User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
n8mojo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Third gear issue 71 R75/5

Hey Old Cools, I have a question that maybe some folks that have been around the airhead transmissions for a while can help with.

My '71 shifts great up and down from all gears, EXCEPT 2nd to 3rd. I'd say 75% of the time (perhaps less so when the bike is cold), the transmission doesn't engage very smoothly. It doesn't grind, but sort of rattles and I can feel in the shift lever. It's not super alarming or horrible sounding, but I want to make sure I'm not approaching some kind of failure.

I changed the transmission oil recently, and noticed a decent dab of soft fuzz around the drain plug, but I don't know when the last change was. According to the last owner, and the odometer, the bike now has 30k. I replaced the oil with Valvoline 80w-90. I have not adjusted the clutch since I got the bike.

I also noticed a description of a similar problem in the 5 united forums about 8 years ago here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/5united/message/22178. Both of his bikes were also '71.

The bike stays in gear fine once there, and once in a while I get a nice clunk when shifting into 3rd, but nothing like the other gears. It's a bit unnerving and unsatisfying hitting 3rd, so I thought I'd check here.

Nate

n8mojo screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 01:53 PM
n8mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,572
Nate,

The first (and cheapest) thing to do is to check that your clutch is adjusted in per the factory method to the factory specifications....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Chances are you need a new dog plate and your shifter fork adjusted.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
The 2-3 shift moves both forks, while the other shifts only move one. Normally this isn't even noticeable, but that might be at the root of the problem. If one of them (probably the 3-4 fork) is out of adjustment you'll get some difficulty.

Unfortunately, the trans has to come apart for that to be adjusted.

Does 4th seem to engage too eagerly?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
n8mojo OP
Adventurer

Got out for a good ride today, and noticed that if I preload the shifter it is much less likely to have difficulty engaging. Makes all gear shifts a bit smoother actually.

I can't really say it's eager to get into 4th, If my memory is serving me correctly, it does seem 3rd requires a bit longer of a shift "throw" before engaging. Or perhaps it just feels that way because it's not that confident going in.

Was actually hoping for an "oh ya, that's an airhead" but looks like I *might* have trouble on the way. I'm going to try to learn to shift it smoother and keep my eyes/ears on it. I've only had this bike since November.

Nate
Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Cam3512
Cam from NJ

Oddometer: 36
My '71 does the EXACT same thing. I need to put some more "toe" into the 2-3 shift than the others, not always a smooth "clunk". No issues on down-shift.
'74 Guzzi V7 Sport
'09 Guzzi Cali Vintage
Cam3512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
n8mojo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3512 View Post
My '71 does the EXACT same thing. I need to put some more "toe" into the 2-3 shift than the others, not always a smooth "clunk". No issues on down-shift.
Well that makes 4 of us, if I count the guy that had the same problem on 2 of his '71s from 5united.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
n8mojo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mojo View Post
Well that makes 4 of us, if I count the guy that had the same problem on 2 of his '71s from 5united.
I just finally learned to work around it by adjusting how I shift. If I'm careful, it engages perfectly. I guess every bike has it's personality and maybe we just need to work with their quirks. A blip, then release, then a quick shift up, a little voodoo, and it's all good :)

Nate
Old 04-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,671
If it seems to rattle or clunk into 2nd or 3rd that may not be abnormal. Have you tried preloading the shift lever when you shift? I wouldn't worry about repairs til it starts jumping out of gear...

--Bill