Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #61
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Hi Mr Klim, my last Adventure Rally jacket ( now replaced under warranty due to lots of fabric fuzzing ) couldnt keep my ciggarettes dry in the top chest pockets in a light rainshower in winter , the rep I spoke to said the pockets are not waterproof ! Is this true ? and if so why the gore lockout closures ?
Dont get me wrong I love the Jacket and I have never gotten wet !
Just asking for some clarification , my replacement hasnt seen rain yet.
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #62
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
back!

Sorry for the delay. A lot going on up here in Idaho. Chasing snow for catalog snowmobile shoots and looking for places without snow for fun in the dirt--we're conflicted! Love it.

I'm catching up on questions/topics in this thread today. Thanks for the patience. Some good questions coming up, like always.
KLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #63
muck
new york

Oddometer: 81
Hat

How about a full brim hat
muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #64
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,029
Make more riding jerseys........ maybe a Jonah Street rally jersey!!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #65
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Xeraux,

We completely understand. Developing a glove lining that is comfortable, works in concert with GORE-TEX, conforms to strict material specs (can't wick moisture outside the cuff, etc.) and provides some level of warmth while still allowing a clammy hand to easily slide in and out is a challenge. I've given feedback to the R&D team (they're watching the thread as well). Look for more KLIM gloves in the motorcycle lineup in the next few seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I'm not talking about wet hands. I'm talking about after you've dried them they're still a little moist. It's like trying to slide Velcro™.

This.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #66
KLIM OP
Adventurer

mouse explody (interesting mental picture here) ,

I have a pocket response but I'm checking with the product team to make sure it's relevant to the ADV Rally Jacket in particular. In general, all billowed cargo pockets are not 100% waterproof from the outside due to the seam where the pocket meets the jacket not being seam sealed. Flush pockets and internal pockets are 100% waterproof (obviously). Sounds like your smokes are getting wet faster than water finding it's way through a seam where the pocket connects. So I'll see what we can find out in more detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingmouse View Post
Hi Mr Klim, my last Adventure Rally jacket ( now replaced under warranty due to lots of fabric fuzzing ) couldnt keep my ciggarettes dry in the top chest pockets in a light rainshower in winter , the rep I spoke to said the pockets are not waterproof ! Is this true ? and if so why the gore lockout closures ?
Dont get me wrong I love the Jacket and I have never gotten wet !
Just asking for some clarification , my replacement hasnt seen rain yet.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #67
KLIM OP
Adventurer

Here's your official stick-stuff-on-stuff response

Sewn-on patches: The only real way to do this is to sewn them on then go in, detach the liner at the bottom hem, and then get inside and seam seal where you stitch them on. Another option is to do them on a pocket which has Gore-Tex on the back-side of the pocket. For example if you have a cargo pocket, which is not seam sealable, then you could put the sew on patch on that pocket without affecting the waterproofness/warranty of the jacket. The jacke twill still be water-proof, but the pocket will not be as water resistant due to the stitching holes and thread going through the face.

Iron-on or Stick-on: Iron-on decals or patches should be no problem, but are sometimes difficult because of the DWR finish on the surface of the Gore-Tex fabric. I have seen it done, but sometimes they just do not stick for very long. Jonah did this on one of his jackets and they stayed on but all the corners were peeling up by the end of the rally...It is definitely possible to use heat transfer film, they would just need to test them for adhesion. Our Stow Away jacket has many heat transfer logos and reflective areas so the heat transfer thing can be done, for sure. It's just not as detailed as a patch can be.

The end story, if you put a needle through the jacket where it can affect the waterproofness, you may come into warranty voiding issues. On top of billowed, cargo pockets--not so big of a deal.

If you EVER have questions on your warranty. Call the customer service team at 208-552-7433

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINKER 152 View Post
is there a recommended way to affix patches such as rally patches,adv patches,ect. without damaging waterproofing or avoid warranty being void.(obviously i dont want to take a needle to my nice coat)
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #68
KLIM OP
Adventurer

hookie and loopie

Typically when you run Hook/Loop down something as long as the entire length of the center front closure it makes that area really stiff and, therefore, uncomfortable because it doesn’t bend well. Also it can be inconvenient and annoying because the way most flaps are constructed to keep water out, they want to close on themselves so you can imagine trying to keep the Hook/Loop apart as you unzip and zip the jacket etc.

Also, Hook/Loop is a great closure and it likes to close at will. Getting your flap lined up with the zipper without wrinkles is nearly impossible. It's like pushing an air bubble or wrinkle out of decal or a sticker. It can be aggravating! We know, we've tried it :)

A possible improvment on the current design could be more and bigger patches of the closure material down the strip. The team doubts we'd develop and test a full strip of the stuff successfully, But bigger patches to add more strength and so you don't have to be as precise with lining it up could be a good solution to riders that are having issues like yours.

Excellent feedback that the geniuses in the dungeon are taking into consideration for future designs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
1. The wind gets between the pieces and causes the flap to puff up. I think this will make it easy for rain to get in. Certainly it feels like a draft is getting in there. I feel full Velcro and flap that went over the zip and folded back on itself would solve this.

2. I want to be able to get it tighter to stop wind blowing down there. The single stud doesn't do it go me
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #69
KLIM OP
Adventurer

I just got off the phone with GORE-TEX and brought this up to them. Here's what they said:

Two options for embroidered patches or anything sewn on:

1. Put the patch on your backpack, luggage, or something else rather than on your high-tech riding jacket
2. In the off-season, or whenever you feel like separating from your jacket for a while, send the Jacket and Patch(es) to a GORE-TEX repair facility. They can put the patch on wherever you'd like and seam seal the backside to full waterproofness and warranty goodness. I'm checking with the KLIM repair team to see if we offer this option in-house here at the office. I know we have the equipment and know-how, just not sure what the program is.

I can refer you to other facilities in the U.S. and Canada that can handle this if we aren't able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLIM View Post
Sewn-on patches: The only real way to do this is to sewn them on then go in, detach the liner at the bottom hem, and then get inside and seam seal where you stitch them on. Another option is to do them on a pocket which has Gore-Tex on the back-side of the pocket. For example if you have a cargo pocket, which is not seam sealable, then you could put the sew on patch on that pocket without affecting the waterproofness/warranty of the jacket. The jacke twill still be water-proof, but the pocket will not be as water resistant due to the stitching holes and thread going through the face.

Iron-on or Stick-on: Iron-on decals or patches should be no problem, but are sometimes difficult because of the DWR finish on the surface of the Gore-Tex fabric. I have seen it done, but sometimes they just do not stick for very long. Jonah did this on one of his jackets and they stayed on but all the corners were peeling up by the end of the rally...It is definitely possible to use heat transfer film, they would just need to test them for adhesion. Our Stow Away jacket has many heat transfer logos and reflective areas so the heat transfer thing can be done, for sure. It's just not as detailed as a patch can be.

The end story, if you put a needle through the jacket where it can affect the waterproofness, you may come into warranty voiding issues. On top of billowed, cargo pockets--not so big of a deal.

If you EVER have questions on your warranty. Call the customer service team at 208-552-7433
Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #70
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Hi-Vis colors?

What are the possibilities of getting your Adventure, Badlands, or Latitude jackets in a hi-vis color option?

I know you don't have the super-bright yellow in your product line anywhere, but something like the striking blue you offer in your Valdez Parka or even the orange of your Powerxross Pullover would be almost as nice as the hi-vis yellow so many other manufacturers now offer.

Your current black and grey color schemes just don't stand out enough in low-light conditions for me to feel comfortable wearing them. I suspect I am not alone, based on comments left in other Klim-oriented threads on this forum.

I know hi-vis vests can be worn over the jackets, but they are such a pain to get on and off, easily block pocket access, and tend to flap about in the wind.

Your thoughts, KLIM?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #71
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
thanks for the detailed responses here. i like option two here. if you have the equipment and know-how to do it in house then it might be a nice thing for you guys to offer for your customers(at a price of course). option one... yeah i get it, but for those who may actually use this as a rally jacket, luggage and backpaks arent usually a part of the deal. and i would very much like to put patches on my high tech rally jacket honestly the pocket flap idea is great, and probably the way i'll go.
thanks again,look forward to the banter here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLIM View Post
I just got off the phone with GORE-TEX and brought this up to them. Here's what they said:

Two options for embroidered patches or anything sewn on:

1. Put the patch on your backpack, luggage, or something else rather than on your high-tech riding jacket
2. In the off-season, or whenever you feel like separating from your jacket for a while, send the Jacket and Patch(es) to a GORE-TEX repair facility. They can put the patch on wherever you'd like and seam seal the backside to full waterproofness and warranty goodness. I'm checking with the KLIM repair team to see if we offer this option in-house here at the office. I know we have the equipment and know-how, just not sure what the program is.

I can refer you to other facilities in the U.S. and Canada that can handle this if we aren't able to.

a bunch of KTM's and a 1950 PANHEAD
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #72
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINKER 152 View Post
thanks for the detailed responses here. i like option two here. if you have the equipment and know-how to do it in house then it might be a nice thing for you guys to offer for your customers(at a price of course). option one... yeah i get it, but for those who may actually use this as a rally jacket, luggage and backpaks arent usually a part of the deal. and i would very much like to put patches on my high tech rally jacket honestly the pocket flap idea is great, and probably the way i'll go.
thanks again,look forward to the banter here.
On this subject; would using an adhesive velcro cause any issues with the outer surface of the jacket?
I could then attach a name patch to that using velcro and even remove it and stick a different one there if I change girlfriends (or before I get home and the wife sees it)
Thanks.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #73
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,404
Did the question about something to hold open the collar on the Latitude jacket get answered ?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #74
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
A lot less KLIM logos and lettering on the Badlands and Adventure suits would be appreciated.
Same goes for GORE logos.
While this has nothing to do with the thread, I'm going to chime in. I just bought a Tech T and I'm sending it back because of this. I'm like a walking KLIM billboard. Enough already.
bloodline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #75
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,404
Just got back from the first ride with my new Latitude jacket and pants.Temp was in the mid sixties,and a little windy.The jacket and pants were good,with one exception,the collar on the jacket.In all the years I have been riding motorcycles I have never had a jacket collar cause as much discomfort as the collar on the Latitude jacket.
I could not find a way to make the collar comfortable.The collar is too high in the front,and the zipper goes to the top of the collar.The two of them bunch up and grind on my throat,and catch on my helmet.After about 100 miles I almost took my knife to the damned thing.If I can send the jacket back to have the collar cut down about an inch in the front that would fix it.If not,can I return the jacket?If it can't be repaired or returned it will have to be sold.I can put on a Joe Rocket,Firstgear,Tourmaster,etc... and the collar has the proper cut.I hope this is just a defect.Please PM me.
Thank you,JB