Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
KLIM QnA: GORE-TEX

Hello ladies, gentlemen and the rest of us,

If you were to assume we here at KLIM receive daily questions about the technologies we incorporate into our gear, you'd be right on. While we have our standard answers and can often spew-at-length on intriguing topics like Denier, Non-newtonian dilatant fluid properties and conductive heat loss, sometimes there's often a much better way. Sometimes, we're able to direct these inquiries straight to the source for an exceptional answer without the fluff of marketing departments (me) or salesmen. This opportunity is approaching next week with one of our most dynamically functional material and construction technology partners: GORE-TEX.

From Tuesday-Thursday of next week (March 27th-29th), GORE-TEX representatives will be in-house at KLIM's Idaho HQ. During this time, I'd like to present questions to them straight from ADV-dom. So, please fill this thread with your questions, thoughts, concerns and ideas related to KLIM and GORE-TEX.

I will personally conduct (and hopefully video) a QnA interview with Doug Graham, a long-time W.L. Gore and Associates rep, as well as KLIM developers and designers (if questions are relevant to their projects). The end result should be a great conversation. Every time I speak with Doug I learn something new so this is an exciting project for gear nerds.

As with all interviews, better questions get better answers. Feel free to hit us with any questions you have about GORE-TEX and how KLIM utilizes the tech in our gear. Thanks in advance for dropping us a line right here!

-JZ at KLIM
KLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,228
As a FYI, San Jose BMW is now a stocking KLIM dealer.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,377
Make some big boy sizes... You market some great stuff but it's all too small... I need at least 4XL stuff...
Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
my wife wants small gore-tex womens specific gear! when's it coming?
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 299
I Have a Badlands with Pro GoreTex, which I assume is a generation 3 or more? What is the differences from past Gore and how is it better?
I heard it is more waterproof (like really guaranteed) and it also breathes better than previous.
My suit allows a ton of airflow (just got last Nov) but have not been in rain...this winter it either snows in NoAz or its sunny and I ride.

I have always felt that dirt and oil will coat the Gore pores and cause failure and that cleaning is constantly necessary?
When washing should a complete Nikwax treatment be used or similer, ie washing, soaking and spraying then drying in a dryer (and how hot?) or air dry?

In previous Gore Tex products of top competetors I have experienced failure, always. I am hoping for the opposite with Klim's products.
Compare PRO to that used in the Latitude and expected results.

Allen
PS love your designs and quality- all top drawer products. Thank You.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Great questions! Keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
I Have a Badlands with Pro GoreTex, which I assume is a generation 3 or more? What is the differences from past Gore and how is it better?
I heard it is more waterproof (like really guaranteed) and it also breathes better than previous.
My suit allows a ton of airflow (just got last Nov) but have not been in rain...this winter it either snows in NoAz or its sunny and I ride.

I have always felt that dirt and oil will coat the Gore pores and cause failure and that cleaning is constantly necessary?
When washing should a complete Nikwax treatment be used or similer, ie washing, soaking and spraying then drying in a dryer (and how hot?) or air dry?

In previous Gore Tex products of top competetors I have experienced failure, always. I am hoping for the opposite with Klim's products.
Compare PRO to that used in the Latitude and expected results.

Allen
PS love your designs and quality- all top drawer products. Thank You.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
+ 1 to the question "Should a Nikwax proofing treatment be done after each Nikwax Techwash?"
Billy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,130
Further on the cleaning/reproofing question. How often should a Pro shell suit be washed? Is there such thing as too much? Does washing keep it more waterproof, or just more breathable?

Great thread. Thanks!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 780
How about the KLIM / Goretex approved cleaning regime for the different suits (if the requirements are different).

1. Do we need to use a special soap (i.e. Nikwax)?

2. Should a Nikwax proofing treatment be done after each Nikwax Techwash?

3. Anything else that is applicable.

Some other questions:

1. Why didn't you use a full strip of velcro on the Traverse suit on the front storm flap?

2. Why not make the neck on the Traverse adjustable.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
SoCalJeff
In the wind

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
How about the KLIM / Goretex approved cleaning regime for the different suits (if the requirements are different).

1. Do we need to use a special soap (i.e. Nikwax)?

2. Should a Nikwax proofing treatment be done after each Nikwax Techwash?

3. Anything else that is applicable.

Some other questions:

1. Why didn't you use a full strip of velcro on the Traverse suit on the front storm flap?

2. Why not make the neck on the Traverse adjustable.

Took the words right off of my keyboard.

I've been curious to learn best cleaning practices. I have just about everything KLIM makes at this point
Traverse pants and jacket
Dakar pants
Bad Lands Pro jacket and pants
Waiting a while on the Adventure Suit

The last thing I would want to do is use the wrong product and shorten the lifespan of my gear.

Looking forward to watching the progression of this thread.

Thank you KLiM!!!!
SoCalJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
How waterproof is "waterproof"?

I got caught in heavy rain (and snow) in Baja last week and after several hours of riding the crotch was wet. This was with a new pair of Traverse pants. Normal?

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
My question is...

On the Rally jacket, does fuzzing on the sleeves affect the waterproofing or have any other adverse consequences? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Awesome stuff. Doug is excited to give direct feedback on GORE-TEX and I'll try to get with some product developers on the product-specific questions ASAP as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
How waterproof is "waterproof"?

I got caught in heavy rain (and snow) in Baja last week and after several hours of riding the crotch was wet. This was with a new pair of Traverse pants. Normal?
This happened to me too although the leakage was also in the chest area of my Traverse jacket as well as the crutch of the pants.
I rode in heavy rain for around 100klm.
I did the Nikwax thing (wash and proof) and haven't tested it since but will soon.
Billy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
This happened to me too although the leakage was also in the chest area of my Traverse jacket as well as the crutch of the pants.
I rode in heavy rain for around 100klm.
I did the Nikwax thing (wash and proof) and haven't tested it since but will soon.
So to both Billy Pilgrim and MJS, do you think it was the Goretex leaking, or the water being forced through the zips? (crotch and jacket) Looking at my new Traverse suit, I am worried about the water being forced through the zips by wind pressure as there seems to be nothing to stop the water running to those points. I know the jacket has a small "storm" flap, but I think to be really effective it should have been much wider and covered the zip and folded back over itself.

I must say though, the suit works really well. 2 months I have owned it and it is yet to rain on me

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote