ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #91
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Just when a newbie liked the enduro...some A rider had to come and spoil the fun.....
ohhh well we all got to start somewhere......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLaughs View Post
The trails were great, but the pace was way too slow. It was flat out boring for 95% of the day...I would imagine I spent more time sitting or going 5 mph then actually riding. I am an A rider, however I convinced two C riders to join me for this event and they were even bored! "This is an enduro? Im going to stick to harescrambles. Thanks" Not to mention this club in particular tends to overdo it with enthusiasm on catching people off their minute...Even if it is when they are flipping the card over to the correct minute showing the rider isnt hot but merely riding at the top of his minute... Or jumping out of the woods like monkeys and screaming at you "We got another one!" Its just not necessary. Enduros are about using your noodle, I agree, but not to the point of aggrivation and bordom. There should be some skill by the rider needed to top the rest of the field. Yesterdays "timekeeping event" could have been completed on a mountain bike.

Chalk that event up to seat time and getting ready for Delaware...

Rant over.
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #92
fitz4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
Just when a newbie liked the enduro...some A rider had to come and spoil the fun.....
ohhh well we all got to start somewhere......
He prolly burned checks. Go out and have fun, that's what is about. Riding your bike in the woods all day.
fitz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #93
elrontx
Outlaw Trail Rider

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz4 View Post
He prolly burned checks. Go out and have fun, that's what is about. Riding your bike in the woods all day.
looking at watch going down a dirt road all day is kind of lame, their has to be some points takers to test riders skills otherwise why even do an enduro? you could join a math club instead.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #94
Tammy OP
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,454
I guess it's a good thing it was not up to me cuz I would beat you all down in a long deep sand whoop fest then put you in the stick farm for 5 miles and then drop 100yrs of big ass logs "redwoods" for you all to go over then I would do a C rider cut off and let the A and B guy have it.. Set the speed at 30mph with no reset and you would have a check in and only one check out.. Let 4 or 5 big cats go into the woods right before the C rider cut off only after I beat them and not feed them for 2 weeks..
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #95
elrontx
Outlaw Trail Rider

ive done this run a few years ago, the course was good but the timekeeping was kinda silly.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #96
foroffroaduseonly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
I guess it's a good thing it was not up to me cuz I would beat you all down in a long deep sand whoop fest then put you in the stick farm for 5 miles and then drop 100yrs of big ass logs "redwoods" for you all to go over then I would do a C rider cut off and let the A and B guy have it.. Set the speed at 30mph with no reset and you would have a check in and only one check out.. Let 4 or 5 big cats go into the woods right before the C rider cut off only after I beat them and not feed them for 2 weeks..
Now that sounds like a good time!
foroffroaduseonly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #97
Tammy OP
Team 2nd Wind

You liked the bit about the big cats I bet...
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #98
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Don't get me wrong, the trail was fantastic, and there is nothing "wrong" with having a timekeeping-heavy event; it is an enduro, after all. I would run this event again for sure.

However, I didn't (and I wouldn't) necessarily worry too much about being on time. Some guys might love that, but for me, having to worry about burning a check while riding through singletrack or through a stick farm isn't super appealing. And, it's certainly understandable that the fast guys would be grumpy about spending a big portion of their day waiting for the clock. The clock was on the slow side even for me, and I am not that fast.

Every person has a different preference; the opposite side of the spectrum is the start-restart format, and plenty of people complain about that too. You will never be able to hold a race with no complaints. I don't think people are being overly negative, they are just giving feedback!
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #99
Tammy OP
Team 2nd Wind

We know that. I think my post can only be taking one way or do we really have big cats

Yes it sucked to be fast but 99% it sucks to be slow. Slow guys got one on this run...
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #100
fitz4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrontx View Post
looking at watch going down a dirt road all day is kind of lame, their has to be some points takers to test riders skills otherwise why even do an enduro? you could join a math club instead.
Math clubs are fun also. If you want to race for speed do hare scrambles or motocross. This club put on an old fashioned time keeping event and did a good job at it. They strayed from the norm of racing through the woods at 30 mph and some people liked it and others didn't. That is what diversity is for.
fitz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #101
elrontx
Outlaw Trail Rider

Quote:
mabye we could put machine gun turrets on our handlebars.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #102
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Are there any results yet?

Any idea who was taking the pictures?

Quote:
You liked the bit about the big cats I bet...
Reminds me of Louis C.K. - on Human Evolution and Lions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJmtVqQSWHk
OCCR
--------------------------------
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #103
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
This club like all others is under the gun in NJ from Environmentalists and the Govt. they are lucky they had an event at all.

They actually had a better course than I expected. It could have been worse in that regard.

Yes, the speed average was WAY too slow...mostly done the keep speeds on the sand roads down by keeping EVERYONE on time all day.

I might have suggested a format of 6mph more (24) on the sections with resets as soon as you came out on the road. This way no one runs late and has to ride fast on the roads to stay on time.

6mph more would have made it fun.
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #104
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfetz View Post
I was told by a club member that the low speeds and resets were all designed to keep our speeds low in the State Forest. In the past the Rangers clocked people on radar at over 60mph. They wanted to prevent speeding and I guess they achieved that goal.
Put resets as soon as you leave the section and enter the road.

That would do the same thing and not bore people to sleep.
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #105
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXS View Post
Are there any results yet?

Any idea who was taking the pictures?
]
What? You actually want to see the results or see the pics that were taken? Don't you know those are closely guarded secrets?
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote