Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,431
It's all technique......more push on the stand than pull on the bike does it for me, and I'm not a big guy.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
fasterlaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
It's all technique.
This is so true, and you WILL get the hang of it. Just continue to practice when appropriate.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
One motion

Try one smooth motion. Push with the foot, pull up and toward with the arms. All the older gents can do it easier than I can because they have the timing right. Find a level spot to practice.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
It's more stepping on the centerstand than lifting up on the bike, just a smooth motion and you got it!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #20
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 251
Also make sure the bike the bike is in NEUTRAL. I realized I was trying to make it roll back but the rear wheel was dragging! MUCH harder that way... rsrsrsrs... I was pulling so hard on that Wunderlich handle that my hand would show an imprint of it. Hope it helps.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #21
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 388
Wow

Whats next? How to remove the key?

Adventure on y'all...
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #22
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Had some problems initially too... But practice makes it easy
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybikefrank View Post
Whats next? How to remove the key?

Adventure on y'all...
A few (well,more than a few...) years ago I was visiting a friend in Boston, he was very happy after buying his first car, an authentic piece of junk. We drove to Cape Cod and parked near the beach. Upon leaving the car he could not remove the key. We inspected the surroundings for a release button, nothing. We decided to look for a mechanic, then car would not start!
We were saved by a young blond lady who offered to help and found out that the gear lever, althought displaying a glowing "P", had little a play and was not properly engaged.

So the answer is YES, I once needed instrctions on how to remove the key!
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I too have been practicing getting that beast up on the centerstand. It does seem to be technique as the sales guy does it pretty easily. I'm going to try some of the ideas suggested here. I've gotten it on the stand about 4 times, but it is not easy so far for me either.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 125
Foot placement

Not to be insulting but more than a few people try to put the bike up on the centerstand while putting their foot on the little tab that sticks out rather than the proper larger "pad". The tab is just to get the stand down so your foot can get to the pad. Just putting your weight on the pad does most of the work.

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Has the bike been lowered? Lowered GS's are practically impossible to get onto the center stand.

Sorry, sounds like you've got it figured out.
I use the commonly mentioned technique for lifting my R1200GS, pretty much standing on the CS extension and lifting on the frame. I just added lowered Ohlins shocks, and now it's considerably more difficult to lift it. In fact, I'm currently dealing with a pulled ligament in my center stand raisin' leg .

I think I'll be leaving the bike on it's side stand more often, particularly when loaded. On the plus side, the bike stands up a little more vertical on the side stand than it did before I changed out the shocks!
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 177 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #27
Bill seaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Helper block

I use a Park an Roll in the garage to store the bike on. A block wood under the back wheel makes getting up on the stand much easyer .. The wood is a 18x12x1 3/4 with rubber on the bottom to keep from sliding.A Handle helps also . The more you do it the easyer it is.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #28
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Check your tires

Believe it or not but, correct tire pressure has a lot to do with ease of deploying the center stand. Plus the taller you are, the easier it is.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,660
Quit bench pressing and work on your straight leg dead lifts.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
LARK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboxa View Post
I'm going to try this tomorrow. went back out to the garage and I'm 1 for 10 and just about to pop a blood vessel. I don't think it's lowered, but the rear tire is worn down and it's probably a little low on pressure.
Tuckers explanation is spot on. The problem many have is the fear the bike will tip over so they won't put their full weight on the stand. They'll also instinctively pull the bike toward their body at the same time. Then one of the center stand feet will lose contact with the ground. Once that happens all your doing is trying to do is manually lift you bike with your right hand.

I watched a 300 lb. coworker of mine unsuccessfully attempt to get his Goldwing on the center stand. I'm 230 but there's no doubt he's a lot stronger than I am. He's a big old boy. I asked him to step around to the right side of the bike and just hold the throttle grip while I gave it a go. Once I could feel both center stand feet were firmly contacting the ground I bent my knee a little and threw all my weight down on the pad. I pulled straight up on the frame with my right hand but not as much as you'd expect. That big bitch popped right up. I've never rode a Goldwing much less put one on the center stand. He looked at me with one of those WTF looks. He was pulling the bike toward his body and the right center stand foot was losing contact with the ground. I could tell he thought the bike would fall so he didn't trust the whole process.
Once the bike is vertical and you've got good pressure on the foot pad and firm contact with both center stand feet on the deck it can't fall over. Just throw your weight into it and follow through with the maneuver. It can't hurt to have someone stand on the other side of the bike if you're trying to build confidence or refine your technique. My older brother checked me out on center stands probably 35 years ago. Of course until 2 months ago I haven't owned a bike with a center stand in the last 20 years so I've had no practice in a long time. It's like riding a bike,once you know how you always will.
LARK is offline   Reply With Quote