswind, felt like 30 degrees. Now the GSA gets moved laterally with the wind, but the KLR gets tossed around like a rag doll. In a 75mph zone, some of the sections we couldn't push it past 55 safely. The wind was constant. Not gusting. It did numbers on our necks, as our helmets acted as sails and you had to constantly look to the right.
We pulled off to add an additional layer of clothing as exposure started to set in.

Here are a couple of photos of Michael with his Tron/Jersey Shore shades. I'm not sure which ones they are

We then popped back onto 70 west but only made it to Limon Colorado, a measly 143 miles. We exited and got something to eat.

Looking at the weather radar, we noticed a very large and static SNOW storm hovering around Denver and to the west.

We then hauled ass south on 71 towards Pueblo, CO, then to Walsenburg, CO where we were going to head west. In the time it took us to get to Pueblo, the storm had grown and progressed south. It beat us there. With no way west, and the storm stretching south into New Mexico, we had no other choice but to ride back north to Denver via 25. We figured that if we made it to Denver and the snow hadn't actually coved 70 we would be able to work west. If not then we could get a room near Denver. We made it to Colorado Springs and had to pull off to add another layer and fuel up. We then worked north again and stopped just south of Denver to get dinner and to get a stylus at office depot so that I could work the weather radar on my iPad in my tank bag map holder. I couldn't update the weather through the map cover with my gloves. That worked out perfectly. We then opted to make it to 70 west of Denver to see how far we could go before it became unsafe. We got about 20 miles west on 70 to Evergreen when the temperature went from 38 to 27 in an instant with drizzle freezing up. We dropped down to about 40, exited and got a room. Tucked the bikes in and jumped into the hot tub.

The weather is supposed to Turn to shit.

So we are stuck here until Wednesday when it will be 60 degrees again and the roads dry from plowing and calcium chloride.

This day went on and on and on. A great riding experience though. We are both exhausted from wrestling the bikes in the wind for 11 hours. So, Tuesday we will be sleeping in, and recouperating. As soon as those roads clear, we will be riding to Moab then south to Mexican Hat. Man o man. Bhhhhluhhhhh. I'm going to bed.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 12:22 AM
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #33
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
I'm in. This is going to be interesting. It can be pretty iffy getting through I-70 this time of yr.
I missed you guys in Palmyra MO by a day. I was heading north.
36 is great riding across Missouri and Kansas. Might want to consider 50 across Colorado.. It will have just as much snow, but better views..
Be safe. Good luck with the weather.

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Tuesday April 3rd

Static in Evergreen/Golden Colorado, we woke up, looked outside and this is what was out there. 4" of snow

So,we geared up and went out to play in the snow for some more experience. Everyday is a training day.

We rode around the slick parking lot, not from the snow, but from the seal coating on the asphalt.It was a good opportunity not to be passed up.
MICHAEL VIDEO LINK. http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...2/2ce113c4.mp4
MATT VIDEO LINK. http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...2/5b26e0cf.mp4

We rode over to the strip malls to find some food. Even in Colorado, people were looking at us like we were insane. Some of he ones that spoke to us, said things like, you're not riding motorcycles are you? Im guessing rhetorical questions as we had our gear and helmets. Hmmm. Oh well. I guess most of them are use to their Birkenstocks, and Suburus. If you haven't picked up on my ever so subtle hints yet, I HATE LIBERAL DOUCHE HIPPIES WITH EVERY STRAND OF MY DNA. Now others which you could tell we're of more adventurous stock were enthused about our prospects.

After eating a very good club at the Smiling Moose, we walked over to get some Starbucks. Then rode around the lots a little more and returned to the confines of our room where we did all of our laundry. The day shift manager was whining about our bikes being parked at the entrance that the night shift manager gave us permission to park under. So we parked them in a parking spot. I don't think angry bird was very happy about that. As you can see if you look closely from the picture he is giving me the stink eye

We are getting up tomorrow morning and riding to Mexican Hat...... Hopefully.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Those who do not wish to read others' signature lines or see their avatars can disable them from the Control Panel, then click on Edit Options.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #36
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Those who do not wish to read others' signature lines or see their avatars can disable them from the Control Panel, then click on Edit Options.
Or, you can just ignore it... (no offense intended)
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #37
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Wednesday April 4th. Off to Moab

We awoke and after packing up the bikes started off on I-70 west bound of the mountains. Even though it was all interstate, it was a relatively nice ride. *We fueled up in Aspen Colorado, then worked our way towards Moab. *We have four 30oz bottles of backup fuel, so I wanted to run the KLR out of gas and see how far the reserve would get us. *We made it an additional 20 miles. Once that ran out, we pulled off the side of the road and laid the bike on it's left side. *Due to a design flaw in my opinion, the KLR doesn't get every drop of gas to the bottom of the tank at the pitcock. *This got us an additional mile. *This was a good exercise for michael to exploit every drop of fuel. *When the last drop was used, I gave him one 30oz bottle of fuel. *He dumped it in. *About 5 miles later he ran out. *I knew this was going to happen since when I saw him pour the fuel in, he just slopped it in there. *When he rolled to a stop, I asked him why It could have possibly only got 5 miles out of the 30oz bottle of fuel that *he poured in. *He said he didn't know. *I asked what side of the tank most of the fuel drained into. *He then realized that he should have poured it into the left side of the tank ensuring that very little would be in the right side low spot of the tank. *I gave him another bottle. *We poured that in trying to get most of it into the left side of the tank. *we rode some more and then when it ran out, he immediately rode off into the dirt and laid the bike onto its side to get the fuel to the left side. *We righted the bike and carried on again. It then rain out again so we dumped the last 60oz of fuel in and proceeded to Moab. * We fueled up just north of Moab and rolled in ready to get some food. *We ate at the peace tree. *

Chock full of hippies but the food wasn't bad.

We then rode directly to the Mexican Hat Lodge and met Bob. *He was a nice guy, and I do believe also the owner of the lodge. *

I would recommend this place highly. *We turned in for the night.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #38
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Thursday April 5th. *morning, Mexican Hat,

We got up and talked some politics with Bob and his son. *Mostly about how the current idiot in chief is purposely destroying our once great country. *We then rode north to the Vally Of The Gods Road. *

We pulled off and let the tire pressure down in our tires for better traction. *We then proceeded down the road which was pretty uneventful but a very nice and scenic ride. *

After passing the Vally Of The Gods Bed & Breakfast we came out to a paved road. *So we pulled off again and aired up using our Best Rest tire pump. *The thing is awesome except for the quick detach connectors. *They suck beyond all belief and never want to stay on no matter how you position the locking tab. *So you end up having to hold them on the valve stem for the duration. *With panniers on having to lay under them with a bad shoulder is no fun. *Which makes it inconvenient to have to air down and in turn makes a less concerned rider complacent and less safe riding off road. *I'm definitely going to have to put new connectors on the pressure gauge and pump. *Anyway, this section of pavement turned out to only be a few hundred yards before it climbed via gravel road to a higher altitude. *It was a pretty awesome ride and quite a view once we got to the top. You can see the white roof of the bed and breakfast that we rode by on the lower plateau.

Once at the top we then continued on more pavement to Snow Flat Road. *This was an interesting ride about midway through. *It wasn't too technical but a little awkward on some of the rocky portions on fully *loaded down adventure bikes. *Michael was trailing me at the first rocky portion. *I looked back and he wasn't there as I would check about every 5 to 10 seconds. *I turned around and rolled up on him holding the KLR on the ledge of a van size rock. *I'm not sure how he got up there or why he chose that route but it was funny as he didn't want to let the bike go for fear of it continuing down into a ten foot rock valley. *

Behind this photo is where his bike would have gone. Believe me when I say that although this photo looks as though it is flat, it does slope down into about a 10' ditch.

After taking some photos and poking fun, I helped him right it and get it off of the rock. *Now none of the photos ever do the the actual incline *justice. *There really isn't anything for reference or depth perception. *Going up the rock and looking down probably freaked him out a little bit as a little to the right and his bike would have had to be winched out and would have definitely bent the shit out of something. *
Here are some action shots of some of the rocky portions.

Once we got him back on track we continued on, and at about halfway through Snow Flat Rod we took a break. The curve of the rock felt great stretching my back out.

*After the break and not to far away, the path climbed up a pretty decent angle but not too bad, however the rock placement was such that my loaded down bike began to rock and roll up and down just enough to have to take it slower for fear of being bucked off, but it still bucked enough to cause the motor to stall and fall to the right rather hard and fast I might add. *

It happened very fast and I still don't recall how it happened exactly. I just remember thinking this is going to suck, and being pulled with the bike to the right extremely fast. *I was only able to use the inertia that the fall gave me to dive and roll like I was in a 1970's SWAT episode. *Michael was watching this and after my dive and roll, I jumped up and threw my arms in the air like I just won a race. *He started hoopin and hollering like his team won and screamed that was awesome. *I snapped some more photos of course. *

We then righted the bike, and I was expecting to see a smashed wind screen, a broken beak, and a bent crash bar or crushed valve cover, and a totally smashed right touratech zega pro pannier since it was jagged rock that I just smoked proper. *I also half expected to see a big hole in my fuel tank. *But my Touratech crash bar bag which had some Gorilla tape, a Haywire Klamper tool, and some other non breakable items took the pain. *Im now glad I had the bags as I surely would have dickered up my tank. *To my amazement, the valve cover guard had a scratch on it, the crash bar had a scratch on it, the wind screen had a good scuff on it, and the right turn signal plastic lens was broken. *

I also later found out that the impact blew my low-beam bulb. *This was another thing that I thought was going to be some BMW exclusive $300 bulb. *Turns out it is a very common H7 bulb. It took me about three minutes to change it. *Yet another amazing thing about my bike. *It is so user friendly to work on. *Back to the story. *I loosened the wind screen adjustment knobs and simply realigned the wind screen. *The Touratech Zega Pro Pannier only had scuffs on it where the rock hit aluminum. *Other than that, there was nothing bent or broken and that bitch hit hard. *I was quite pleased. *If anyone is on the fence about what panniers to get, GET THE TOURATECH ZEGA PRO's. *I have Happy Trails Panniers on my KLX-250S which Michael burned a hole in one two separate corners from two different low side pavement crashes. * The SW Motech Boxes on Michaels KLR also bend easily, and all of them have taken a serious beating but the ZEGA Pros are the only ones not to have been affected by a hard hit. *The replaceable plastic corners *get scuffed up, but that is about it.

We then continued on and finally got out of the rocks. We soon met the silt sand. *That was pretty fun. *The problem is that it was overcast and it was hard to tell the regular dirt from the silt sand. *It kept us on our toes. *Both of us eventually succumbed to the silt. *My bike just got a mind of it's own and ran hard to starboard up out of the roadway onto the bank of sand. *Just that quick. *We righted it after some poses and continued.

Soon after I looked back and noticed Michael was missing so I maneuvered it 180 degrees in the sand and went looking for him. I rounded the corner and there he was. *His bike was up against the side of the road cutout with him standing in between. *I asked him what happened and he said he got too close to the wall and his right pannier hit and bogged him down into the sandy wall. *He said his foot was pinned and said he couldn't free it or lift the bike.

*So being the good father that I am, I capitalized on this either chew your leg off or tell your dad how good a job he is doing. *

He was reluctant but he finally seceded and let me know how good of a father I am, especially for providing him his SIDI Adventure Gortex boots which saved him from an almost certain broken ankle.*
(((((((((((VIDEO))))))))))))))): http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/...t=b5f6bbec.mp4

After freeing him, we were off again. *It didn't take long before we met the long *deep stretch of silt sand that I believe is in the UTBDR DVD. * I was nearly through when I heard him honking his horn. *I wasn't about to stop in that shit so I pressed on. *Once through it, I slushed back on foot to help him right his bike.

*I then shot this video of him making it through.*
(((((((((((((VIDEO)))))))))))))): http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/...t=74118406.mp4

Once through that stretch of sand it was all downhill. *We exited the trail and aired our tires up.

*It was late in the day, so instead of taking the rest of that section, we opted to ride the hardball into Moab for a day of riding on Saturday. *We arrived in Moab at about 2100 and picked the first hotel to stay at and drop our gear for the ride Saturday. *I don't recall the name of the place but *it surely wasn't worth the $180, not to mention they didn't have a room available for Saturday to lave our gear in as well as everything smelled like cigarette smoke. *So, since it was late, we were exhausted and starving we just dumped our kit and rode to get some food. *It was one of the farthest south hotels on 191.*

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 10:30 PM
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #39
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Friday April 6th- Moab, Utah

The next morning we slept in from being worked the previous day. *We checked out and rode over to the Red Rock Inn which I highly recommend and we should have stayed there in the first place. *We dumped our kit and got some breakfast. *We then road up the awesome 128. This is my second time on this road. *I recommend everyone try to ride this road in their lifetime. *We made our way to Onion Creek Road and began our day.
We aired down our tires and proceeded. *I gave Michael the lead bike today. *This is also the second time we have been on Onion Creek Road. *Once we got to the first major T which last time we went left towards Fisher Towers, this time we stayed on Onion Creek Road and were on new territory. *Shortly after turning onto the new trail Michael stopped. *So I rode up next to him and he said he had to take a leak. *He jumped off of his bike and went into the brush. *While I was waiting and looking at my map, I heard a loud crunch next to me. *I looked over and saw his bike on it's side. *When he parked it, he didn't ensure that the kick stand was lower than the Center of gravity so the bike was completely vertical when he got off and a wind came by and blew it over. *Quite funny. He came back acting like it was my fault. *Even though I have been preaching to him the whole trip to make sure that his kick stand is properly set.

A little ways in, while going up a rocky curve, Michael decided correctly that it would be best not to try to climb over a nice size rock which was on the left side of the trail, however the trail was pretty steep so he stalled and laid it down on its right side. *This caused me to have to stop and subsequently lay mine down as well. *We got his vertical and up the hill. *We then righted mine, and a guy that was passing in an SUV, jumped out to assist us in getting my GSA up the rocky steep curved hill. *We then helped him with directions since we have numerous digital and paper means of direction. *

We then continued on. We rode down another intimidating hill but it wasn't too bad after completing it. *After some more trail and time, Michael stopped and asked if I wanted to take lead with a shit eating grin on his face. *I asked why. He shrugged his shoulders and said the "I don't know". I then replied, " oh you mean because leading is harder than following and you have to find your own way?". He didn't reply, smirked and rode on taking lead again. *A little while later we began to traverse up this decent sized rocky hill. *I was about 60 feet behind him when he stopped and laid it down again. *I stopped and asked what he thought. *He just shook his head. *I then said, I think we will call it.

This photo actually shows how steep of a spot and how rocky it was where he stopped and dropped it and we decided to turn back.

He walked down to me and helped me turn my bike around down hill using the technique we learned from the Rawhyde off road DVD. *This is another thing I would recommend getting if you can't take the course.*

Here I am taking a picture from the bottom of the hill after we turned my bike round and I rode it to the bottom. *You can see him at the very top waiting for me to run back up and help him turn his bike around. *

Another picture but it doesn't do it justice.

Once I was down the hill and parked out of the way, I ran back up the hill and we righted his bike, and spun it around using the same technique. *Here is a video.
(((((((((((VIDEO)))))))))))):
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...t/cc6ea318.mp4

He then rode the bike down, a little too fast for my taste, but got it to the bottom.*
((((((((((VIDEO)))))))))):
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...t/c746083f.mp4

*I then took the lead to get us out and to get some video of michael riding behind me. *We made it back to the original T in the road and road up to what I think is Fisher tower and made some food. *We left a Mountain House Rasberry cheesecake Freeze Dried Dessert at someone's camp since they weren't there to say hello.
((((((((((VIDEO))))))))):
http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/...t=880d448c.mp4

Michael teebowing.

We then rode out. *We took this pace a little quicker having a little fun. *Near the beginning of the Onion Creek Road on our way out a rock flew up into Michaels front fender after crossing a stream and broke the back half of it off. *Other than that we made it out to 128 and aired our tires up again and checked our bikes for any unnoticed damage.

On the return ride, south on 128 back to Moab we rode it hard and fast. *I figured I would give him his speed fix since we didn't get to spend a whole lot of time off road due to the Colorado snow delay earlier in the week. *

I will post a link to the POV HD trail camera when I get back home. *There should be some good ones.

Once back at the room, we cleaned up and collapsed in our beds for some well deserved rest.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 01:06 AM
Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #40
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
I hope your son knows how lucky he is. I would pay anything to do this adventure with my Dad.

Looks like your having a great time !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Just Paul screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 01:38 AM
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #41
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Great report. Still enjoying it. I was through that same area two weeks ago with my son on the back of my 950. We were then back in the area this past weekend the same time you were there, but we were riding dirt bikes and camping with the family for 4 days in the White Wash area (between Moab and Green River).

Friday was horribly windy but maybe you were sheltered from some of it down in the canyon along the Colorado River.

I'll be through there again in about 4 weeks, riding the Kokopelli and Top of the World. I can't wait and your pictures make me even more excited.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #42
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
Nice trip

That thar is some heavy laden maidens ya used on your backcountry, sand trap, steep hill, middle of nowhere ridin'.

Nice report. I hope you are out enough days where you can actually start to relax and erase the scowl/frown on your noggin. Sure have been there and lived through that...

Good on you for taking your son on such a great adventure.

Keep it coming.
Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #43
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 520
Utah has some amazing scenery!
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #44
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Sorry for the intermission but tax season calls

We made it back Thursday night at about 10 PM however I have not had a chance to update the blog or photos seeing how I have to dick around with our taxes. I'm still not sure why I am dicking with these seeing how the government can't even balance of their books. The hypocrisy is astounding.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Saturday April 7th, Moab to Wyoming

Saturday April 7th.
We got up around 0900 and rode to the nearest car wash. *We sprayed the bikes off and checked for any more damage. *We found a fracture on Michael's right side crash bar in the same spot of the left crash bar. *It was only half way through though and opted to let it be since we were finished with off road riding. *Once home we will take them both off re-weld them correctly and have them re powder coated. *I had Michael check the chain tension while I was trying to identify the bulb. *He said it was within spec but at the high end. He then halfass lubed the chain with chain lube while I was on the phone.
We then road to the nearest auto part store and picked up a replacement H 7 bulb for my bike which again was extremely easy to replace. * We then rode to Denny's and filled up on breakfast. *While at breakfast I had a thought about him checking his chain tension and thought it would be best if it was checked with all of the gear and boxes taken off. *He checked it again and said it was closer to spec without all the gear. *I then had him relube the chain with the small spray can correctly. *We then packed it all back on and then headed north east again on 128 one final time. *Once on 70, we headed east and stopped in Grand Junction. *We stopped at the Grand Junction Harley Davidson/BMW/KTM dealership to get some swag. Weird combination for a dealership, but hey. *

We then road to Rifle Colorado and headed north on Colorado 13. Nice ride, but once the sun set it got cold. *We stopped to get gas and eat a gas station sandwich and a power bar.

We stopped in Craig Colorado at the ELK RUN INN for the night. *Another highly recommended family owned motel. *