Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
No. Surface fuzzing of face fabrics will not affect waterproof breathable performance. In fact, we've had crash damaged gear that still passes in-house waterproof tests with some serious carnage. As always, the Customer Service team here is awesome. Don't hesitate to contact them if you ever have a question. Or PM us here. That works, too. If we need to direct to CS, we'll do so and have them contact you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
My question is...

On the Rally jacket, does fuzzing on the sleeves affect the waterproofing or have any other adverse consequences? Thanks.
KLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
is there a recommended way to affix patches such as rally patches,adv patches,ect. without damaging waterproofing or avoid warranty being void.(obviously i dont want to take a needle to my nice coat)

a bunch of KTM's and a 1950 PANHEAD
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #33
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLIM View Post
Yes, I'm answering this with more questions.

1. Where would a full strip of hook/loop benefit versus having the pieces the Traverse currently uses?

2. Adjustable in what way? Up/down/bigger/smaller/front/back/for neck brace/etc.
1. The wind gets between the pieces and causes the flap to puff up. I think this will make it easy for rain to get in. Certainly it feels like a draft is getting in there. I feel full Velcro and flap that went over the zip and folded back on itself would solve this.

2. I want to be able to get it tighter to stop wind blowing down there. The single stud doesn't do it go me

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #34
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
my wife wants small gore-tex womens specific gear! When's it coming?
+1000
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #35
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Thank you for the clarification. Good points all around. I'll forward to the R&D department right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
1. The wind gets between the pieces and causes the flap to puff up. I think this will make it easy for rain to get in. Certainly it feels like a draft is getting in there. I feel full Velcro and flap that went over the zip and folded back on itself would solve this.

2. I want to be able to get it tighter to stop wind blowing down there. The single stud doesn't do it go me
Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #36
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Good one, Blinker. This isn't easy to do without technically miffing the warranty but I believe there is a way. Even heat transfer decals can be put on improperly and mess things up. I'll inquire and get back to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINKER 152 View Post
is there a recommended way to affix patches such as rally patches,adv patches,ect. without damaging waterproofing or avoid warranty being void.(obviously i dont want to take a needle to my nice coat)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #37
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Question

We recently bought 2 Latitude suits. What do you recommend to attach the collar when open? Simple Velcro? I assume washing the suits a few times may soften up the material too eh?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #38
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
+1000
Spent over a grand on Rev it crap for my wife because she doesn't want to look like a man in her gear or deal with the discomfort of items that don't fit.

Side by side, the rev it stuff is junk compared to KLIM.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #39
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. Good points all around. I'll forward to the R&D department right away.
It has been my observation that full length velcro is a sponge and will "wicK" water into the jacket pretty quickly. I prefer snaps for this reason.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #40
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
We recently bought 2 Latitude suits. What do you recommend to attach the collar when open? Simple Velcro? I assume washing the suits a few times may soften up the material too eh?
I have a new Latitude suit as well. The collar is very annoying, specifically the lack of something to hold it open when the jacket is not fully zipped. I noticed the badlands jacket has this feature.

I want to add something to the jacket to fix this. Will I void my warranty to glue on some velcro to fix this?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #41
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Spent over a grand on Rev it crap for my wife because she doesn't want to look like a man in her gear or deal with the discomfort of items that don't fit.

I have been a revit fan for years, a friend of mine said look at the Klim gear.....there really is no comparison. Klim has definitely raised the bar as far as quality goes.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #42
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post

Have your wife look at the Latitude. Adjustable waist straps allow to make her look like she has a figure if she wants that as well as the pants waist can be adjusted too. Straps on the arms keeps them lean looking and no flapping. Can't hurt for her to try one on for size and look.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #43
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
GORE-TEX(r) and KLIM are working hard to develop the next generation of truly waterproof and durably waterproof gloves that offer maximum tactility. It's not a small task. Right now, a summer-weight, waterproof glove doesn't exist. The Inversion Glove (WINDSTOPPER) is good for most of our snowmobilers down to well below zero with heated grips (some carry multiple pairs). But, in summer temps, even when wet, you'll likely overheat in something like that. It's nearly impossible to have a ventilated/waterproof glove--which is sort of what you need.

The big challenge is not wearing through the inside of the waterproof/breathable membrane. It's all about durability. If we can't make it last, we don't like to make it. And our standards of waterproof are different than others. If you want it water resistant, then that's doable. If you want it waterproof, well, we're working on it :)
The big challenge is getting your hand in a waterproof glove when your hand is even "moist".

I almost couldn't get my Klim PowerXross Gloves on because of the liner bunching up around barely moist, maybe "clammy", but not wet, hands.

Is this a typical issue?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #44
KLIM OP
Adventurer

A little clarification here for those getting deep. I misspoke in the quote below. Technically, any time you add a layer you reduce the rate of breathability over time. This goes for adding base and mid-layer clothing, heated gear, bedazzled underwear, etc.

So, apples-to-apples, comparing identical face fabrics and GORE-TEX membranes in 2L and 3L configurations, the 2L will have more breathability (water vapor has one less slice to navigate through). Comfort can and often is independent to the rate of breathability. After all, there's a reason you add a layer to control heat loss, you don't want to be cold. So, much of this is really nit-picking at the intricacies of breathability. But it's fun to get into.

If you enter the Pro Shell realm, this is not the case. 3L Pro Shell is engineered with a unique membrane structure that increases breathability compared to standard 3L GORE-TEX. Essentially, the 3L Pro gives you equal-to-or-better-than 2L breathability with more durability.

Quote:

Layers: GORE-TEX(r) products are made in two or three layer composites. Two-layer GORE-TEX(r) is simply the GORE-TEX(r) membrane laminated to the face fabric. There is generally a sewn-in hanging liner inside the garment in this construction to protect the inside of the laminate from abrasion. Three-Layer GORE-TEX(r) has a lining material laminated to it on the inside as well. Three-layer is almost always more durable and has increased levels of breathability thanks to the properties of the inner-laminated fabric.

OK, back to the answers. Look for replies to direct posts.

-JZ
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #45
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 762
The glove thing is the biggest issue for me. PLEASE-make a glove with lining that allows the hand to go into and out of the glove several times a day. As in riding five hundred miles in the rain and having to stop for gas.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote