User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,055
New (Al) mirror mounts for KTM folding mirrors

New (Al) mirror mounts for KTM folding mirrors.

I bought a set of KTM folding mirrors and although you can fold them from harms way during off-road riding, it in not indestructible like Ned's Doubletake mirrors. Wish i had bought Ned's mirrors but, i have the KTM folding mirrors and would like to not spend another 100$ again on mirrors.

The problem i faced with the KTM folding mirrors is this :

I've been using these folding mirrors on my 990Adv since 1.5years (untill i sold my bike) and had a few get offs where they came out tops !!! awesome mirrors that can take a beating.

However, recently i dropped the bike on a low speed left hand sharp turn on a steep incline with smooth baby heads, while it was pouring wet. The mirrors were unfortunately, not folded in and the left mirror took a hit at the critical spot & angle and the plastic mounting elbow (not sure if that's what its called) broke.

the broken mirror

this is where it broke

You can buy these plastic parts separately but they are 24$ apiece.

So, i came up with this solution.

These are cast aluminium mounts with the right thread size to suit the KTM folding mirrors. They are not fancy schmancy billet items machined on a million dollar CNC machine using a solid block of un-obtainium alloy which weighed 1 kilo, but, they do the job. They need to be weaker than the clutch/brake master cylinder mounts so that they will break before damaging the MCs. Cast aluminium takes care of that, while being stronger than plastic, and hence won't break as easily.

I got a set made to replace my existing ones and another as spares. Then i thought i'd offer these up for you folks if there was going to be any interest.

please post up in this thread with your reply if you are interested including quantity and i'll get back with estimated price. And oh, this is not a business but i'm merely offering something that i "think" might be useful to fellow ADV'ers for your benefit so, please keep that in consideration.

cheers guys.
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,360
um, sand castings yeah? clever!
How much for a left and right?... cheers
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Yes, its sand cast Alu.

edit: there is no difference between left and right for these. You just turn them around appropriately.

They charged me 100US$ as i got only two sets (4 pcs as pictured) made but said that, with a large enough batch say 20-30 sets, it might come down to just under 45US$ per set (2 mounts). Shipping by post shouldn't cost more than 8US$ and might work out cheaper if i ship a bunch of mounts to one location (country) where an inmate takes the responsibility of local (country) distribution. It will also save me the hassle of running back and forth to the post office and packaging individual sets.

So, for now we can consider that a set of mounts will cost roughly 50-60US$ shipped.

cheers.

Vicks screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 05:46 AM
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

So, I guess not many people are interested in this solution ? any reasons. Don't wanna waste my time working on something many don't see of use.....
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

OK guys, I got a bunch (5 sets) of the mirror mounts done.

As you can see they are just blanks at the moment and I need to drill then out appropriately and tap them for the M8 stalks of the mirror.

The final costs look like this :
Al mount - 25$/piece

Shipping options (worldwide)
regular postal service, takes 2 weeks - 7$
expedited postal service, takes 3-5 days - 25$

pick your shipping options and PM me. let me know if you need more details. Paypal accepted.

anybody interested in these, pls let me know.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
looks nice.

$25/piece + shipping.

i surely like it, but for that price, i have to give it a little more thinking.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 536
Now you need to make the matching base units.
The base units are designed to break. There are threads on this.
See how the base bolt is machined very thin.
FAR the mirror manufacturer would rather have the mirrors break off in a crash then have riders get impaled on mirror stalks.

Mine broke from vibration riding on dirt and gravel roads.
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #8
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
Now you need to make the matching base units.
The base units are designed to break. There are threads on this.
See how the base bolt is machined very thin.
Hi Ed,

You are describing a different kind of folding mirror. Pls see my first post to see pictures of the kind of KTM folding mirror for which I make these aluminium mounts.

These are the mirrors for which I make the mounts (picture is taken from the Original "KTM folding mirror" website : moto-science.com).

You see in the above picture, the folding/mounting elbow is a plastic unit. I simply make the mount/elbow in Aluminium. My Alu mounts won't fit the kind of mirrors that you have.

Quote:
FAR the mirror manufacturer would rather have the mirrors break off in a crash then have riders get impaled on mirror stalks.
Seriously ? Why would any manufacturer rather have the mirrors break off and then, have the rider get impaled on the mirror stalks ??

Or, are you just bad at grammar ?

Quote:
Mine broke from vibration riding on dirt and gravel roads.
The KTM folding mirrors sold by moto-science are pretty good and take a beating. Only in extra-ordinary cases when there is an impact at the critical spot, does the mount break. Mine have not broken due to vibrations. The mount broke when I dropped it, mounted on a 220kg bike on a baby head trail.

cheers

Vicks screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 04:37 AM