Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Watch out for auctions of high demand items. They can go high. I use a sniping service for stuff I really don't want to loose. If you need a sniping service write me a PM I'll give you the web page for a good one and it's free. If you don't know about using a sniping service I'll try to explain it. It saves money.

I've often wondered about "sniping". What's the benefit if ebay lets you specify a maximum bid? How can sniping be faster than ebay bidding for you?

I haven't lost an action yet, and I've never reached the maximum bid I specified on any of them.
(maybe I just buy stuff nobody else wants?)

Nemmind. Sniping doesn't help if your maximum bid is sufficiently high. (which would, of course, be the case with the sniper as well)

caponerd screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 10:13 AM
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
I've often wondered about "sniping". What's the benefit if ebay lets you specify a maximum bid? How can sniping be faster than ebay bidding for you?
It allows you to not place an initial bid. That way nobody knows you're bidding on it until the very end of the auction. If you place an initial bid with a maximum early on and someone bids against you, then the auction inevitably ends higher than it otherwise would. Sniping can potentially save you some dough.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
It allows you to not place an initial bid. That way nobody knows you're bidding on it until the very end of the auction. If you place an initial bid with a maximum early on and someone bids against you, then the auction inevitably ends higher than it otherwise would. Sniping can potentially save you some dough.

That's a good point. That's mentioned in the article I linked to in my edit, but they also mention a problem with the sniping strategy when you have a "buy it now" option.
Until there's a first bid, anyone who thinks the buy it now price is acceptible can buy it out from under the "sniper".

And in regards to motorcycle parts, the buy it now price is often a pretty good price. (the instrument cluster I got was listed at $150 "buy it now". Why should I bother with an auction for that price?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,000
It depends on several variables. A buy it now price can change my strategy. I also use the in house bidding machine at Ebay for somethings, mostly stuff I'm really trying to steal and under bid.

But for those things that are "Must Win" auctions, I put in a low bid, if the starting bid is low enough, and my real bid comes from a Sniping Service. I also will pay a few dollars more than something is worth because I do not like to loose. And I spend a lot of time looking for the item I want. I currently don't need, really need, any parts so I'm not spending any time on Ebay.

If you have your real bid in Ebay and every time somebody else bids you take the lead with a higher bid, that kind of thing, some people will just keep bidding, till you run out of money. You Loose. Sniping saves money. You win more auctions with sniping. Write me if you want a good sniping service. It's free or they will take a small payment for additional service, this is explained on their site. I recommend them.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
I've use a sniping service because prices tend to remail low, when bidders think that no ones interested in an item.

Also, aside from the folks who'll keep nudging the bids up till they out-bid you, some smart sellers will use a seperate account to do the same thing and increase thier profit margin. (Yes it's illegal and yes, folks do crap like that.)

Get a sniping service, enter your maximum bid and sit back and wait.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #21
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
It depends on several variables. A buy it now price can change my strategy. I also use the in house bidding machine at Ebay for somethings, mostly stuff I'm really trying to steal and under bid.

But for those things that are "Must Win" auctions, I put in a low bid, if the starting bid is low enough, and my real bid comes from a Sniping Service. I also will pay a few dollars more than something is worth because I do not like to loose. And I spend a lot of time looking for the item I want. I currently don't need, really need, any parts so I'm not spending any time on Ebay.

If you have your real bid in Ebay and every time somebody else bids you take the lead with a higher bid, that kind of thing, some people will just keep bidding, till you run out of money. You Loose. Sniping saves money. You win more auctions with sniping. Write me if you want a good sniping service. It's free or they will take a small payment for additional service, this is explained on their site. I recommend them.

I only bid on things I really want, and establish how much I'm willing to pay before I bid. If there's a buy it now price that's within my limit, I just buy the thing.
Otherwise, I'll put in my maximum bid and let ebay handle it for me. I usually wait until the last couple of hours before I place my first bid, but I've occasionally just placed a bid when I first saw an item because I didn't want to come back later to bid on it.
Both sniping and proxy bidding depend on your maximum bid, so they're going to keep you out of trouble with bidding wars.
I've never payed more than I thought I should have yet. In fact, I'm sending a guy $30 extra because I got a watch last week for $50 that I was willing to go as high as $150 for.
Was fully prepared to spend the $150 I budgeted for the watch (a like new condition 1986 Sieko that sold originally for $285), so even though it sounds stupid, I mailed the seller another $30 after I got the watch. Nobody else bid on it, I have no idea why.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
I'm sending a guy $30 extra because I got a watch last week for $50 that I was willing to go as high as $150 for.
Was fully prepared to spend the $150 I budgeted for the watch (a like new condition 1986 Sieko that sold originally for $285), so even though it sounds stupid, I mailed the seller another $30 after I got the watch. Nobody else bid on it, I have no idea why.
Caponerd,

You are just too nice a guy. That was really nice of you to do. I bet the guy needed the money.

If I see an item that I know is worth $20 and with shipping I will win it for $22. Then I'll go that high. An extra $2 for something I want is OK. Something worth $100, I go $110. I always compute the shipping in my bids. It is part of the cost of getting it to my door. I go a couple of dollars more than I think it's worth, sometimes.

After almost 15 years on Ebay I think I've learned a thing or two. Don't buy stuff that has bad pictures. Don't deal with sellers trying to sell junk, mis-listing parts or tools. Don't like to deal with sellers that act like they are idiots, either they are stupid or their act is trying to gain some advantage. Don't buy multiple items from people that don't offer a break on shipping. If they save money on shipping I expect to have some what reduced charges. I know they may have an inconvinience but I don't expect stuff for free. I just want some of the reduced cost to be mine for being part of the deal.

I prefer the individual type seller as opposed to the larger businesses.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Caponerd,

You are just too nice a guy. That was really nice of you to do. I bet the guy needed the money.
This was listed as his second ebay sale. I thought he deserved more than $50.

I have yet to sell anything on ebay.

I just hope when I finally get around to offering all my extra Royal Enfield twin cylinder parts on ebay, the buyers will be as kind to me being a new seller.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
Sic Semper Tyrannis OP

Oddometer: 498
My favorite sniping service....

https://www.myibidder.com/

I snipe or buy it now everything.

I can't watch the clock tick down ad stay rational!!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I used to set a clock and plan on being home to put my bid in in the last couple of seconds. Later I was a bit limited in my sniping activities by virtue of the fact I used a computer at the public library for Ebay, everything else too since I didn't own a computer. Now I've discovered true idle pleasure and don't worry about making the deadline because of the snipping service I use. There is also a lot of discussion on this site explaining why and how they do this. I am also a paying member because it provides a little better security that your bid will be recorded, this is also explained on the site.

http://www.gixen.com/index.php

SST posted his site so I guess I can post mine too.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #26
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 43,895
Sumbitch. Found one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R100RS-SPEED...ht_5347wt_1187

And, per your request, it's under $250.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #27
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Sumbitch. Found one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R100RS-SPEED...ht_5347wt_1187

And, per your request, it's under $250.

OP, the buy it now price of $220 isn't bad. If I was looking for one now, I'd go for that.

Oops, that's one of the Joan Claybrook "murdercycle" 85mph specials. If your old speedometer is in good enough shape, you can switch it over. If it's not, I'd look for a different cluster.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #28
Sic Semper Tyrannis OP

Couple options out there now.

Thanks you all!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #29
Sic Semper Tyrannis OP

Got one in nice shape off ebay for 130'ish.

Swapped the speedo head to keep my mileage and back in business.

So good to ride the airhead again!!!

Ric

Here is a pic in all her R80S glory.....