User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
maxboxa OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
am i a wimp? - center stand issue

i just bought an 1150gsa and am getting to know it. now, i'm a good size fella and can bench over 300 on a good day. why is it that i just can't seem to get this heifer up on the center stand? is it all technique?
maxboxa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,737
Lift up on the frame and push down on the centerstand with your foot at the same time.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
HomeR365
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Probably not

It is a fine mix of technique and muscle. I grab onto the black tube that is the support for the passenger foot peg, and do all my lifting and pulling there, while at the same time pushing down on the center stand. I think the trick is to be lifting the bike onto the stand rather than trying to pull it back onto it.
HomeR365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Also, make sure she is standing straight/vertical on the center stand--not cocked to one side or the other. Once you get the hang of it she will pop right up. Piece of cake.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 852
I had the same problem. Bought an 1150GSA a month ago and really struggled to get it on the stand at first. My R1200RT is not a small bike but I never had an issue getting it on the stand.

The trick for me is to grab it low by the passenger foot peg as mentioned above and pull it up and back with an emphasis on back. On the RT, really just had to push straight down with my foot on the center stand and it popped right up. Not so much with this monster.
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
RoverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeR365 View Post
It is a fine mix of technique and muscle. I grab onto the black tube that is the support for the passenger foot peg, and do all my lifting and pulling there, while at the same time pushing down on the center stand. I think the trick is to be lifting the bike onto the stand rather than trying to pull it back onto it.
Excellent explanation, spot on. May I add just a little to it? The trick is in the foot. You shouldnt have to actually "lift" anything. Mostly just firmly assisting up onto the center stand while applying firm pressure on the center stand foot peg with your foot. With a couple of attempts, you'll discover it's actually quite simple and crazy that your foot can lift such a heavy pig onto its center stand.
RoverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
maxboxa OP
Adventurer

Thanks all. Went out to the garage and managed to get it up with more oomph on the center stand peg. I guess that's the key. Of course I was sweating at that point and decided to come in for a beer.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Gs

With my 1200GS (I know - it's 60 lbs lighter and easier than an 1150) - it seems to be all about getting my full 215 lb lard-ass weight onto the centerstand lift. I don't really seem to lift the bike, just balance it as the counterweighting of the centerstand does the job.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,566
Has the bike been lowered? Lowered GS's are practically impossible to get onto the center stand.

Sorry, sounds like you've got it figured out.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
charles960
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
lowered is a great question

My trouble was always getting it OFF the CS fully loaded. The bike, not me.

Charles
Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 913
YES YOU ARE A WIMP...... just kidding

when I got my 12GSA, it was all muscle to stand it up.... Now all technique & no muscle...

It'll come to ya....

Oh yah: congrats on the new ride.....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!!!
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGS View Post
Excellent explanation, spot on. May I add just a little to it? The trick is in the foot. You shouldn't have to actually "lift" anything. Mostly just firmly assisting up onto the center stand while applying firm pressure on the center stand foot peg with your foot. With a couple of attempts, you'll discover it's actually quite simple and crazy that your foot can lift such a heavy pig onto its center stand.
Not so much the foot as making sure that you put all your weight on the foot while standing on the centerstand peg. Pretty easy if you weigh over 200, really difficult if you weigh less than that as you need to make up the difference with muscle. A good place to grab onto helps a lot with that, but if you are tall the passenger peg is too low. An RT has a nifty little fold-away handle just for this purpose but I have not seen one for a GS. Also, if your shocks have seen better days, then it gets harder as it has further to go. If I really want mine up on the centerstand I roll the front wheel up on a piece of 2x4 first.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukaWai View Post
An RT has a nifty little fold-away handle just for this purpose but I have not seen one for a GS.

This?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...60453-454.html
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,106
Colleen is a lightweight 62 year old Grandma. She can get her R1150GS on the center stand. I don't believe MUCH muscle is involved. It's designed in the bike. First you always have bike on sidestand. You have left hand on handlebar and right hand on bike frame. Then you put your right foot on the center stand foot pad and push the stand to the ground. Then you tilt the bike square so both sides of the center stand touch the ground. Then you 'STAND' on the foot pad, gently pulling the bike backwards ahold of the quarter frame about where the muffler is attached. It helps to really STAND on the pad, a really good knee bend stand. You can retract side stand after this for safety. I wouldn't try muscle-ing the bike up, you could hurt yourself.
She can also get it OFF the center stand whilst sat/stood on the bike. I reccomend having side stand UP for this manouver. This is harder to explain in print. It invloves a thrutch of the pelvic region. No, there are no pictures

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
maxboxa OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Colleen is a lightweight 62 year old Grandma. She can get her R1150GS on the center stand. I don't believe MUCH muscle is involved. It's designed in the bike. First you always have bike on sidestand. You have left hand on handlebar and right hand on bike frame. Then you put your right foot on the center stand foot pad and push the stand to the ground. Then you tilt the bike square so both sides of the center stand touch the ground. Then you 'STAND' on the foot pad, gently pulling the bike backwards ahold of the quarter frame about where the muffler is attached. It helps to really STAND on the pad, a really good knee bend stand. You can retract side stand after this for safety. I wouldn't try muscle-ing the bike up, you could hurt yourself.
She can also get it OFF the center stand whilst sat/stood on the bike. I reccomend having side stand UP for this manouver. This is harder to explain in print. It invloves a thrutch of the pelvic region. No, there are no pictures
I'm going to try this tomorrow. went back out to the garage and I'm 1 for 10 and just about to pop a blood vessel. I don't think it's lowered, but the rear tire is worn down and it's probably a little low on pressure.