Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
F650GS pop a wheelie?

Hey Guys,
Just curious, has anyone been able to pop a wheelie on their F650gs? I see the F800's in videos do it with ease but can 10hp really make that much difference?

Ive ordered a set of 15T front n 47teeth rear sprockets for it to give it a bit more off road ability and Im hoping will also mean if i give it a little stick in first, 2nd, ill pop the front...

Cheers,
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,607
Yes. Weight back, rev it up in first gear, and pop the clutch. Don't tell my wife, as it's her bike. Keep the clutch covered, just in case you get a bit more wheelie than you bargained for, which is easy to do with the "pop the clutch" method!

The sprocket ratio is stock.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
Yes. Weight back, rev it up in first gear, and pop the clutch. Don't tell my wife, as it's her bike. Keep the clutch covered, just in case you get a bit more wheelie than you bargained for, which is easy to do with the "pop the clutch" method!

The sprocket ratio is stock.

Ha-ha......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,607
Dammit, Erling, you weren't supposed to quote that! Plausible deniability!
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Lol ok.. no telling the wife then..

What rpm do you pop the clutch at? I moved back a bit before n popped it at around 3krpm which resulted in about 1inch lift off.. I reckon the bikes heavy but my weight is probably more so the reason why..
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Lol ok.. no telling the wife then..

What rpm do you pop the clutch at? I moved back a bit before n popped it at around 3krpm which resulted in about 1inch lift off.. I reckon the bikes heavy but my weight is probably more so the reason why..
Take a topcase and a bunch of ART5 chain-locks...

You'll be popping wheelies all the time ;)
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Keep the clutch covered, just in case you get a bit more wheelie than you bargained for,

If you get more wheelie then you bargained for hit the rear brake to bring to bring it down.

My thoughts are the front wheel is required to steer, why ride around with it in the air ?
And does the oil move to the back of the engine and starve the oil pump when riding a wheelie?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
My thoughts are the front wheel is required to steer, why ride around with it in the air ?
Because the chicks dig it?

The only other "real" excuse I can think of is brief wheelies to help the front wheel over large objects like fallen logs etc....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Dammit, Erling, you weren't supposed to quote that! Plausible deniability!
Sorry Jake... It is forever now chiseled in stone....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 319
Not a great idea

Maybe why wheeling the bike on the street is not such a great idea??

http://youtu.be/1NpMNnvMfUk?t=15s
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
So, did you try this and what was the result?

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
Maybe why wheeling the bike on the street is not such a great idea??
http://youtu.be/1NpMNnvMfUk?t=15s
Wheelies on the street or track -- doesn't matter if you suck at wheelies or have bad form. You hit pavement either way. As for getting hit by a car: that's why it's best to not do wheelies in traffic, but doing them on the street is plenty fine by me. Opinions of course

Quote:
If you get more wheelie then you bargained for hit the rear brake to bring to bring it down.
This is what's referred to as "covering the rear", not covering the clutch like someone said above. And you don't want to hit the rear brake, you lightly engage it. If you slam down the rear brake while wheeling you have just created a worse situation

Quote:
I hear this comment a lot from riders that either don't know how to wheelie or don't want to take the risk to learn so they rationalize their choice, or worse, judge the guys who like to wheelie because they're jealous. It's perfectly valid to prefer safety, given that wheelies are illegal in most places and generally not as safe as having two wheels on the ground, but goddamn if they aren't addictive and fun! Prior to knowing the pleasure of a nice wheelie I too thought "damn kids better get off my lawn!" and all that, but that changed as soon as I made an effort to know otherwise. The F800 / F658 aren't great bikes for wheelies really, sure they can do 'em, but it's equivalent to joy riding a minivan; there are better bikes (sumo, dirtbikes, supersport) if you get the itch. The bigger the bike the more effort for initiation, more mass to carry and balance *just right*, and longer reaction time to adjust state.

Quote:
And does the oil move to the back of the engine and starve the oil pump when riding a wheelie?
Depends on the design of the bike and how long and to what angle/degree the wheelie is, but generally there's no issue. Generally.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice one thanks guys, I did the clutch method and slipped it to take off n soon as I had my foot on the peg i dropped it from about 3500rpm and up she came.. to about 1 foot then dropped back down again but under acceleration.

I do have a dirt bike, n popping it on that can be done in 1st or 2nd just under power.. I like that.. this popping the clutch method feels like mechanical abuse :(

I'll wait till i get the gearing changed (being shipped as we speak) and hopefully be able to power lift it.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey guys, been a while since i added to this thread.

Unfortunately I put on the different gearing and still doesnt lift under power, changed from 17/42 to 15/48

I changed it back to the 15/42 as the chain was quite tight with such a big back gear on, need a new chain before i chucked that puppy back on..

One thing i have found very fun though is wet roads n snaching 2nd gear puts the new knobbies into fish tails.. great fun, but still no wheelie :(

I need to practice more on the dirt bike but i dont have room for it and I dont want to rip the new knobbies on that apart by doing it on the road.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

anyone got a video of popping it up on a F650GS?